DAT done 6/2 REDEMPTION!!! detailed breakdown to do well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeefan86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I first just would like to thank everyone who helped me in the past. Your insight was very helpful. Basically heres where it all started. I took the DAT last August. My parents enrolled me in the kaplan course earlier that year and I thought I was set. I mean we payed I think $1300 dollars? for what I thought would be good test preparation. In the end it really wasn't. Unless your a genius or has a good grasp on the sciences already, by all means the Kaplan course is for you. I thought going to their class for 3 hours, they would reteach me all the material I needed to know for the DAT and complex material that I never really understood. It wasn't. Those 3 hour classes just cover the basics and don't touch of core complex topics like R/S configs.
So the first time I took the DAT, I was annihilated. I felt I was totally outgunned and blown out of the water. It kind was my own fault though, I didn't do the research of what was the best study materials were to pass the DAT. But I was so depressed, I felt like my life dream of being a dentist was out of reach. After realizing I wasn't competitive I immediately started studying again. This time I did the research of what I needed to get to pass this test. I already had Campbells textbook for bio so that was a plus. I went out and bought DAT destroyer, Math Destroyer,Chads Videos, Cliffs Ap Bio, Barrons AP bio, Barrons DAT review, Princeton AP chem review, Topscore, 2009 sample ADA test, the whole Crack DAT software. I also used my organic chem textbook somewhat, DAT qvault(free tests), and some free PAT tests on the site predds. So here is my 2010 and 2011 scores. In 2010 I ONLY used the Kaplan course and their materials and WOW what a difference.

PAT:16
QR:15
RC:20
Biology:16
Gen Chem:16
Orgo:16
TS:16
AA:17

PAT:19
QR: 17
Bio:20
Gen chem:19
Organic Chem:22
TS:20
AA:20

Now heres my 2011 breakdown
PAT(Sample 2009 ADA test(paid edition), 2007 sample ADA test(free), Crack PAT,KBB,Barrons DAT review,Topscore, Predds website): All I have to say is WOW just WOW. This section was harder than any practice test ive taken ever.
Keyholes:The Keyholes were difficult, the objects/shapes were not pretty shapes that they give your in ANY of the PAT test prep materials. I had funky wierd shapes and I could not recognize the answers right away. I used logic for this section, eliminated choices the keyhole could NOT be.
TFE:This section was slightly harder than the crack PAT software's TFE
Angles:This section I was never really good at. But I took 2 random crack Pat angle tests every day to help me improve. I used condogs angle strategy on here and it helped me out a ton. Definitely watch his angle video links he posted on here. I must have done actually alright on this section since the next section turned out to be a nightmare.
Hole Punching: Guys this section was my bread and butter, my pride and joy or whatever you want to call it. I exceled at this section the best during practice.The first time I took the DAT, Kaplan's Hole punches were nearly on par with the DAT. Second time I took the DAT was a total NIGHTMARE. I guess the ADA made the section more difficult or maybe I had a different test? But let me just say these holepunches were things I had NEVER SEEN BEFORE EVER. I was always good at holepunching and never used the "grid" method. Well good thing during my break I drew a few grids for in "case **** happens." Basically the holepunches were nasty origamy folds that have been folded multiple times. Like crazy ridiculous folds. I swear. The folds were not crisp,clean, or anything I had experienced before. I just did not panic and I answered 2 of the questions and marked the rest of them.
Cube Counting: Nothing crazy here, same as the test prep stuff
Pattern Folding: Nothing really crazy here either

QR: This section I was LEAST prepared for and I kinda regret it. The QR section was nearly IDENTICAL to MATH DESTROYER. math destroyer is what saved my life. Math was never my strongpoint but I am good at math when I have seen/learned it. Do all the math destroyer problems because they will save your life. If you guys msg me I will glady tell you what problems I saw from math destroyer(2010 edition) on there.
I got like 4-5 trig problems, a few right angle problems, compounded interest, conversions but mostly word problems from math destroyer. The key here is to no panic and skip it if you don't know how to do it. If it looks unfamilar to you or if the problem takes to long mark it and come back to it at the end if you have time. Like Dentalworks said this section is a wash. Its really EASY if you study hard and put time into it. I did all the math destroyer tests multiple times and wrote down all the problems down I didn't know how to do. I just kept doing them over and over again. However some of the problems I still don't know how to do lol. So do the best of your ability for math destroyer because I am no math wiz.

