About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

DAT breakdown 9/13/2013

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jyjuang, Sep 13, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT

Thanks to DAT Destroyer
  1. jyjuang

jyjuang

Pre-Dental

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Just finished my DAT a couple of hours ago. For the longest of time, I've been a lurker on SDN (look at my post# :laugh:). Reading people's breakdowns and feedbacks on this site really helped me a lot in my preparation for the real deal. For people who will be taking their DAT soon, I wish you the best of luck. Be confident! You don't want to let all that study time go to waste by being nervous on test day.

[​IMG]

PAT: 20 (81.0%) :shrug:
    QR: 26 (99.8%)
    RC: 21 (88.9%)
    Bio: 24 (99.6%)
    GC: 24 (98.0%)
    OC: 24 (97.9%)
    TS: 24 (99.7%)
    AA: 24 (99.9%)

Study materials:
    DAT destroyer (2010 edition)
    DAT Bootcamp (full package) :thumbup:
    Datqvault (full bio + free tests for other sections)
    CrackDatPAT (6 tests only, had to reformat my pc and was told that i needed to purchase another key, which i did not do)
    Cliffs 3rd edition :thumbup:
    Feralis notes (best bio source ever! Can't believe it's free) :love:
    Chad's videos on GC/OC :thumbup:
    KBB :thumbdown:thumbdown
    Achiever (3 tests edition) :rofl:

PAT Bootcamp (10/10) CDP (10/10) Achiever (9/10)
    Looking at my score, I don't think I'm qualified to make recommendations on this section. But I started this section by reading KBB's descriptions of each section and doing the practice problems in the book. Please do not just use KBB as your only source for PAT as the questions were not even close to what actually appeared on the DAT. I purchased the 10 test edition of CDP later on and did 6 full test simulations and numerous hole punching and angle ranking practices. Then I moved on to DATBootCamp. I never really had a problem with cube counting so I did not use any methods while doing this section. I am pretty terrible at angle ranking as I could never be 100% confident if my answer was correct or not. I tried numerous methods, the quick eye technique, the slope method, laptop....but in the end, after you narrowed down your choices to 2, it's simply based on instincts for me. TFE and keyholes are of the same difficulty of CDP. There are really no tricks to these sections except being attentive to details for keyholes and having a good eye in visualizing the structures by examining dash line/solid lines. Pattern folding is much easier on the DAT than anything on CDP/BootCamp. Focus on one part (unique shape, usually top piece of the structure and what it is connected to) of the pattern really helps! Hole punching is the section I want to place my emphasis on because in my opinion, everyone, and I mean everyone could get a 15/15 on this section if you've done enough practices with applying the line of symmetry technique.

I averaged around 17-20 on BootCamp (do they keep a record of your scores?). In terms of individual sections, keyhole and pattern folding are harder than what I saw on my DAT. The rest are pretty much representative of what you are going to see on the test (yes, angles do come in 3 degrees differences for the large part of the test). Although DBC has harder problems than the real test, their explanations to the problems are GODLY, so do purchase this material if you are struggling with PAT.

I think I averaged around 22 on my CDP tests. However, those are inflated scores because for the longest of time, I always thought we have 90mins to complete the PAT (I was confused as to why the software has 60mins as default). I was like ROFLOMFG when I realized we only have 60mins to comlete those 90 questions. TIMING is KEY. Try to follow Ari's suggestions on time per section. In terms of individual sections, pattern folding is harder, and the rest are good representations of the real test (except that you can't use line counting method of the real thing).

My scores for achiever are 17/17/18. Although I do agree that achiever is much harder (except for angle ranking), I really like their explanations for TFE. They give you a 3D structure of every wrong TFE choices so you know why the TFE you pick was incorrect.

In terms of most representative of the test: CDP > BootCamp > > Achiever
    In terms of explanation: BootCamp >= Achiever > CDP

QR BootCamp (10/10) Achiever (8/10) DAT Destroyer (9/10)
    I did not really prepare for this section as I am pretty good at non-calculus math. I like word problems. My only concern going into the test was probability, permutations, and combinations. Luckily I only got 1 problem on combination on the test (which I probably missed). In terms of recommendations, I would strongly encourage you to memorize some trig identity (just the simple ones) and simple unit conversions (ex. 1 yard = 3 ft).

BootCamp: 24,24,24,26,22. BootCamp's QR is definitely harder than the real thing as I usually struggle to finish all 40 problems in 45 minutes, so don't get discouraged! Do the problems, learn from your mistake. I was done with QR in like 30 mins on the real test.
    Achiever: 29,19,24.
    qVault: 23

RC BootCamp (9/10) Achiever (8/10)
    English is my second language so I am actually quite satisfied with my score. Strategy I used: If the article is interesting, I read the whole thing and answer the questions. If the article is boring, I look at the first question, start reading until I find the answer to that question, hit next, continue reading where I left off, rinse and repeat. On the real test, I got 2 really dense articles. 40 search and destroy, 5 inference, 5 tones. Although many people tend to think that doing practice tests won't help much on this section, I disagree. Yes, you won't get the same article or questions on the test, but by doing practice tests, you learn to pace yourself and get the timing down. Again, TIMING is KEY. 20 minutes for each article. It is no good if you get the first 33 correct and have to guess on the rest.

Achiever: 17,17,17
    qVault: 20
    BootCamp: 18,19,20,23,20

Bio Feralis' notes (12/10) Cliffs (10/10) BootCamp (10/10) qVault (10/10) Destroyer (8/10) Achiever (7/10) KBB (7/10)
    As many have said, exposure is key to this section. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND Feralis' notes. I went through KBB first but thought it was too general and colorful. Then I read Cliffs and I actually enjoyed it. Bought qVault as a learning/diagnostic tool to find out my weaknesses. Found out about Feralis' notes and decided to take detailed notes on subjects that I was weak on (mainly physiology, plants, and taxonomy). For people who want to gloss over taxonomy, DON'T. It actually appears on the test. Just buckle down and study. Cliffs' chart and Feralis' chart (I believe it's the same one) are really helpful in summarizing the general characteristics of each animal phylum. I did not have any questions on plants although I did spend a lot of time on that subject. I think BootCamp and qVault are best representative of the level of difficulty/specificity you'll see on the DAT. Destroyer and achiever are slightly too specific but hey, who knows whether or not you'll get a few specific questions on your test. My point is, do not assume anything for this section. Biology is a broad subject. Don't try to convince yourself that it is ok to not study/know this or that, because it could very well appear on your test.

BootCamp: 20-22
    qVault: 19/20/20/19/20/19/19/19/20/21
    Achiever 20/18/18

GC/OC Chad's (12/10) BootCamp (11/10) Destroyer (10/10) Achiever (8/10)
    Chad's vidoes are the best studying material for this section. BootCamp, Chad's quizzes, and Destroyer are really helpful in terms of applying the concepts to actual problems. Destroyer's roadmaps are helpful but not necessary (for my test). Achiever is not representative of the test.

BootCamp: 21-22 for both OC/GC.
    Achiever: 23/16/20 GC 19/18/19 OC

I only did achiever and ADA 2009 in full length:

PAT/QR/RC/BIO/GC/OC/TS/AA
    Achiever 1 (8/5/2013): 17/29/17/20/23/19/21/22
    Achiever 2 (8/12/2013): 17/19/17/18/16/18/18/18
    Achiever 3 (8/19/2013): 18/24/17/17/20/19/19/19
    ADA 2009 (9/11/2013): 20/26/21/21/24/28/23/23

And that is my breakdown...please ask me any questions if you have them.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. mightymoose02

mightymoose02

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats! Friday the 13th too!

Can I request a detailed comparison between Achiever/BootCamp/QVAULT vs. Real DAT? Please?
  3. pnamiran

pnamiran

Pre-Dental
    Nice Job! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  4. Riz0791

Riz0791

Pre-Dental, Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your science scores are so consistent, anyways awsome scores :thumbup:
  5. biomolecmed

biomolecmed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Great job. very nice scores. Congratulations.
  6. jyjuang

jyjuang

Pre-Dental
    Is there any particular section you want to know? I only took full length achiever tests. I did BootCamp randomly in no particular order.
  7. SollertiaSomniu

SollertiaSomniu

Pre-Dental
    Solid scores, well done. I'm becoming a little confused with some of these percentage though. Scanning a couple of posts, I have observed that there are people who have better % rankings in a given section but a lower standardized number. I'm assuming that's because there are multiple versions of the test, with the percents applying to a specific tests, and the numbers (1-30) equal to a product of relative difficulty to all tests and the percent ranking of the individual on their test.
    Can anyone extrapolate?
  8. jyjuang

jyjuang

Pre-Dental
    I have no idea as well. I don't even know how many questions I missed for each section.
  9. Toadesque

Toadesque

SDN 7+ Year Member
    That percentile is so completely and utterly worthless. Dental schools don't even see them so they don't care if you scored an 18 in QR with a 92% vs someone who scored a 19 with an 86% percentile (just making up numbers). In other words, there is no standardization here. If you get a hard exam and do worse than someone who received an easier exam, you can compare yourself to that person by looking at the percentiles and seeing that you actually did better comparatively but it means nothing in the end.
  10. mightymoose02

mightymoose02

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks, man. You addressed it pretty well in your breakdown.

So you said G-Chem/O-Chem sections in the Achiever were not representative? How so? Can you elaborate as much you can? I've been getting destroyed on some of the later Achiever tests in these sections. And you are basically one of the only recent test takers to go through Achiever full tests.

I noticed a huge discrepancy between the way newer practice programs test GC/OC vs. the way Achiever tests those two sections. Newer programs like QVAULT and BootCamp. I know you didn't take TopScore but even that one is very different from Achiever in a lot of ways.

So on the real test, did you feel like you were taking a BootCamp/QVault-like exam? and it was nothing close to Achiever? (For OC and GC).
  11. mightymoose02

mightymoose02

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Other than the QR scores, have you seen fluctuations with other sections like PAT or TS?

Seems like other sections, anything above 21-22 is basically 90+ percentile on almost all breakdowns.

If PAT score of 20 is at 80th percentile, then I wonder if they are allowing a bigger margin of error or was it always like this?
  12. jyjuang

jyjuang

Pre-Dental
    Yea. The wording for GC/OC on the test is very similar to what you get from BootCamp. I did not need to use the note boards except from 1 question for GC and 1 question for OC. I am not saying that Achiever is completely worthless as you get to learn new materials that may have been absent from Chad's/Destroyer/BootCamp, and who knows whether those materials will appear on your test or not? I can only speak from the particular test I took and I can definitely say that all the questions from my test could be answer from Chad's/Destroyer/BootCamp. If I were you, I won't focus on the score you get from Achiever (maybe other than test 1, which edition did you buy). If you get a conceptual question wrong, look at the answer and remember that concept. It is harder to learn from questions dealing with calculations as those usually involve multi-step calc and some sort of critical thinking. However, if you are sure that you understand everything there is to know from Chad's/Destroyer/BootCamp, go ahead and tackle Achiever.

I hope this helps...
  13. ToBeDDSS

ToBeDDSS

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nicely done :)
  14. NMC2010

NMC2010 τετέλεσται

Dental Student
    All those 24s in a row look quite handsome ;P
  15. Dotoday

Dotoday