DAT Destroyer 2009 Gen Chem, #103

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roquer2

UNLV SDM, c/o 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple concept is simple, but hell this is too specific in my opinion

(too lazy to post pic)

So, question asks "An ionic solid gave a blue color. Which solid is most likely?"

Narrowed it down to 2 transition metals (duh), which were AgCl and CuSO4. Now, I had no idea what to pick because I was only exposed to 'transition metals make bright colors and etc etc' and went with CuSO4. I got it right, however the solution/explanation was that 'Color is associated with transition metals. Choice C, copper (II) sulfate gives a blue color'. IMHO, isn't this a little too specific? Should I just know a transition metal gives a bright color and that's it? Or do I have to research more into the specific colors each transition metal gives? :confused: Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The copper one is sort of obvious to me because of a highschool lab where we did the flame test stuff.

But I had that question too, that should I bother with memorizing the colors of the most common transitions metals or not? Chad just mentioned that they make brightly colored compounds, but dont remember if he went into the specifics. Im pretty sure he didnt, so should I do memorize them or not?

Thank you in advance

Yeah, I just solved that problem too.
I looked it up and IMO it's not worth the time to remember, but I'd still remember the "popular" ones.
I remember the Cu giving off a blue hue, from Chad's vids.. but I don't think I'll be memorizing what transition metal gives off what color