About the ads

DAT Breakdown 6/27/2013

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by cav22188, Jun 27, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT

Thanks to DAT Destroyer
  1. cav22188

cav22188

Pre-Dental

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey Everyone! Just finished taking my DAT. Unfortunately, I didn't hit my goal, but just relieved to be done with. Hopefully, I can help someone achieve theirs.

Scores:
    PA 18 :(
    QR 21
    RC 17 :(
    Bio 22
    GC 21
    OC 24
    TS 22
    AA 21

Background: I'm a non-traditional student. I studied economics in undergraduate (2.8 GPA - I was very lazy!). After working for a year in finance, I quite my job to pursue dentistry. I returned to school and spent the past 2 years taking science courses (4.0 GPA over the past 50 credits).

Materials used: Cliffs, Barrons, Chads, Crack DAT, Destroyer and Math Destroyer, Alans notes, Ferralis notes

Practice: ADA 2007 (24 AA, 21 PAT) and 2009 (21 AA, 21 PAT)

Time spent studying: 6 weeks; 8-12 hours/day

Perceptual Ability (18): Crack DAT
    I was scoring 21-23 over 10 practice exams. Keyholes, TFE, and holepunch were harder on the real DAT. Angles and cube counting were definitely easier. Pattern folding was on par. Overall, CDP prepares you well. I just didn't execute.

Biology (22): Cliffs, Destroyer, Barrons, Alans, Ferralis
    There were a few fact questions, but for the most part, they were application type questions. Cliffs and Barron is sufficient. Destroyer was over kill.

General chemistry (21): Chads, Destroyer
    Thought I would've done better here. Chads prepares you pretty well. Mostly conceptual questions. Had a handful of calculations.

Organic chemistry (24): Chads, Destroyer
    Have a pretty strong background; however, Chad is enough to score well here. Mostly conceptual questions. Reactions were simple. Had 2-3 simple lab questions

Reading Comprehension (17): Crack DAT
    I'm not sure what happened here. I started off skimming/taking notes the first two passages. By the time I got to the third passage, I only had 15 minutes left. So, I decided to search and destroy. Time Management is critical! Try to limit yourself to max. 20 minutes/passage. Had to randomly guess on about 10 questions. Feel pretty lucky to come out with a 17

Quantitative reasoning (21): Destroyer, Math Destroyer
    After practicing enough, you should know which types of questions you can do pretty quickly. I would skip the tough ones, and solve the easy ones first. This can build your confidence and allow you to really focus on the tougher ones. Practice Math Destroyer under timed conditions. This part really tests your ability to handle stress.

Suggestions: Plan ahead before you start your studying. This can really reduce the amount of stress. I used the 8 week plan as template but modified it to 6 weeks. I was burnt out the few days leading to my test. So try to take breaks- go watch a movie, workout, or whatever takes your mind off the DAT. I also made flashcards on my weak areas.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to everyone this cycle! :)
  2. themrn

themrn

Pre-Dental
    what would be a good example of application type question for bio?

(not asking exactly what was on the test, but just want to grasp an idea of type of Qs)

thank you!
  3. lr2014

lr2014

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For example, X and Y happens because of Z, what would happens to Z if W was added/removed. Kinda like that.
  4. hawkeye712

hawkeye712

Pre-Dental
    Congrats on the score!

Do you think Ferralis notes was too detailed?
  5. aznnytezx

aznnytezx

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If a certain bacteria was able to surpass the stomach acid, but never needed to rely on B lymphocytes and T lymphocytes to destroy the bacteria. Eventually though, the bacteria ended up being destroyed.

What kind of assumptions can you make from this passage?

A. Histamine triggers vasodilation
    B. Mucous membrane releases mucus that contains antimicrobial substance
    C. Antibodies were producing rapidly
    D. Plasma cells were involved

Probably something like that
  6. aznnytezx

aznnytezx

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I second that, I am wondering the same thing.
  7. sosozozo

sosozozo

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Whats the answer for this question? is it B ? just curious
  8. aznnytezx

aznnytezx

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just made it up, idunno if I am even wording the questions right. As you know, i am not the ADA. lol

Anyways, I made the answer A, just because it surpasses the primary defense (the stomach acid). I would think the mucous and stomach acids are on par, if the stomach acids cannot destroy it. Then primary defense would not really work. So the next step is secondary defense, which is histamine.

It has never reached B and T, so third general defense is out of the way.
  9. Illfavor

Illfavor

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That might be more coherent. I couldn't really tell what you were asking.
  10. biomolecmed

biomolecmed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    A job well done. Congratulations.
  11. gn4

gn4

Pre-Dental
    Congrats...well done
  12. cav22188

cav22188

Pre-Dental
    For some areas, definitely. The questions on the DAT are not on the level of detail presented in his notes nor in most study guides, particularly in the areas of plants and taxonomy. I used Ferralis notes in my comprehensive review in the few days before my exam. Personally, I liked Alan's notes- much more condensed.
  13. Dotoday

Dotoday

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Good job. Congratulations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk