Dat done! 1/14- valentines day massacre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denthuskali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha, it wasnt really a massacre, i just wanted to say it.
THANK YOU EVERYONE ON SDN: YOUR EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE DEF HELPED ME OUT.

Here are my scores:

Perceptual: 19 (69.4%):(
Quantitative Reasoning 19 (92.9 %)
Reading Compehension 21 (88.9%)
Biology 20 (91.8 %)
Chemistry 21 (91.6 %)
Organic Chemistry 22 (94%) :cool:
Total Science 21 (96.2%)
Academic Average 21 (97.2%)

Breakdown:

I used Kaplan BB, Cliffs AP Bio, Barrons, CDP, Achiever,Topscore, the efficient DAT guide, and Destroyer.

If I had to rate things on importance and relevance it would be:
Bio- Cliffs Ap Bio, efficient dat guide, Kaplan BB, destroyer
Chem- the efficient dat guide, Kaplan BB, destroyer
Orgo- Kaplan BB, class notes, destroyer, efficient dat guide
PA- CDP, CDP, CDP
Math- Efficient DAT guide- nothing really comes close to this

My score was almost the same as my Topscore scores:
TS1- BIO-20,C-21,OC, 22, TS-21, PA-20, RC-19, QR-20, AA20
TS2--B-21, C-21, OC-25, TS-22, PA-20, RC-21, QR-18 ,AA21
TS3- B-19, C-21, OC-23, PA- 19, QR- 22

A1: 18 TS- B-16, C-18, OC-23
A2: 17 TS- B-16, C-16, OC-22

CPD- RANGE- 18-19

Bio- Questions were SO random! I took so many practice tests and did so many questions but I still didnt recognize about ten of these questions! I had alot of figures also, which did not help. I think a key to this section was knowing invertebrate zoology, because it came up alot. I used Kaplan BB, Cliffs AP Bio was godly in this section, without it I would have been screwed. I only did half of the destroyer Bio, and didn't think it was as good as people said it was. Also Alan's notes were awesome, Im pretty sure he did destroyer and put the notes from it in his notes anyway.

Chemistry- I felt like I did well in this section, but only got a 21. There were a couple of word problems that I did not know, I am pretty sure I knew the calculation based problems. I used Kaplan BB, which is good, destroyer, which I thought was overkill, and something called efficient DAT guide, which is a 700 page review guide for the DAT. Its chemistry section was AWESOME- I learned the most from that guide than from anything else. I bought it off of ebay, if anyone wants it PM me and I will give you the email of the person who sold it to me.

Organic Chemistry- I was an orgo ta last semester,so I thought I was pretty good at orgo. I got alot of random questions also on this section, but worked it out (23!) Kaplan BB is a good resource for this, Destroyer is definitely good, but to be honest if you use class notes then you should be good.

Perceptual Ability- I had to practice so much for this section! Im just not that good at it... I took 7 practice tests on CDP and it was the best resource for this part of the exam. I got around 18-19 on each exam and got a 19 on the real thing. Kaplan and top score are too easy.
I felt like the folding, cube counting, and pattern folding was easy on the exam. Actually I could have sworn I got all of them right, I either did horribly on the TFE and keyhole, or was wrong about the other sections.

Reading Comprehension- Did not study for this section- first time i took topscore I got a 21, using search and destroy and I felt I was good. I had three really easy passages, I felt like I should have done better. I got exercise/behavior passage, A neural receptor passage, and a cancer passage. I feel like I should have done better on this section, but I did not like the exercise passage that much, it confused me. Search and Destroy is good for some passages but not all. S+D is good for the receptor and cancer passages but bad for the exercise one. Overall for the work I put in for this section, I thought I did well.

QR- HARD! I am really good at math! I am fast, and memorize things well. But i didnt do as well as I wanted to. I had around 3 or 4 conversion questions, which made me mad... And around 5 trig questions, so be prepared for that. The rest were algebra and the common things you see in topscore and achiever. I only had two probability questions also. The efficient dat guide I mentioned before is AMAZING at covering the math section fully. If you use his guide, and practice questions that he sells you should get over 18. I was lazy and still did decently on this section.

I have 3.4 GPA from Stony Brook University and am looking to go to any school that can accept me :laugh: My extracurriculars are decent and I have good LOR.

Should I retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nicely done. And if you are seriously asking then no, you don't need to retake.

thanks yuppers!
I just was asking about the retake because my perceptual ability was sort of low, and my gpa is only a 3.4

Members don't see this ad :)
Also Id like to comment on my testing center. I did it in merrick, and the testing facility was awesome. It was quiet, they had earphones for noise cancellation, and they gave me 2 sheets of dry erase paper and 2 pens! I asked for another sheet of paper and they gave it to me! Definately take advantage of that.

I would say no retake. Your PAT score is fine. I got an 18 on the PAT and got accepted just fine. Congrats with being done, its a great feeling!

Yep, i would agree with what everyone is saying...dont retake it. I have heard from a couple different schools that your PAT score doesnt play a very big part in your overall chances. I think some people are researching whether PAT performance correlates at all to success in dental school or not...AA and TS are where its at! Good work :D

awesome... can you emphasize little more on RC section?? How did you use your S+D method?? I'm really suck at reading. since its not the first language. I'd appreciate your advise.

Since when did a 21 become 97th %tile. It was only 91st %tile a year or two ago...

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when did a 21 become 97th %tile. It was only 91st %tile a year or two ago...

Yeah I know, I thought it was weird when I saw it also. I think it has a combination of not many people taking the DAT on valentines day, and maybe my version was hard? But regardless the admissions people only see 21 not 97%.. :thumbdown:

The same percentile question comes up whenever some1 takes this version of the test..

I got the same version last June.. and i got the same percentile for 21s. There.. answer all your doubt. Percentile goes by test version :thumbup:.

Congrats on the DAT, those are some solid scores. I would also like the email or a website as to where you got your efficient DAT guide. Thx

hey OP, what exactly is the "efficient dat guide" and where can i buy it?

this is the first time ive heard of it haha. i did a google search but only found it on ebay being sold as an online version, whereas i prefer to use the actual book (if there is one)

Haha, it wasnt really a massacre, i just wanted to say it.
THANK YOU EVERYONE ON SDN: YOUR EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE DEF HELPED ME OUT.

Here are my scores:

Perceptual: 19 (69.4%):(
Quantitative Reasoning 19 (92.9 %)
Reading Compehension 21 (88.9%)
Biology 20 (91.8 %)
Chemistry 21 (91.6 %)
Organic Chemistry 22 (94%) :cool:
Total Science 21 (96.2%)
Academic Average 21 (97.2%)

Should I retake?

Seriously man? What is it that you really want to hear?

These types of posts are really f'n annoying!

Seriously man? What is it that you really want to hear?

These types of posts are really f'n annoying!

You dont have to answer if you dont want to, plenty of people already did. Its "annoying" when random people come and start making trouble for no reason.
My gpa is low, I just wanted to know if this was a good enough dat, thats all.

Congrats you got some solid scores.
I'm planning on taking the DAT later this year. I never heard of the efficient DAT guide. where can i get it? thanks