DAT Breakdown 7/5/12 - Real DAT vs. Kaplan, datqvault and Crack the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longalf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT Breakdown 7/5/12:

BIO 18
GC 20
OC 22
PAT 20
RC 20
QR 18
TS 20
AA 20

I used this site countless times in preparation for the DAT and thought I'd give my two cents. I also haven't seen too many post of scores that are less than mid-20's range, so hopefully this will give some hope to the more "normal" people like me who aren't in the 95th percentile in everything.

I did the Kaplan, Course Saver, Crack the DAT PAT and datqvault.

First 4 months: Went through the 8 week Kaplan course twice and studied the Review Notes/flash cards for a few hours a day 4 times a week. Took all the quizzes, section tests and additional assignments

Last 4 weeks: Did Course Saver - watched all the GC, most of OC and some QR. Did most of the quizzes in all the sections. datqvault - took practice tests in science sections a few times a week. Studied 8-10 hours a day 4 times a week. Took Kaplan full length tests weekly.

Last 2 weeks: CDP - took one practice exam every day. Took remaining Kaplan full length tests.

I'll give a breakdown of my scores and what I did to prepare.

BIO

Kaplan scores: 17, 17, 21, 16, 17, 22
datqvault scores: 19, 19, 17, 18, 18, 17

Preparation:
I read most of the Kaplan Review Notes, did most of the review questions and went through the course. I'm a non-science major and only took intro-biology, evolution, cell biology, and physiology. I was confident in all of these areas except evolution. I didn't really study much ecology, taxonomy or genetics. I did just the basics from the Kaplan course in these areas. I also memorized all of the Kaplan flash cards and made my own cards of all the practice test questions I missed. In addition, I went over basic concepts of things I didn't understand from datqvault tests and made flash cards. This is the hardest section in my opinion because there is so much information covered. I did well on a few practice exams but very poorly on others. For this section you either know it or you don't.

Actual DAT: 18
I thought that it was very random stuff they asked. I honestly thought that I was going to get a 16 on this section. There were questions about things I have never heard of. There were a few questions about lab work and ecology I just guessed. There was only one physiology question and one more of anatomy. I felt like this section is the least consistent and you can either get lucky or unlucky depending on what areas of biology you are strong at. I was very pleased with an 18 because I thought I got completely destroyed. I thought the Kaplan tests either had a lot of one topic or none at all, not too balanced of material. datqvault was similar to the real thing, but again this section is tough just due to the volume of info you need to know.

GC

Kaplan scores: 16, 16, 17, 14, 19, 16
datqvault scores: 20, 19, 20, 19, 20, 19

Preparation:
I initially went through the Kaplan course, read through all the review notes and questions, and memorized all the flash cards. After all of this I was still getting 16's on my practice tests. I finally got Course Saver and did that for 4 weeks before my test. I watched all the videos and did all the quizzes. I feel that I learned way more through Chad's lectures than all of my Kaplan preparation for this section. I took great notes and would try and duplicate all the things he went over without referring to anything.

Actual DAT: 20
I felt very confident going into this section. There were probably only 5-6 calculations and most of them you didn't have to solve but just select the set-up. There were a few lab questions and some random questions that I had no clue about. Overall it was straight forward, very similar to datqvault. I think datqvault is an almost perfect representation of the actual test. Kaplan has too many calculation problems that do not appear on the real test and is more difficult than the real thing. There are more general concept questions than solving calculations. Chad's videos helped a ton with this section.

OC

Kaplan scores: 20, 19, 18, 18, 17, 14
datqvault scores: 19, 21, 26, 19, 20, 20

Preparation:
I prepared the least for this section. I was a TA for Ochem II the semester before I took the DAT, and am pretty comfortable with this chemistry. I didn't do much of anything from Kaplan except review some reactions and spectroscopy. I did watch most of the Course Saver lectures and did a lot of the quizzes. I highly recommend Chad's lectures for this section, it is the best use of your time. He teaches what you need to know, and tells you what you don't need to worry about. I am glad I watched his lectures as a means of review. I also did the datqvault for practice.

