DAT Breakdown 9/20/2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macabalony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy. I have been a long time lurker of the forums and have helped me gain my composure through the study process. With that being said, I have taken the DAT and it is behind me. It has been a nice break.

Retake First attempt
Bio:21 Bio:17
Genchem: 22 Genchem: 18
Organic: 19 Organic: 18
PAT: 19 PAT 18
Reading: 20 Reading:21
QR: 19 QR:17
TS: 20 TS:17
Overall: 20 Overall 18

GPA: 3.4 and SGPA: 3.2 Major:Biochemistry and Music
This was my second time taking the exam. There was some considerable amount of changes being made in the study habits and overall mental health. My first attempt was taken really late, and during half of the study time I was working 40 hours a week, then went straight to school. It took a huge chunk out of my mental health which resulted in a mediocre performance. This time around I focused heavily on reading fun material at night and excising each day.

Biology: I used the DAT destroyer, chad's videos, DAT Bootcamp and a YouTube channel titled Bozeman science. Chad's videos are alright in this department but don't really help. Bozeman science helped so much. Although the target audience is AP high school students, the concepts are presented very clearly and are perfect for a prehealth exam. Added benefit is that each video is 10-15 minutes DAT destroyer helped me see how the questions were going to be worded and also mental prepare for the level of difficulty. DAT bootcamp also helped a lot for this portion. I was averaging 18's on the practice exam and got one 20.

Genchem: I used the same as above. Chad's videos do a really job on base knowledge and building you up slowly. There were a couple sections that I never saw in both the Destroyer or on the Bootcamp quizzes or the real test. Using DAT Bootcamp was killer during this section and really illustrated the math based logic questions that would be present on the real exam. I was averaging 19's on the practice tests.

Organic: I used same as above except for Bozeman science video. Organic is not taught in the high school curriculum. DAT bootcamp was ideal for illustrating the lab portions of the exam; DAT destroyer and chads video are alright in this department. Organic was a disappointing section because I was averaging 20's on dat bootcamp and on random practice tests was getting really high marks.

PAT: Use CrackPAT and Bootcamp. Bootcamp was very tough with keyholes and cubes but was spot on with TFE, Angles, Hole punching, and pattern folding. Crackpat was easy on each subject. I would recommend DAT Bootcamp over the Crackpat, but CrackPAT does a great introduction of each subject matter. I used DAT Bootcamp every day and did practice test multiple times to get used to the format. It was good practice.

QR: I used exclusively Math Destroyer. The problems are so similar and give a decent explanation. Only downside is that there are a couple question presented in the Math Destroyer that raised an eyebrow or two.

Hopefully with this score and 250+ hours of shadowing and lots of volunteer hours will lead to at least a couple of interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

This is great. Your new score makes you much more competitive. I am sure you will get some interviews.