DAT Breakdown 8/25/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdental1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would do better... but here is my small breakdown of the DAT. I'm debating to myself if I want to retake it in 3 months because I think I can do better. What do you guys think I should do? My stats are 3.5 GPA and 3.3 sGPA from CA, going to apply next cycle to mainly CA schools and East Coast.

PAT 22 (93%)
QR 24 (99.4%) :)
RC 19
BIO 18 :(
GC 20
OC 21
TS 20
AA 20 (93%)

Study Time: 3 months ( used Dentalworks 8 weeks study plan while taking Kaplan On Site course)

Materials:
- Kaplan Course (not worth it, way too expensive)
- AP Cliffs Bio
- DAT Destroyer 2012
- DAT Math Destroyer 2012
- Crack DAT PAT - 10 Test
- Achiever 3 Test
- Topscore
- DAT Q-vault
- Chads' Video GC/OC

Practice Test Scores:
In my opinion, I thought the Real DAT was very similar to Topscore's and Q-vault's difficulty. Achiever was way to hard and out of scope.
screenshot20120826at613.png

Test Day:

PAT 22:
Keyhole- On par with CDP and Achiever, nothing too out there if I remembered correctly. I usually look at each answer and cross them out if they look weird so that always helps me eliminate answers quickly.
Top Front End- Not too bad, Line counting worked on some of them and there were some that you would just have to know if it was dashed or solid.
Angles- A little easier than CDP, a lot less 3 degrees different ones.
Hole Punch- Didn't have any 1/3 punches, but I did get a punch where the circle was super tiny and in the middle of the paper which made no sense to me... probably got that one wrong. I used the Grid Method that someone on SDN posted a couple weeks back.
Cube Count- I had one illusion question which threw me off, but other than that I would just do CDP as it would prepare you well.
Pattern Folding- Way different than CDP, I wouldn't say harder but there were less shaded questions and a lot more of just folding random shapes.

BIO 18:
I got a lot of cell bio questions and barely any physiology questions -__- There were no plant questions on mine. By the looks of my score, it was a rough start for me during this section. If I decide to retake it, I would definitely re-study Cliff's Bio, and make sure I knew all of Destroyer because a lot of the questions were in there. I really thought I could of pulled at least a 20 in this section but it was way to random for me.

GC 20:
Chads Video definitely helped refreshed everything here. Had about 5 math based problems and the rest were conceptual ones. All the math ones the answer were just to set up the problem, so there was no need to do any real math on the test.

OC 21:
Same goes for Chads Video here. Nothing too random, everything could be found in Chad's or Destroyer. I would recommend reviewing the harder reactions since I had about 3 on mine and got mixed up on which one they were. Also review, the names of major reactions and what they do.

RC 19:
On par with TopScore. Never was really good at RC. I would skim through the first couple of questions than read the passage and look for the answer. After, I would do Search and Destroy. I had way more tone/ inference questions than expected, something that I wasn't expecting.

QR 24:
JUST DO MATH DESTROYER. Remember formulas and conversion there were a couple on there. Every question I had was similar or not as exact same as the questions in Destroyer.

I want to thank everyone on SDN as I probably couldn't have done this without y'all :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

good job congrats. Your dat score is def. above average no need for any frowny faces. But you gpa is is average and you should be able to score some interviews and acceptances.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)