DAT Complete! 5/22/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just finished taking my DATs (2nd time). I'm very happy with my scores, especially after my first time.

PAT: 20
QR: 21
RC: 22
Bio: 21
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 22

Resources:
DAT Bootcamp
Chad's Videos
AP Cliffs 3rd Edition
Feralis Notes
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
CrackDAT PAT

Bio: 21 (17 last year)
I read through the whole Cliffs AP bio as well as through feralis notes about 10 times. Bio was my lowest score last year so you can understand my fear. However, I still didn't know about 10 questions on today's test and had to make educated guesses. There were 3 or 4 animal phylum questions, 2 ecology questions, some techniques/lab equipment questions, and the rest I can't remember right now. You can read cliffs and feralis as much as you want but you will always find topics you are unsure about so load yourself with practice questions (DAT destroyer) and understand the concepts behind everything. This way if you come across unknown questions you can at least try to cut it down to 2 options. DAT bootcamp does a great job simulating the types of questions you will get asked.

GC: 26 (18 last year)
I cannot emphasize how perfect Chads videos are. Every concept on the test was reviewed in chads. DAT bootcamp is perfect for simulation questions. Bootcamp is also great because it focuses on perceptual questions which was more than like 80% of my chem section. The actual math questions were beyond easy, like using PV=nRT.

OChem: 22 (20 last year)
Pretty much same advice as for chemistry. Chads videos is excellent, as well as DAT bootcamp. A piece of advice, DAT destroyer for ochem is beyond overkill. Don't stress if you are getting "destroyed" by it. I expected to do better here, but I'm still happy with what I got.

PAT: 20 (20 last year)
I used crackdat PAT and DAT bootcamp for this section. They both were pretty accurate, except for the hole punching and cube counting. Those sections were way easier on the real test than any practice tests. The keyhole and angles were very difficult, and bootcamp/CDP simulates that well.

QR: 21 (19 last year)
I used Chads to review everything, he does a great job. Then I used Math destroyer for my practice tests. The actual test was a bit easier than any practice tests, and here too I expected to do better. I was probably too tired by now and made careless errors. Know trig functions, I got about 4 or 5 questions where I needed to know them.

RC: 22 (25 last year)
I didn't review at all. The technique I used was search and destroy. The first 5-6 questions were in order so by the time you answer those, you should have a good idea of what the article is about. 95% of my questions were over the surface questions and required just looking for key words in the reading.

I'll post more as I start to remember more, and please ask questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores!

Is the calculator really that slow on the QR section? What was your experience with it?

Nice scores!

Is the calculator really that slow on the QR section? What was your experience with it?

No, not at all. I used it for almost every question that I needed it for. I practiced a lot of tricks and I was good at doing math in my head but by the time the QR section started, my brain was beat and I didn't trust myself enough to not use the calculator at this point. It's not slow at all, but this may vary by test center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I had 3 or 4 graph equation questions. Stuff about parallel and perpendicular equations.

Also a heads up, I received 2 or Carbon and Hydrogen NMR questions, and a spectroscopy question. And it wasn't something simple like what's expected at 1700, a question that every single practice test I took asked.

Also a heads up, I received 2 or Carbon and Hydrogen NMR questions, and a spectroscopy question. And it wasn't something simple like what's expected at 1700, a question that every single practice test I took asked.
awesome thanks!... quick question in regards to the o chem reactions... how tough are they? similar to chads quizzes or nah?

Great job on your scores!! How similar would you say DAT Bootcamp's questions/scores were to the real thing?

So far, I've been benefiting quite a bit from DAT Bootcamp, but my scores have been all over the board. I noticed that each test focuses more and asks more questions on certain topics for each subject, so I'm not sure how representative my scores have been. But considering you got 4 phyla questions on the actual DATs, Bootcamp is similar?

Just finished Destroyer, took Kaplan about a year ago, finished CDP, skimmed through Feralis notes, went over all of Chad's GChem and Ochem, finishing my last Bootcamp practice exam, and about to get Topscore for the last 2 weeks. Dday = June 8th! >.<

awesome thanks!... quick question in regards to the o chem reactions... how tough are they? similar to chads quizzes or nah?

I never did chads quizzes but his lectures covered 99% of things that were asked. The other 1% you should be able to learn through bootcamp or destroyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent scores all around, and an especially nice job on the GC section! Congratulations on your success!

