DAT Breakdown 7/5/16 AA: 27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMikes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT BREAKDOWN 7/5/16
Glad to be done and be able to usher in summer and some relaxation!

I’ll keep this very brief so those of you procrastinating can get back to studying. :eyebrow:

If you have any questions, DM me or post in the comments and I’ll do my best to try and get back to you!

AA: 27

Bio: 26

- Breadth over depth; relatively easy questions over a large range of topics. For this section, it’s better to know a little about a lot rather than a lot about a little.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (1.5X), Feralis’ Notes (1X), Russelldw Notes (2X)

Gen Chem: 24

- To be totally honest, this is the score I’m most disappointed in. I had a lot of weird, funky, conceptual ones/application. No exceedingly difficult calculations.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (1.25X), Chad’s Videos (1X)

Organic: 30

- Pretty basic. No confusing reactions.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (.5X), Chad’s Videos (1X)

QR: 30

- Not bad. Math and logic puzzles. Generally speaking, if you think logically about a problem you can eliminate most of the answers right off the bat.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (.25X), Math Destroyer 2016 (.5X)

Reading: 25

- Nothing too difficult. Some terribly worded questions meant to throw you off, though.

Perceptual: 21

- Apparently I’m just not that great at visualizing things--and the clarity was sub-par.

Materials: Bootcamp

I took all the Bootcamp practice tests. Didn’t really take the ’07 or ’09 DAT with any thoroughness (flew through the sciences in <30 min).

In my opinion, Bootcamp, Chad, Destroyer are excellent. I really liked Russelldw’s notes; easy to understand and just thorough enough. And Feralis’, well, they’re thorough and well put together. Great resource!

Time spent studying: ~ 2 weeks or so. Yeah, was a long two weeks

S/O To Ari (@Ari Rezaei) , Chad, Dr. Romano and Nancy (@orgoman22) , Feralis (@FeralisExtremum) and Russelldw (@russelldw) —couldn’t have done as well as I did without you all.

Again, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to expand on anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Also, what were your scores on bootcamp like?
I flew through the bootcamp tests pretty quick, didn't double check my work at all.
I did much better on the real thing!

Bio/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/AA
Test 1: 23 22 21 22 20 19 22
Test 2: 18 21 21 21 22 21 21
Test 3: 19 24 24 24 30 20 24
Test 4: 19 23 24 26 23 21 23
Test 5: 23 20 22 22 30 20 23

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa Congrats! Glad my bio notes helped. Have fun at Harvard!

Reactions: 8 users
I flew through the bootcamp tests pretty quick, didn't double check my work at all.
I did much better on the real thing!

Bio/GC/OC/RC/QR/PAT/AA
Test 1: 23 22 21 22 20 19 22
Test 2: 18 21 21 21 22 21 21
Test 3: 19 24 24 24 30 20 24
Test 4: 19 23 24 26 23 21 23
Test 5: 23 20 22 22 30 20 23
No offense but there is no way the average person can pull this off in 2 weeks of studying! Just curious, but what is your science and math background for you to have been able to do all of this in such a condensed time (in addition to be able to execute it so well)

No offense but there is no way the average person can pull this off in 2 weeks of studying! Just curious, but what is your science and math background for you to have been able to do all of this in such a condensed time (in addition to be able to execute it so well)
I'm a sophomore in college, bio major. I'll graduate a year early (next spring). I've taken Intro bio, both o chems, o chem lab, intro biochem, and an accelerated gen chem course.
Math background - never took college math (except intro stats). Tested out of everything I needed to from AP.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't recommend trying to do it all in two weeks. Different things work for different people! I didn't even feel prepared walking into the testing center this morning (although I doubt I ever would have).

NICE work!!!! You dominated that exam!!! Have you decided which school you will be attending? ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you used russel notes. I am using them as well. 2 weeks? I am speechless. Congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a sophomore in college, bio major. I'll graduate a year early (next spring). I've taken Intro bio, both o chems, o chem lab, intro biochem, and an accelerated gen chem course.
Math background - never took college math (except intro stats). Tested out of everything I needed to from AP.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't recommend trying to do it all in two weeks. Different things work for different people! I didn't even feel prepared walking into the testing center this morning (although I doubt I ever would have).
You studied for 2 weeks and are only a sophomore? Dude you are brilliant haha. Congrats on the great scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome job!

I think one thing everyone should learn from this is take your DAT right after you finish your prerequisites. I'm so regretting it now. The material wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been 2-3 years since I've seen it haha.

Reactions: 2 users
wow congrats! time for me to retake my 23... its looking pretty poverty now!

NICE work!!!! You dominated that exam!!! Have you decided which school you will be attending? ;)
Thanks! Right now I'm looking at Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa, or Michigan but that may change!

Last edited:
Great score!!!
Thanks!

You studied for 2 weeks and are only a sophomore? Dude you are brilliant haha. Congrats on the great scores.

Thank you!

Awesome job!

I think one thing everyone should learn from this is take your DAT right after you finish your prerequisites. I'm so regretting it now. The material wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been 2-3 years since I've seen it haha.

2-3 years without exposure to the material would be much more difficult, that's for sure!

Flawless and impeccable scores. Congrats!

Thank you very much!

wow congrats! time for me to retake my 23... its looking pretty poverty now!

Thank you! A 23 is an awesome score!

