DAT Breakdown 9/20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, just joined but I've been following these forums all summer while I was studying and they really helped me stay motivated all throughout the summer when studying was literally the last thing I wanted to do. I am currently a junior at Rutgers University, and my GPA isn't greatest (currently at a 3.2). Just took the DAT yesterday and very relieved that they are finally over! Here are my scores:
PAT => 20
RC => 19
QR => 19
Bio => 23
GC => 24
Orgo => 29
TS => 24
AA => 23
Materials Used: Crack DAT PAT, DAT Bootcamp, Chad's Videos, Kaplan's DAT, Cliffs AP Bio, Ferali's Notes, DAT Destroyer.
Bio=> I'm a bio major and I've completed genetics, biochem, and a cancer course as bio reqs, so i had a pretty solid foundation to work of off. at first i started off going through the Kaplan book, and quickly realized that the book was more of an overview of the topics, never really went in depth, so i supplemented those with Cliffs and Feralis (which is essentially both of the books combined anyway, great resource, know absolutely everything on these pages, especially when it comes to physiology).. DAT destroyer is absolutely amazing, so much info is in that book, definitely know every single word in the book for bio, covers almost everything that the test makers could possibly throw at you. i had a 23 page document of all the stuff i didnt know from destroyer, definitely recommend doing that as well.
GC => I hate gen chem, I hate it with a passion. i struggled through it my freshmen year at RU, and honestly i had to learn from scratch this summer. Used Chad's videos to get a basis on the material and made my own notes from his lectures and reviewed those every now and then when i would get stumped on a question or something. DAT destroyer is awesome with this section as well, the problems are little more difficult then the ones on the actual DAT, but it works wonders.
Orgo => just finished orgo 2 last spring, so orgo concepts were still fresh in my mind (even though i still got two C+s in this class -_-, goes to show how crazy/intense orgo classes can get). Followed the same formula as GC for this, Chads videos => made my own notes => DAT Destroyer. again, destroyer was absolutely terrific with this, their synthesis type questions are really the ones that are the most important, if you can do those with ease, you should be set for the orgo section.
PAT => im terrible at PAT, used crack DAT PAT to get a basis on this section, to learn and practice techniques (CDP is a little easier than the real thing, although i still never pulled above a 20 on these). Bootcamp PATs are perfect for this. they are really challenging. I never got above a 17 on the PATs during the bootcamp practice tests, no idea how i pulled a 20.
RC => used the bootcamp exams to try out a couple techniques, im a slow reader, so i found the search and destroy technique the best for me in terms of time with this section.
QR => this section was a little challenging for me to be honest. needed to completely brush up on my trigonometry, used Chad's videos again for these which again gave me a solid base on this section, used the DAT destroyer for this, the questions there are awesome for this section. i just wish i had to the time to get the math destroyer and use that for this section, so i definitely recommend using the math destroyer.

Bootcamp scores (i only have my scores from bc exam 4 and 5, dont know what happened to the sheet i had with my other scores)
4 => bio 18/gc 22/orgo 22/rc 21/qr 19/pat 17
5=> bio22/gc 20/orgo 22/ rc 20/ qr 17/ pat 17

Anyways, thankful its all over, just wanted to share my study techniques with SDN since you guys helped me a lot through my summer. just wondering what you guys think about my chances considering these scores and gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly congrats on the scores. The AA of 23 is stellar man, plus the TS of 24. That Ochem score is amazing too. Hopefully I can do that in a few weeks when I take mine again. I think you are good shape. You mentioned your GPA is 3.2. Is that your sGPA. If so, then try to maintain it. You said that you are a junior in undergrad, so I know you can definitely bring it up to 3.3-3.4 or even 3.5. You gotta finish strong and if you will then I guarantee you admission into dental school. Best of luck and once again Congrats!

Thanks a lot man!
the 3.2 is my overall, my sGPA is a bit lower than that, but I still have a lot of bio electives left to take, so hopefully i can bump that up.
and the best of luck to you on your exam!!

Your set with your DAT. Just bring that sGPA up if its low. And if its still too low after you graduate or when you are applying look into smp master programs (there's 1 year and 2 year ones). I'd do the 1 year one if your sGPA is around 3.0, but make sure your DAT score doesn't expire. I think the score is good for 2-3 years, but I am not 100% sure. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
agree,make sure your DAT score doesn't expire. I think the score is good for 2-3 years, but I am not 100% sure
7iMxsC

Awesome scores, Congrats. I think you are set for admission as long as you apply broadly. I think your DAT scores definitely make up for any questions an admission committee will have about your GPA. Congrats!

congrats! those are some awesome scores....especially your science. What would you say your number 1 resource is?

Do you think making index cards for definitions in bio will help? Thanks.

@Dotoday , umm i did not really use index cards, i just read feralis over and over again mainly because i didn't have the time to make index cards, but i would def recommend it if you have the time to sit there and make all the index cards.