RC: So I have always been a good reader, but this section was kinda hard. My plan was to do Search and Destroy. Search and Destroy worked for me the first time I took the DAT ,but for some reason I decided against it right before I was going to take the test and thank god I did. To be honest I figured since they made the hole punching harder, maybe they will make the RC harder by making mostly inference questions so it forces kids to actually read the passage and not use search and destroy. All my questions were basically inference questions and tone questions. I also had questions like they were give you a statement and a reason and Then you had to decide if the statement was true/false or if the reason was true/false or all of the above. its kinda hard to explain but it basically was a complicated version of a true/false question.
So my strategy was spend about 6-10 minutes reading the passage while answering questions going through the passage on the first run. After wards spending the remaining time just answering the questions. I also did not get pianoed!! I got two passages which were interesting. One was about genetic disorders and the other was about prions and mad cow disease. The last passage was about optics and halfway through I kinda got lost. I guess on a few questions. I will say practice the reading comp section tests with Kaplan's material or any reading comp prep like crack DAT reading.

Bio(materials used DAT destroyer,Barrons AP bio, Campbells, DATqvault, Cliffs AP, KBB)This Section is totally random. I had questions i have never seen before I probably marked 15 or more questions since I had no idea or was iffy about my answer choice. I had a few questions from DAT destroyer on there so definitely do those. Barrons AP bio and Campbells is what really saved my life. I read at least a chapter of Barrons AP bio a day, no matter what. I went through it at least 4-5 times. I then noticed I needed Campbells to help back me up on topics I was unsure of or knew little about. I then used post it notes to mark those areas and read them over and over. Campbells is an AWESOME textbook. Its filled lots of pictures and diagrams to help clarify topics. For complex topics like DNA replication and protein synthesis, I needed pictures to help me understand whats going on. Reading words without pictures doens't work for me but everyones different. Barrons AP bio was also great because it breaks down the topics but keeps them detailed enough so they aren't stripped and missing core information. The Destroyer problems were also good because they were so random and irrelevent just like the DAT. Datqvault, might be over rated but however DATqvault is good for application questions which is like the DAT. I only did 5 of their free tests. My advice is always keep reading material and do as many questions as you can. Rinse and repeat.

Gen Chem(chads videos, Princeton AP chem review, DAT destroyer, KBB, Sample ADA 2007 and 2009 tests)
Gen chem was never my strong point in college, I struggeled for the most part. Chads videos are a must, he explains everything great. Take detailed notes of his lectures. However I got questions I had never seen before and just used logic to figure them out. Chads videos helped me achieve this by giving me a background to reach back to. Definitely subscribe. Dat destroyer is another must. You have to have it to do well. Princeton AP chem review was also amazing. KBB was just ehhh since it doesn't come with many practice problems. basically my strategy for this section was to do as many chem problems as i could get my hands on since its a tough subject for me. rate laws, ph, geometry, bond energy, hess's law is what I saw on there.

organic chemistry:(DAT destroyer, Chads videos, Organic chem odyssey, KBB, Sample 2007 and 2009 ADA tests, organic textbook)
Chads videos and destroyer are a must. I got a few spectroscopy problems like carbon NMR, few mechanisms, 1 easy aromatic question, claisen condensation, williamson ether synthesis, a question about a compound being meso, and a polymer question which I probably got wrong lol. I self taught myself organic chem basically since my orgo 2 profesor was terrible. I was very weak in this subject before I bought destroyer and chads videos. I didn't know how to R/s configurations, hell i didn't even know what a Diene was!!! Yea thats right I didnt even know what diene was!!!!. This section the more time and prep you put into it, the results will pay off. I studied my butt off but I loved the topic and organic chem just clicked for me since its more of a "visual" chemistry.

overall im very happy with my scores. My Gpa is around a 3.4. my science GPA is maybe around a 3.2? maybe higher since Im not sure of it.