Thanks Ari. From all the subjects, I credit my chem score the most to bootcamp. Last year I got 18 and literally only studied equations. Good thing I read the chem strategy on the site before going into this year's DAT.

Great job on your scores!! How similar would you say DAT Bootcamp's questions/scores were to the real thing?

So far, I've been benefiting quite a bit from DAT Bootcamp, but my scores have been all over the board. I noticed that each test focuses more and asks more questions on certain topics for each subject, so I'm not sure how representative my scores have been. But considering you got 4 phyla questions on the actual DATs, Bootcamp is similar?

Just finished Destroyer, took Kaplan about a year ago, finished CDP, skimmed through Feralis notes, went over all of Chad's GChem and Ochem, finishing my last Bootcamp practice exam, and about to get Topscore for the last 2 weeks. Dday = June 8th! >.<

This is a popular topic on SDN, how similar is X test to the real test. I've learned to not think of it that way. I read from a post by Ari that 20 in practice test doesn't guarantee a 20 in real test, so don't get comfortable because you are scoring over the board on those tests (even though it is great that you are doing so!). DAT bootcamp is good because it covers a wide variety of topics that show up on the real test and it offers good explanations. The format of the questions on the real test were different than the questions on bootcamp, but also different than achiever and topscore. Was it still helpful, yes. But so was achiever and topscore. When you take these tests it's not so important what the score was, but rather what topics are you constantly missing. Don't compare your scores to each other, compare the questions missed. For example, every bootcamp test I tended to miss an ecology question. On my real test the ecology questions were nothing like the questions asked on the practice test, but since I missed those questions during practice I studied that portion more before my test.

Keep studying. Don't study everything, and then only do practice tests after. I studied, then tests, then studied, then tests. This is just my opinion, it worked out for me and hopefully everything works out for you. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sick scores dude!! What do you use for the reading comp section?

I took the 2 tests on DAT Bootcamp. They were harder than the real exam. The real test has very upfront questions. You can answer most by simply skimming and looking for keywords. Do all the simple ones fast for all 3 articles and then come back and do harder ones.

Solid scores. However, you could have done much better. Maybe it was not a good idea to skip tough problems when you are studying. Some crackDat and Destroyer problems are tough, but they expose the areas where you are weak and may help you in the end.
Otherwise, good job.

Solid scores. However, you could have done much better. Maybe it was not a good idea to skip tough problems when you are studying. Some crackDat and Destroyer problems are tough, but they expose the areas where you are weak and may help you in the end.
Otherwise, good job.

I don't think I ever said I skipped tough problems. There were tough problems I came across but I don't recall ever just skipping them.

Hey guys my test didn't come with percentages. Anybody have an idea of what my AA and TS percentages are?

seems like the materials people use are becoming more and more similar.
Oh well, we should enjoy while it lasts because I heard the big change is looming over the horizon!

seems like the materials people use are becoming more and more similar.
Oh well, we should enjoy while it lasts because I heard the big change is looming over the horizon!

Yup feralis and chads are best to study, and bootcamp and destroyer are best to practice. When I heard about the changes I was scared that I didn't study correctly but luckily I was fine.

Your scores are good. Don't worry. If you had to do it again, what would you have done to improve your OC score?

Your scores are good. Don't worry. If you had to do it again, what would you have done to improve your OC score?

I'm not entirely sure. I know a 22 is like missing 3-5 and I can't even remember having trouble with that many questions. When I finished the sciences section, I had 16 minutes left and only 1 marked in the OC section. The only advice I can give you is keep studying reactions. The one question I had marked was a SN2 question (easy right) but the figure was drawn in Fischer projection and I wasn't 100% sure where the nuc attacks. Even then I thought I answered it correctly so I might have just made silly mistakes. This section was easier than most practice tests I took.

Great Scores!!!! Since you took the DAT twice, will dental schools average your scores, or use the most recent? Im asking because I need to re-take and wasn't sure how dental schools approach this...

Great Scores!!!! Since you took the DAT twice, will dental schools average your scores, or use the most recent? Im asking because I need to re-take and wasn't sure how dental schools approach this...

It depends on the school. I know all California schools take the most recent score, and some other schools take the highest score for each subject. You should call the schools you're interested in and ask.

Reactions: 1 user