Actual DAT: 22
There was nothing too foreign to me on this section. A lot of general reaction stuff. A few detailed questions that I wasn't positive about. There were a few naming, spectroscopy, lab and mechanism questions but mostly reactions. datqvault had some inconsistencies and a few errors, but was good practice. With Kaplan I always would spend like 40+ minutes on GC and would be rushed to finish OC in 15-20 minutes so I had lower scores on the practice tests. I would recommend spending most of your time memorizing and using the basic reactions in the Kaplan book but more so Course Saver.

PAT

Kaplan scores: 20, 21, 20, 21, 22
Crack the Dat scores: 20, 20, 19, 18, 23, 20, 21, 19, 21

Preparation:
Keyholes - just visualized and eliminated choices. FTE - event counting and visualize. Hole punching - used 4x4 grid method and marked holes while visualizing unfolding. Angles - look at answers, find smallest or largest, compare middle angles and eliminate choices. Cubes - used chart and tally method. Pattern folding - look for unique shapes and fold pattern over answer choices.

I thought that I had done a lot better than 20 on the PAT. I had about 7 minutes left over and I went through about 10 that I marked. I was expecting to get at least a 22 and was pretty disappointed in my score. I had been told that Kaplan was way too easy in the PAT so I got the 10 CDP tests. I felt that Kaplan was pretty accurate to the actual DAT except the angles and cubes were too easy and maybe keyholes.

CDP was a better preparation than Kaplan. The figures for the keyholes and TFE were right on, but the CDP options were too dissimilar. I would average 14/15 TFE on CDP because I would just count events and eliminate, but that doesn't work with most options on the actual test. They are so similar it is hard to distinguish the right one. I struggled a bit on that part. Angles were a little easier on the actual DAT than CDP. Cubes were easier on actual DAT because there were not so many, maybe 15 for each figure as opposed to 20 or 25 for CDP. Pattern folding was similar.

RC

Kaplan scores: 21, 18, 17, 19, 18, 17
datqvault scores: 22, 21

Preparation:
I am the worst at reading comprehension. I have a terrible time concentrating on a passage and am always getting distracted thinking about something else and have to reread things several times. This section was tough for me and I knew that it wasn't my strongpoint. I tried all the methods: search and destroy, detailed reading with no notes, detailed reading with notes, skimming and noting topic sentences, skimming and noting keywords and topic sentences, detailed reading and noting summary of paragraphs and a combination of everything. I finally found that detailed reading with detailed notes worked best for me. This is completely up to the person. I have a friend that did this method and got a 26 and another friend that did only S&D and also got a 26, so it is individual based. I would spend 10-12 minutes reading the passage, and 8-10 minutes answering questions per passage.

I could feel the fatigue setting in at this point. I had a little trouble focusing but was fine after a few minutes when adrenaline kicked in. The first passage I did my practiced method of detailed reading with detailed notes, but took too much time. I started the second passage with 35 minutes left and got pretty nervous. I read faster and took less notes and had to do a little S&D on the last two passages. I did better than I expected in this section. I was pleased with my 20 because I knew I was weak in this area. I think the Kaplan tests were just like the actual DAT. The 2 datqvault tests I took were a little too easy but still good practice.

QR

Kaplan: 13, 13, 17, 18, 19, 16
datqvault: 21, 17, 18, 19, 20

Preparation:
I did the Kaplan course and read most of the Review Notes with questions. I spent a full week just doing math and feel like I wasted a lot of time reading and figuring out tips from Kaplan. I then watched most of Course Saver videos and did the quizzes. This helped a lot and gave some good tips for fractions, probability, ratios and more.

Actual DAT: 18
I knew that I could not get through the entire section and do every problem. I didn't know trigonometry or geometry very well, but got very quick with algebra, fractions and rate problems. So I would just guess and mark the trig/geometry problems unless I knew I could do it really fast. I marked 7-8 problems, but had about 5 minutes left over. I went back and figured a few out that I had marked. Kaplan was very similar to actual DAT. datqvault was a little easier but still good practice. It must be really hard to score in the 20's in QR because I was in the 85th percentile with my 18. Just take as many timed practiced tests in this areas a possible and figure out how to do them fast as you review the answers.

If I could go back in time I would do a lot differently to prepare for the DAT. Here is what I'd recommend:

1. Don't do Kaplan. The Review Notes/flash cards/quicksheets are extremely useful but you can find them online for like $50. Paying over $1000 is not worth it. If you are going to spend that much you can use that money elsewhere and in my opinion get better resources. I think the Kaplan resources are the best for BIO. Buy that stuff online, but don't waste your money on the entire course.

2. Get Course Saver. Chad's videos for GC and OC are the best preparation out of anything for these sections. He is also very helpful for QR. I would get a two month membership and go through his lectures once, take some practice tests and go through his lectures again on areas that you are weak in. It's only $40 a month, totally worth it.

3. Get Crack the DAT PAT. I think this is the best preparation for the PAT. This is all you need for this section. I would get the 10 tests, it costs $120. I would recommend taking a bunch of these a few weeks leading up to the exam. The PAT is all about practice and doing it a lot like 2 weeks before your test will help the most.

4. Get datqvault. The BIO, GC and OC are really similar to the real DAT. The RC and QR are easier but it is still great practice. To get 10 exams in each section (6 in RC) it is only $100 and will last 3 months. I think it is totally worth your money for how many tests they offer. I would do these as you are going or re-going through Chad's videos to gauge where you are at with GC and OC. Gauge where you are at with BIO. You can also get some exposure to RC and QR. You can also set these up to take them all in a row and simulate a TS section or full length exam supplemented with CDP.

5. In replacement of the Kaplan full length exams I would for sure get TopScorePro. It's only $60 for 3 full length exams. I would do these a few weeks before the actual DAT, and use the previously mentioned materials to prepare for these tests, doing a lot of study and practice in between.

6. If you feel like you need more full lengths than try the ADEA sample DAT or look elsewhere, but I think the first 5 items will be sufficient.

Please reply to this thread if you have any questions or comments about anything I have discussed. I wish all of you preparing for the DAT the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I am finding it very hard to judge how i am doing from the kaplan full-length exams. They seem to present the same Q's over and over. By the time I got to the online tests (part of the overall package and available after you finish the other full-legth tests) I felt like I was mostly training to Kaplan and not to the DAT.

I haven't tried qvault. If I want to take a practice test to see how i am doing, you think qvault represents the exam best?

Also, great scores, good job : )!

Last edited:
Congrats on the great scores and thanks so much for your breakdown. I have read many and each one helps me know what works.

My biggest weakness is Math. I finished test 9 in Math destroyer, and while I did better than my previous pitiful exams I still don't have speed. My geometry has improved but I can't do complex trig identities to save my life. I pray they only have a couple of those or they are simple.

My fear is that I have spent too much time with math and not enough with chem. I completed Chad's gen chem and quizzes and I'm starting Orgo tomorrow. I also plan to start gen chem destroyer this weekend. I just pray I can cram it all in before my first practice exam which I'm planning to do in 2 weeks. My exam is in 5 weeks and I'm really nervous....the wealth of info is overwhelming!

Well done! Congratz! solid scores! In my opinion, as long as you are around 20, you have done well. It only takes a few mistakes to drop scores significantly...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finding it very hard to judge how i am doing from the kaplan full-length exams. They seem to present the same Q's over and over. By the time I got to the online tests (part of the overall package and available after you finish the other full-legth tests) I felt like I was mostly training to Kaplan and not to the DAT.

I haven't tried qvault. If I want to take a practice test to see how i am doing, you think qvault represents the exam best?

Also, great scores, good job : )!

Response:

I think Kaplans full-length exams are great practice. I think the OC, RC and QR are pretty accurate to the actual DAT. I fee like the BIO is weird in the sense that it doesn't cover the broad range of topics that will appear on the real test. For example one test there will be like 8 questions on cell bio and none on ecology, then the next test will be just the opposite. GC there are too many calculations and it is harder. PAT is a little easier especially hole punching, angles and cubes.

datqvault is a great supplemental practice. They have so many questions and so many tests that are great to gauge where you are at. I think the sciences are really accurate in regards to the real DAT. I for sure would invest the $100 to have access to all of those exams. Plus you get them for 3 months.

What are your Kaplan full-length scores so far?

Great scores!! You did fantastic! I basically mentioned the same thing about Kaplan in my breakdown too. OC and QR were eerily similar to DAT, but still not worth the price tag on the class. Did you do the online or on-site class as well?

Congrats on the great scores and thanks so much for your breakdown. I have read many and each one helps me know what works.

My biggest weakness is Math. I finished test 9 in Math destroyer, and while I did better than my previous pitiful exams I still don't have speed. My geometry has improved but I can't do complex trig identities to save my life. I pray they only have a couple of those or they are simple.

My fear is that I have spent too much time with math and not enough with chem. I completed Chad's gen chem and quizzes and I'm starting Orgo tomorrow. I also plan to start gen chem destroyer this weekend. I just pray I can cram it all in before my first practice exam which I'm planning to do in 2 weeks. My exam is in 5 weeks and I'm really nervous....the wealth of info is overwhelming!

Response:

I literally spent a week reading all the math chapters in the Kaplan Review Notes, answering the questions and taking quizzes and not improving my scores at all. If you have 5 weeks and are dedicating 30-40 hours a week studying you will be fine. I only had one trig function question and a few complex geometry questions. Like I said in my breakdown, I'm not good at trig or 3d geometry so I just skipped those and made sure I did the ones I knew I could do fast and get them right. Initially I would try and do every question but ended up running out of time and guessing on the last 8-10. Practice what you know well and then when you get all the algebra, percentages, ratios, fractions, probability, etc. down you can worry about the stuff you need to go back and study. Check out Chad's videos, he offers some valuable tips to working specific problems. That's just what I did because it was one of my weak areas.

For GC and OC I'd for sure recommend going through all of Chad's videos. For me they were more beneficial than reading any textbook, or taking tons of quizzes and reviewing solutions. I got a solid foundation from his videos. I would recommend taking notes only on stuff you don't know really well, and then explain them to yourself and write on whiteboard or something going over everything. Also, take his quizzes as you go through each day, and retake the ones you did poorly on a week later or so.

I didn't you Destroyer, but I've heard it is hard and good practice. Just don't get discouraged, that will just feed your anxiety! You'll do great if you set aside the time and effectively and actively study.

Great scores!! You did fantastic! I basically mentioned the same thing about Kaplan in my breakdown too. OC and QR were eerily similar to DAT, but still not worth the price tag on the class. Did you do the online or on-site class as well?

Response:

Thanks! I initially did the Kaplan online classroom then used the repeat and did the on-demand course. They really do have great resources as far as their materials and online quizzes/full-length exams, but just not that great of instruction to spend over $1000. I didn't think the instructors that led the course were very knowledgeable about what the DAT specifically covers. You definitely don't pay for the lectures, only for the materials and resources. I definitely would not pay that much for it if I were to do it again. There are so many other options that you can bundle together that end up being way cheaper and in my opinion more effective.

Response:

Thanks! I initially did the Kaplan online classroom then used the repeat and did the on-demand course. They really do have great resources as far as their materials and online quizzes/full-length exams, but just not that great of instruction to spend over $1000. I didn't think the instructors that led the course were very knowledgeable about what the DAT specifically covers. You definitely don't pay for the lectures, only for the materials and resources. I definitely would not pay that much for it if I were to do it again. There are so many other options that you can bundle together that end up being way cheaper and in my opinion more effective.

Yes, exactly my thoughts. It was just too difficult to fit that amount of material into 2 class sessions for each section. Especially bio. Anyway, we're through! Thank goodness, right?! Good luck to you on your applications and etc!!

Yes, exactly my thoughts. It was just too difficult to fit that amount of material into 2 class sessions for each section. Especially bio. Anyway, we're through! Thank goodness, right?! Good luck to you on your applications and etc!!

Response:

Thanks! I know. I am so relieved. It is so nice not having to study every night/weekend after classes and work. . . Best of luck to you as well!