DAT Completed - 05/23/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milanhp

College
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
28AA/28TS/27PAT

I discovered SDN a week back and joined in order to gain some insight before I took my exam today. I was not expecting my scores to be as good as they were. A lot on the exam was different than I saw in practice tests but that is probably just due to the differences in each DAT. Normally I wouldn't care to share my scores but I have an unconventional background and figured it might help someone in my situation.

Studying: I completed my basic sciences prior to the exam so I knew a lot of what was going to be on the exam. Luckily for me the DAT has nothing past organic chemistry otherwise I would have suffered. Here's how I prepped for each section plus how long I spent as well as the materials I used and bought.

Crack the DAT/PAT: Pretty good for the amount of tests. I took all of the tests that I could. Helped with timing.

Kaplan Course: This was so/so. I think it was decent to get some review stuff for all the content but not worth the money I shelled out for it. Best part was the flash cards I got with it.

Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis Notes: Read it. Read it. Read it again. Worth it.

DAT Destroyer: OVERKILL. Everything in here is much harder than the DAT. But if you can do these questions with a decent success rate you'll be fine for those parts on the DAT.

Chad's Videos and Quizzes: I didn't use this much but for the parts I messed on with DAT destroyer this definitely helped. This is the most golden thing out there for the Chemistries. Use and abuse it.

PAT: I spent only a couple days on this section outside of taking tests. Learning or figuring out methods is the only real content you have to know for this. This is I think what makes or breaks you. You either can visualize it or you can't. At least that's how I see it.
Keyhole: Learn to look at the relative size and angles of the object. Sometimes it's obvious it can only fit through one of the keyholes and sometimes you have to really consider one of two options.
TFE: I don't have a good method for this that would work for everyone. I noticed a couple methods on here but I never could get them down. I just kind of visualized it. It was pretty easy to elimate some of the choices and get it down to 1 or 2 options.
Angle: You can either see the differences in 1-2 degrees or you can't. No trick here.
Hole Punch: I learned the hole punch method from a nice clip (Shoutout to xjtrandx) I saw on here. Definitely helped me speed up my times and not make mistakes.
Cube Counting: I would just count faces and write the number down for each cube and then answer the questions using my tally of how many faces were painted. Worked for me. Remember any cubes that are above the first level of blocks have to have a support cube below them even if you can't see it.
Pattern Folding: I hated practicing this. These are the worst things to practice because the patterns are hard to see in your head sometimes. Some of the problems are obvious because theres a big part of the pattern that is shown and you have to just match the right angles and shape. But the ones that are stripes or alternating black and white are pretty annoying. All I can say is practice these a lot if you have trouble.​

QR: Spent a couple days reviewing the basic properties as well as the trig functions and unit circle. Nothing here you can cram into your brain. Know your basic formulas.

RC: Didn't learn any methods or study for this outside of doing tests. I'm an avid reader and never have had an issue for these kind of problems.

BIO: Studied this first. Cliff's AP Biology and Feralis' Notes. I read through those a couple times to make sure I knew it and didn't look at it again till a couple days prior to my test. Feralis Notes are the best concise version of the notes out there in my opinion. If you are having trouble you might want to take your own notes on the Cliff's AP Biology and use those to help with remembering.

GC/OC: I did destroyer for these and used Chad's Videos to cover any gaps in knowledge. Keep in mind Destroyer is probably 2-3x harder than the DAT. The roadmaps in destroyer are wayyy too complex for the test.

Total studying time for me was about five to six days a week for 6 weeks, 8:30am - 6:00pm on those days. Although I definitely slacked off in the middle of that time and some days I didn't study the entire time. The majority of content you have to learn and retain is the Science part. So for anyone coming from a strong science background I'd say 6-8 weeks of review is plenty. If you aren't as strong in them and need to essentially relearn entire chunks of it you should probably go for 12-16 weeks. Don't skimp on knowing any areas of the sciences.

Crack DAT/PAT Scores:
PAT: 24/24/25/26/25/25
MATH: 23/26/25/23/27/28/27
RC: 28/26
BIO: 21/22/25/24
GC: 22/21/27/27
OC: 19/22/24/26

Kaplan Course Scores:
I will post these if someone wants to see them. For me these tests were a joke in comparison so I don't even count them.

Test Day and Experience: I scheduled my test for 12:30pm as I didn't want to be getting hungry for lunch towards the end like I would be for an 8am exam. Schedule your test for whenever you feel most comfortable. I got a call around 10:30am the day of the test from the center telling me if I wanted to come early and start that they were relatively empty and I could do that. The location was about 30 minutes away so I had a light lunch at 11ish and left around 11:30. I got there at 12:15 once I had parked and what not and then they had me put my snacks in a locker (Had a lock that I could use and keep the key till I was done) and keep out two forms of ID (Driver's License and Debit Card). They gave me some rules to read and had to wait a couple minutes till they called my name. Went in and they had me empty my pockets did a metal detector on me to make sure I had nothing hidden and did fingerprinting and a photo shoot and then gave me a computer and started. For scratch work they gave me two felt tipped black markers and two double sided lamenated pink pre-gridded sheets. Allowed me to easily set up for the hole punching during my tutorial time For my break I had some water and peanut butter crackers, used the restroom, and went back in. Had to take my IDs and key in and out of the test room with me and sign in and out along with my fingerprint too. Once I finished they took my sheets and fingerprints and gave me my score sheet and I was free. Now the breakdown per section.

Section(Time Used/Time Limit):

Tutorial(10/15): Set up my grids and got in the focusing mood. Also noticed when I switch sections it took a couple seconds to switch. I got a white screen for 5 seconds when I hit end on the tutorial and thought it froze. Happened every section change after.

Sciences(85/90):
Biology was not what I was expecting. They had a few biome and taxonomy questions on there I wasn't expecting. No embryonic development or mitosis. Only one or two questions on DNA/RNA. A lot on organelles. A few on photosynthesis/respiration.
General Chemistry was pretty standard. Usual conversions. A couple balancing equations. Periodicity and trends. Enthalpy and Entropy questions. Nothing unusual.
Organic Chemistry was not anything like destroyer. The questions were pretty basic comparatively. Only a few 2-3 step synthesis problems. A lot on theory and concepts as well as standard reactions. Two or three lab questions.​

PAT(60/60):
Keyhole – I did these in order. Nothing fancy or weird. Easy elimination on some answer choices.
TFE – Skipped initially. When I came back it was nothing hard. A couple I had to think about but most of the answers could be ruled out from shape alone.
Angle – Skipped initially. I got back to this section with 15 mins left. Took 13 of that finishing this. Kaplan was much easier compared to these. Same level as Crack PAT. The answer choices can help you not waste time too.
Hole Punches – EASIEST part of the PAT. Follow the method here on SDN and you’ll be golden
Cube Counting – Nothing weird or hard.
Pattern Folding – The usual crap. No dice interestingly enough. Relatively annoying folds. One of the questions had two answers (both right) that were the exact same. Spent the last two minutes I had on that question looking over both answers to make sure there was no difference. Put C I think.​

Break(10/15): Ate, drank, restroom. Recomposed myself as I knew the worst was over.

RC(30/60): Could have taken a nap with all the extra time I had. The passages I had were science based so nothing too out there. Read the passage and answered the questions. Only one question seemed tricky but it wasn’t impossible.

QR(30/45): Another fast section. Only got 2 real trig questions. The rest were mostly geometry or word problems. A few y=mx+b type problems. Nothing out of the ordinary. Calculator worked pretty fast. No delay at all. Although in hindsight anything I used the calculator for was purely to double check my mental math and estimations.

Survey(10/15): Did the survey and stared after I finished. Was scared to push the end button for a couple minutes. When I did I was surprised.

PAT:27
QR:30
RC:28
BIO:27
GC:29
OC:29
TS:28
AA:28

Glad I did so well. Also glad it's over. Should be less stressed about having a not so nice GPA when I apply. I kinda wish they listed my percentiles so I could see where I fall but I'm happy nonetheless.

Remember to take breaks and have fun. I went out and socialized almost every other day. You aren't a robot. Also make sure you use any resources you have and try not to cram. The two days before the test today I didn't do anything. Went to the gym. Ate some junk food. That's it.

Good luck!

Added a picture of my scores. Sorry for the shakiness. My hands are tired after today.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
How come Chad's dont cover the lab materials?

I think that Chad's has a section for lab techniques under the Organic Chemistry section. I don't know what all it covers but anything it doesn't you should find in any standard lab notebook from your college course.

Last edited:
Best score ever on SDN? OMG you killed that test

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Best score ever on SDN? OMG you killed that test

I'm pretty sure there are some 28AA/30TS people out there on SDN. I remember seeing a thread with a breakdown of scores and there were some crazy high scores. Thanks though!

Great scores! I had a dream a few nights ago that I also got a 28 AA. Was only a dream, unfortunately, and not going to happen. But seriously, congrats! You did fantastic.

How many lab questions did you get on the Organic Chemistry section? Is it about the lab techniques and extraction or the pipet, buret, and graduated cylinder?

Thanks guys!

Great scores! I had a dream a few nights ago that I also got a 28 AA. Was only a dream, unfortunately, and not going to happen. But seriously, congrats! You did fantastic.

I didn't go in expecting a 28AA. But hey, it's a great surprise. I think a lot of it is over thinking and psyching yourself out. Just be calm and you'll be fine.

How many lab questions did you get on the Organic Chemistry section? Is it about the lab techniques and extraction or the pipet, buret, and graduated cylinder?

I got maybe 1 or 2 lab questions. Pretty sure on technique and measurement.

What the hell...Those are the best scores I've ever seen. Making us look real bad ;) congratulations on those exceptional scores!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are great scores. I see that doing some tough problems really helped, even though many of them were not on the test.
DAT is tricky. You never know what you may get. Some people say it is easy, some say they had a difficult version. You may be one lf the licky ones. In any case, congratulations. Well done.

You never know what you may get. Some people say it is easy, some say they had a difficult version. You may be one lf the licky ones. In any case, congratulations. Well done.
If the exam was easy, then more people should do well, which in that case means just 1 or 2 questions could separate those that get an 18 versus a 23.

man I better stop looking at breakdowns because my scores keeps becoming less and less impressive anymore.
Are we sure that the average scores of DAT isn't slowly creeping up towards 30aa and 30ts? LOL

I know that people who has done well are more likeyl to post on SDN, but hey, these breakdowns are making me have chills!!
Do I even have a chance now? LOL

Those are great scores. I see that doing some tough problems really helped, even though many of them were not on the test.
DAT is tricky. You never know what you may get. Some people say it is easy, some say they had a difficult version. You may be one lf the licky ones. In any case, congratulations. Well done.
What is the maximum number of hard questions can show up in the real DAT for each Chemistries?

Yeah I think biting the bullet and doing DAT destroyer helped. At first it had me discouraged as even doing well in Ochem class had me getting a lot of them wrong. But being able to do and understand most of DAT Destroyer for Ochem, Gen Chem, and Bio will land you 20+ easy.

man I better stop looking at breakdowns because my scores keeps becoming less and less impressive anymore.
Are we sure that the average scores of DAT isn't slowly creeping up towards 30aa and 30ts? LOL

I know that people who has done well are more likeyl to post on SDN, but hey, these breakdowns are making me have chills!!
Do I even have a chance now? LOL

You have a chance! Everyone does. It's about how much you can retain and how much time you are willing to put in.

Hard questions are all relative to the amount you know and study.

Agreed 100%. I messed up on Bio by neglecting stuff I thought was easy. So I made that part hard for me. Cover it all and it's probably possible for 30/30/30

What the hell...Those are the best scores I've ever seen. Making us look real bad ;) congratulations on those exceptional scores!

Haha. Your 25AA is nothing to shy about. You did great as well.

I just have to congratulate you again. Those scores are simply breathtaking. Seriously, great job!

Thanks again man. I still keep looking at them in disbelief too.

Amazing! You did very well. I hope to do as well as you have when it is my time.

Just stick with it man. You got it!

Best scores I have ever seen. Congratulations...

I have seen a couple better. Definitely happy though and not complaining at all!

That's amazing!! Good job on your score and congratulations :) :) How was the organic chemistry (not sure how much of it was theory)? I am good in synthesis, reactions, mechanisms, but a little weak on the theory and concept part :(

Again, congrats!!

That's amazing!! Good job on your score and congratulations :) :) How was the organic chemistry (not sure how much of it was theory)? I am good in synthesis, reactions, mechanisms, but a little weak on the theory and concept part :(

Again, congrats!!

Each test is different of course. But if you're weak on those areas I'd definitely try and bring them up to par.

amazing. congrats. just curious, were the kaplan tests too easy for you?

They were. Kaplan tests and reviews were a joke. You want something that will challenge you and make sure you find where your weak points are. Not where you'll get them all right every time.

Omg!!!! You nailed it!!! Amazing. No words

After I finished and saw the scores I sat there and stared for a good 2 or 3 mins with no words of my own. I didn't even do the silent fistpump or jump around. I was like maybe the system messed up or something. I waited for the proctor to come in but finally I just got up and walked out to do the check out procedures. It didn't quite hit me till I got in my car and I played my victory playlist. Haha.

I am floored by these scores. H.o.l.y.c.r.a.p.

:wow::wow::wow:

Welcome to the breakdown collection, as it should go without saying!

Glad I applied last year. Competition is FIERCE.

please don't be from Texas! lol jk

what you did to that test is illegal....congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
28AA/28TS/27PAT

I discovered SDN a week back and joined in order to gain some insight before I took my exam today. I was not expecting my scores to be as good as they were. A lot on the exam was different than I saw in practice tests but that is probably just due to the differences in each DAT. Normally I wouldn't care to share my scores but I have an unconventional background and figured it might help someone in my situation.

Studying: I completed my basic sciences prior to the exam so I knew a lot of what was going to be on the exam. Luckily for me the DAT has nothing past organic chemistry otherwise I would have suffered. Here's how I prepped for each section plus how long I spent as well as the materials I used and bought.

Crack the DAT/PAT: Pretty good for the amount of tests. I took all of the tests that I could. Helped with timing.

Kaplan Course: This was so/so. I think it was decent to get some review stuff for all the content but not worth the money I shelled out for it. Best part was the flash cards I got with it.

Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis Notes: Read it. Read it. Read it again. Worth it.

DAT Destroyer: OVERKILL. Everything in here is much harder than the DAT. But if you can do these questions with a decent success rate you'll be fine for those parts on the DAT.

Chad's Videos and Quizzes: I didn't use this much but for the parts I messed on with DAT destroyer this definitely helped. This is the most golden thing out there for the Chemistries. Use and abuse it.

PAT: I spent only a couple days on this section outside of taking tests. Learning or figuring out methods is the only real content you have to know for this. This is I think what makes or breaks you. You either can visualize it or you can't. At least that's how I see it.
Keyhole: Learn to look at the relative size and angles of the object. Sometimes it's obvious it can only fit through one of the keyholes and sometimes you have to really consider one of two options.
TFE: I don't have a good method for this that would work for everyone. I noticed a couple methods on here but I never could get them down. I just kind of visualized it. It was pretty easy to elimate some of the choices and get it down to 1 or 2 options.
Angle: You can either see the differences in 1-2 degrees or you can't. No trick here.
Hole Punch: I learned the hole punch method from a nice clip (Shoutout to xjtrandx) I saw on here. Definitely helped me speed up my times and not make mistakes.
Cube Counting: I would just count faces and write the number down for each cube and then answer the questions using my tally of how many faces were painted. Worked for me. Remember any cubes that are above the first level of blocks have to have a support cube below them even if you can't see it.
Pattern Folding: I hated practicing this. These are the worst things to practice because the patterns are hard to see in your head sometimes. Some of the problems are obvious because theres a big part of the pattern that is shown and you have to just match the right angles and shape. But the ones that are stripes or alternating black and white are pretty annoying. All I can say is practice these a lot if you have trouble.​

QR: Spent a couple days reviewing the basic properties as well as the trig functions and unit circle. Nothing here you can cram into your brain. Know your basic formulas.

RC: Didn't learn any methods or study for this outside of doing tests. I'm an avid reader and never have had an issue for these kind of problems.

BIO: Studied this first. Cliff's AP Biology and Feralis' Notes. I read through those a couple times to make sure I knew it and didn't look at it again till a couple days prior to my test. Feralis Notes are the best concise version of the notes out there in my opinion. If you are having trouble you might want to take your own notes on the Cliff's AP Biology and use those to help with remembering.

GC/OC: I did destroyer for these and used Chad's Videos to cover any gaps in knowledge. Keep in mind Destroyer is probably 2-3x harder than the DAT. The roadmaps in destroyer are wayyy too complex for the test.

Total studying time for me was about five to six days a week for 6 weeks, 8:30am - 6:00pm on those days. Although I definitely slacked off in the middle of that time and some days I didn't study the entire time. The majority of content you have to learn and retain is the Science part. So for anyone coming from a strong science background I'd say 6-8 weeks of review is plenty. If you aren't as strong in them and need to essentially relearn entire chunks of it you should probably go for 12-16 weeks. Don't skimp on knowing any areas of the sciences.

Crack DAT/PAT Scores:
PAT: 24/24/25/26/25/25
MATH: 23/26/25/23/27/28/27
RC: 28/26
BIO: 21/22/25/24
GC: 22/21/27/27
OC: 19/22/24/26

Kaplan Course Scores:
I will post these if someone wants to see them. For me these tests were a joke in comparison so I don't even count them.

Test Day and Experience: I scheduled my test for 12:30pm as I didn't want to be getting hungry for lunch towards the end like I would be for an 8am exam. Schedule your test for whenever you feel most comfortable. I got a call around 10:30am the day of the test from the center telling me if I wanted to come early and start that they were relatively empty and I could do that. The location was about 30 minutes away so I had a light lunch at 11ish and left around 11:30. I got there at 12:15 once I had parked and what not and then they had me put my snacks in a locker (Had a lock that I could use and keep the key till I was done) and keep out two forms of ID (Driver's License and Debit Card). They gave me some rules to read and had to wait a couple minutes till they called my name. Went in and they had me empty my pockets did a metal detector on me to make sure I had nothing hidden and did fingerprinting and a photo shoot and then gave me a computer and started. For scratch work they gave me two felt tipped black markers and two double sided lamenated pink pre-gridded sheets. Allowed me to easily set up for the hole punching during my tutorial time For my break I had some water and peanut butter crackers, used the restroom, and went back in. Had to take my IDs and key in and out of the test room with me and sign in and out along with my fingerprint too. Once I finished they took my sheets and fingerprints and gave me my score sheet and I was free. Now the breakdown per section.

Section(Time Used/Time Limit):

Tutorial(10/15): Set up my grids and got in the focusing mood. Also noticed when I switch sections it took a couple seconds to switch. I got a white screen for 5 seconds when I hit end on the tutorial and thought it froze. Happened every section change after.

Sciences(85/90):
Biology was not what I was expecting. They had a few biome and taxonomy questions on there I wasn't expecting. No embryonic development or mitosis. Only one or two questions on DNA/RNA. A lot on organelles. A few on photosynthesis/respiration.
General Chemistry was pretty standard. Usual conversions. A couple balancing equations. Periodicity and trends. Enthalpy and Entropy questions. Nothing unusual.
Organic Chemistry was not anything like destroyer. The questions were pretty basic comparatively. Only a few 2-3 step synthesis problems. A lot on theory and concepts as well as standard reactions. Two or three lab questions.​

PAT(60/60):
Keyhole – I did these in order. Nothing fancy or weird. Easy elimination on some answer choices.
TFE – Skipped initially. When I came back it was nothing hard. A couple I had to think about but most of the answers could be ruled out from shape alone.
Angle – Skipped initially. I got back to this section with 15 mins left. Took 13 of that finishing this. Kaplan was much easier compared to these. Same level as Crack PAT. The answer choices can help you not waste time too.
Hole Punches – EASIEST part of the PAT. Follow the method here on SDN and you’ll be golden
Cube Counting – Nothing weird or hard.
Pattern Folding – The usual crap. No dice interestingly enough. Relatively annoying folds. One of the questions had two answers (both right) that were the exact same. Spent the last two minutes I had on that question looking over both answers to make sure there was no difference. Put C I think.​

Break(10/15): Ate, drank, restroom. Recomposed myself as I knew the worst was over.

RC(30/60): Could have taken a nap with all the extra time I had. The passages I had were science based so nothing too out there. Read the passage and answered the questions. Only one question seemed tricky but it wasn’t impossible.

QR(30/45): Another fast section. Only got 2 real trig questions. The rest were mostly geometry or word problems. A few y=mx+b type problems. Nothing out of the ordinary. Calculator worked pretty fast. No delay at all. Although in hindsight anything I used the calculator for was purely to double check my mental math and estimations.

Survey(10/15): Did the survey and stared after I finished. Was scared to push the end button for a couple minutes. When I did I was surprised.

PAT:27
QR:30
RC:28
BIO:27
GC:29
OC:29
TS:28
AA:28

Glad I did so well. Also glad it's over. Should be less stressed about having a not so nice GPA when I apply. I kinda wish they listed my percentiles so I could see where I fall but I'm happy nonetheless.

Remember to take breaks and have fun. I went out and socialized almost every other day. You aren't a robot. Also make sure you use any resources you have and try not to cram. The two days before the test today I didn't do anything. Went to the gym. Ate some junk food. That's it.

Good luck!

Added a picture of my scores. Sorry for the shakiness. My hands are tired after today.
How in the world did you get done with RC in 30 minutes? (I realize this is an old post, I know that "one guy" is gonna point it out).

Reactions: 1 user