Wow, that's super impressive! :D Question about bio: I'm going through Cliffs and Feralis's notes, and there are just so many terms and little things that I've never learned in such detail before. Do you have any tips on how to learn or memorize it all? Did you bother taking notes, or just read through everything like a book? Also, I've never heard of Russelldw's notes. Where can I find them? Thanks!

Wow, that's super impressive! :D Question about bio: I'm going through Cliffs and Feralis's notes, and there are just so many terms and little things that I've never learned in such detail before. Do you have any tips on how to learn or memorize it all? Did you bother taking notes, or just read through everything like a book? Also, I've never heard of Russelldw's notes. Where can I find them? Thanks!
Honestly, I started making note cards but I knew I wouldn't have time to review them so I stopped. I relied moreso on just typing little facts or tidbits of info into a document for things I wasn't familiar with and briefly reviewing those. If you check in @russelldw 's breakdown his notes should be in there!

DAT BREAKDOWN 7/5/16
Glad to be done and be able to usher in summer and some relaxation!

I’ll keep this very brief so those of you procrastinating can get back to studying. :eyebrow:

If you have any questions, DM me or post in the comments and I’ll do my best to try and get back to you!

AA: 27

Bio: 26

- Breadth over depth; relatively easy questions over a large range of topics. For this section, it’s better to know a little about a lot rather than a lot about a little.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (1.5X), Feralis’ Notes (1X), Russelldw Notes (2X)

Gen Chem: 24

- To be totally honest, this is the score I’m most disappointed in. I had a lot of weird, funky, conceptual ones/application. No exceedingly difficult calculations.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (1.25X), Chad’s Videos (1X)

Organic: 30

- Pretty basic. No confusing reactions.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (.5X), Chad’s Videos (1X)

QR: 30

- Not bad. Math and logic puzzles. Generally speaking, if you think logically about a problem you can eliminate most of the answers right off the bat.

Materials: Destroyer 2016 (.25X), Math Destroyer 2016 (.5X)

Reading: 25

- Nothing too difficult. Some terribly worded questions meant to throw you off, though.

Perceptual: 21

- Apparently I’m just not that great at visualizing things--and the clarity was sub-par.

Materials: Bootcamp

I took all the Bootcamp practice tests. Didn’t really take the ’07 or ’09 DAT with any thoroughness (flew through the sciences in <30 min).

In my opinion, Bootcamp, Chad, Destroyer = Invaluable. I really liked Russelldw’s notes; easy to understand and just thorough enough. And Feralis’, well, they’re thorough and well put together. Great resource!

Time spent studying: ~ 2 weeks or so. Yeah, was a long two weeks

S/O To Ari (@Ari Rezaei) , Chad, Dr. Romano and Nancy (@orgoman22) , Feralis (@FeralisExtremum) and Russelldw (@russelldw) —couldn’t have done as well as I did without you all.

Again, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to expand on anything!

Congratulations! :claps::claps:

Wow, excellent scores and you will have no problem getting into the schools on your list. With such high scores, I am going to assume you have a high GPA to match. I would definitely apply to any school you desire. Although 2 weeks study would not work for the vast majority of students, it worked for you and that's all the counts.

Thanks for the shout out and taking the time to answer questions.

Have a wonderful summer and get ready for the interview invites to roll in.

Nancy and Dr. Romano

Reactions: 3 users
Not only are you brilliant, you are a future teller because I am procrastinating studying to look at DAT breakdowns! it helps when my soul starts to die a little from studying. Amazing scores tho!

I studied for 2.5 weeks and got a 20AA :laugh:
Congrats on getting into any school you want, especially combined with your GPA!

Just incredible...Congratulations and enjoy the rest of your summer!

How many were you getting right on the destroyer math before you took the DAT? How did the math in destroyer compare to the math on the DAT?

How many were you getting right on the destroyer math before you took the DAT? How did the math in destroyer compare to the math on the DAT?
Hi! I was getting most of them right, but I've always excelled in math. DAT Destroyer was pretty representative, although many of the questions on the DAT were longer. They were simple, just longer to work out. Math Destroyer was a bit harder but not exceedingly so.

Do you mean two weeks studying, or two weeks in terms of hours? Two very different things. Also, congrats!

Do you mean two weeks studying, or two weeks in terms of hours? Two very different things. Also, congrats!
Thanks!

Two weeks in terms of 14 days... Although it was probably pretty close to in terms of hours with some of the study sessions I was pulling! :):laugh:

Those are some awesome scores!
What did you do on the week/days before the exam?
Also, what was the RC strategy that you used for the test?
Thanks! Leading up to the exam I was primarily doing practice exams to get my timing down.

For RC I did a search and destroy/mapping hybrid. I would read the first question and then proceed to read the passage, when i found the answer I would click to the next question and then continue to read the passage until I happened upon that answer. Generally, my questions were in order, so it was a very effective strategy!

Thanks! Leading up to the exam I was primarily doing practice exams to get my timing down.

For RC I did a search and destroy/mapping hybrid. I would read the first question and then proceed to read the passage, when i found the answer I would click to the next question and then continue to read the passage until I happened upon that answer. Generally, my questions were in order, so it was a very effective strategy!
That's what I plan on using combined with BYU4YOU's balanced approach. Glad it works, as it has brought up my practice RC by 3 points.
Other than the practice exams, did you do any review of Destroyer or Chad's quizzes or especially any bio stuff?

Last edited: