DAT Done! 02-21-14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtsantos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very happy and relieved for my DAT to be over! I've been lurking for a couple of months and have been reading all of the awesome DAT breakdowns to figure out the best route for studying and the best materials to buy. I don't have the most amazing scores like a lot of the ones I see on here, but I thought I should post my breakdown to hopefully help other people who were as worried as I was.

I didn't do too hot on PAT and QR, which I'm really bummed about, but I'm hoping my scores overall are competitive enough for CA schools. My GPA is about a 3.7. I studied for about 3.5 months and I have a full-time job (40 hours a week), so studying while working is doable! I did take a whole week of work off the week of my test (thank god for vacation hours!). I studied for about 4-5 hours after work (I work 9-5 M-F), and 7-8 hours a day on the weekend. I started out with the schedule made by Dental Works, but separated each day into 2 days of work. I stuck to this schedule, but modified it a bit by adding more study materials about a month away from my DAT.

Here are my scores:
PAT 19 :(
QR 17 :thumbdown:
RC 20
BIO 22
GCHEM 24
OCHEM 25
TS 23
AA 22

My test experience:
Sciences- I think I may have gotten a fairly easy science section. There were no surprise questions. Everything was very straight forward. This was easier than any of the practice tests I took on Bootcamp and Topscore.

PAT- My PAT section was the HARDEST test I have taken for TFE and Keyhole. I had the most bizarre shapes! Angles, hole punch, and pattern folding was very similar to Bootcamp if not a little easier. A lot harder than Crack Dat PAT. I was praying for a 19 at the end of it.

RC- My reading comprehension was pretty straight forward as well. The passages weren't bad at all. I would read the first 2 paragraphs to get a sense of the passage, and then search and destroy all the questions. While looking for answers, I would remember which subjects came up in which paragraphs. I was actually most afraid of this section since I was scoring 16 and 17 on Crack DAT RC, but those practice tests had way too many inference and tone questions.

QR- This section wasn't too bad from what I remember. I was just so tired by the end of it and so excited to be done, that my score suffered. Not as hard as Math Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp, but I would still recommend using both to strengthen your QR and stamina.

Study Material:
Cliffs AP BIO- I would definitely recommend reading Cliffs AP BIO. It covers everything that you need to know. However, the taxonomy section was super detailed. I really didn't spend much time trying to memorize that chapter, but I did read over it. I think I may have gotten 1 taxonomy question on the test, and it was very easy. I would read each chapter, take notes, and memorize the notes I took.

Kaplan Blue Book (For Bio only)- I also read each chapter took notes and memorized it. If you're really short on time, Cliffs is more than enough. However, it was nice to cover each subject twice with Cliffs and KBB.

Alan's Notes- Started reading Alan's notes probably 2 weeks before my test to refresh my memory. These notes are AWESOME! Definitely not as detailed as Ferali's Notes, but it covers everything you need to know. I would recommend reading these notes after going over Cliffs and already having a clear understanding of everything.

Chad's Video- You HAVE to buy these videos. There's nothing better. There seriously isn't. Chad covers EVERYTHING you will need to know. Take notes while you watch the video and take all the quizzes. You'll be set.

DAT Bootcamp All tests- These tests were AMAZING! Very representative of the real deal. The explanations were very thorough and easy to follow. Definitely builds up your stamina. You can take tests based on specific subjects such as taxonomy in bio, or stoichiometry for chem. PAT on bootcamp is very similar to the actually DAT. I would focus more on these PAT questions, than Crack DAT PAT for sure. I also really loved RC on Bootcamp. For me it was way more representative of RC on the DAT then Crack DAT RC.

Top Score- I read a lot of breakdowns that stated this test was representative of the real DAT. However, I found it to be really unhelpful for me. It may be really good for other people, but I honestly found it frustrating. These were my lowest practice test scores. I was scoring 15's and 16's for ochem and gen chem, while scoring 19's and 20's on Bootcamp. This was also 2 weeks before my test, so it just made me really confused on where I was really at.

Crack DAT PAT- A lot easier than the DAT. This would probably be a good way to ease into PAT. But I would focus more on PAT Bootcamp closer to the test to prepare you for some difficult questions.

Crack DAT RC- Too many inference and tone questions. I consistently scored 17's and 18's. Also not enough science passages. Stick with DAT Bootcamp RC.

DAT Destroyer- Went through Destroyer twice. Got "destroyed" the first time, lol. Second time around was a lot better. A LOT harder than the actually DAT, but was definitely worth doing. It'll make the DAT seem like cake. I wouldn't recommend timing yourself with these questions, because it may just cause anxiety and panic. Use it as a learning tool.

Math Destroyer- I went through math destroyer 1.5 times. Also got "destroyed" the first time. If I could go back, I would have focused more on Math Destroyer closer to my DAT. Awesome learning tool.

Sorry for the super long breakdown. I know my scores aren't that great, but I figured I could help others out! And thank you again for everyone else that post breakdowns on here. You all helped me tremendously!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know my scores aren't that great, but I figured I could help others out! And thank you again for everyone else that post breakdowns on here. You all helped me tremendously!

Lies! Your scores are that great!! Congratulations!

Adding this to the breakdown collection. :)

Lies! Your scores are that great!! Congratulations!

Adding this to the breakdown collection. :)
Such an honor! :) And thanks for the kind words! I'm just really disappointed in my low QR and PAT :( Also I've seen so many AMAZING scores on SDN, yours included! :bow:

Congrats! Good scores :)
Your scores ARE great! Good job and thanks for the breakdown :)
Thanks for the reassurance guys! :D

Was the test easier than Destroyer and Crack the DAT Reading?
Definitely A LOT easier than DAT Destroyer, but its an awesome way to really get a grasp on things and figure out what you need to work on. It will make the DAT seem easier! Also I wouldn't necessarily say that the DAT was easier than Crack DAT RC, but CDRC was definitely not representative of the DAT (at least my version of the test). Too many tone and inference questions compared to my DAT. Best of luck to you!

Proud of you homie. mucho props. Start saving money for those interviews

Good going. Nice science scores.
Awesome scores! You should be very proud of yourself
Thank you so much! :)

Proud of you homie. mucho props. Start saving money for those interviews
Couldn't have done it without your advice! You'll still be the Yoda to everything science. :bow: Kill it at Harvard, 'doh.

Great job, very nice scores! Congratulations on completing the DAT!
Thanks Ari! I seriously couldn't have done it without DAT Bootcamp. I can't emphasize how much these tests prepared me!

Reactions: 1 user