Overall heres the materials that are ESSENTIAL to doing well.
DAT destroyer
Math Destroyer
Crack DAT PAT
Chads videos
Sample 2009 ADA test
barrons AP bio
princeton AP chem review
Campbells textbook( if your bio is not strong)

Basically this test IMO will be harder than any practice prep material out there. You just need to use logic and your background to figure it out. Most of the questions will NOT be verbatim in any sections of the test. This test is do-able and not impossible. feel free to msg me if you have questions. remember this "Great moments are born from great opportunity."
Good luck all :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Great improvement! :) Nice scores.
I agree with the PAT section.... and the keyholes, especially. I had a 1/3 fold with a whole punch on my actual DAT... I never even thought about that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome Job!!!

How long did you study for this time around and how many hours per day?

Could you give us a general idea of your daily study schedule?

Thx:)

PAT:16
QR:15
Biology:16
Gen Chem:16
Orgo:16
TS:16
AA:17

PAT:19
QR: 17
Bio:20
Gen chem:19
Organic Chem:22
TS:20
AA:20

My Gpa is around a 3.4. my science GPA is maybe around a 3.2?

Great DAT improvement :thumbup: 3 pts into AA and 4 into TS

IMO, I would aim at 15-20 schools.

all the best to ya

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome Job!!!

How long did you study for this time around and how many hours per day?

Could you give us a general idea of your daily study schedule?

Thx:)

I studied alot like 6-8 hours per day. During the last 2 months I probably studied at least 10 hours a day with breaks like going to the gym and such. During my last 2 weeks I really fell off the boat and became burnt out I was lucky if I studied 6 hours. But in the end it was worth it. Id say review every section of the DAT everyday just in blocks. So maybe a 2 hour block of bio then a 2 hour hour block of gen chem, etc. Also its important to understand what you get wrong and do practice problems. Msg me if want/need a more detailed version of my daily schedule

Dude I am practicing with origami tomorrow

yea man definitely do that, the hole punches I got were nuts. absolutely nuts. I answered two of them then marked the rest because they were just that absurd. The total time I probably spent on this section was 10 minutes, after coming back to it.

wow. congrats on your improvement. I took my dat last yr and i am retaking it in a month. I am trying to improve my pat section. last year i used kaplan and barrons for practice and they felt insufficient for me. i remember the the hole punching section, the 1st and last section were much harder than the practice problems, although i did struggle with the last section. i am wondering if the crack the pat was useful for these (despite the difficulty you encountered in your exam).
Also for the bio section i recall few questions on ecology/environment that the kaplan and barrons never touched on. do the ap bio really help on that?
Also good luck on you applying this yr. I too have a similar gpa, i hope you get in as I understand you pain

YANKEEFAN:

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of your studies!! Your scores/study methods in 2010 are very close to mine...I took the Kaplan course in 2003 and made 17-19s in all the DAT areas...enrolled again in Kaplan this year but now may cancel based on some of the things I read on SDN. What do you think?? I just recently placed a bid on ebay for the Destroyer too...are the other sources you used expensive? Which are the top 3 would you recommend I buy? Budget friendly too?

76g of Cr2)3 reacts with 14g of Al to produce Al2O3 and Cr metal. How many grams of Al2O3 could be produced theoretically?

I know that this is a limiting reagent problem. But the problem is after doing both reactants I got .5. The limiting reagent is actually Al but why?

i have a question...are the online kaplan materials ok? like the online full length tests do you guys think they are representative of the test?

ah and now i have another question...what campbells textbook did you use? ap bio or the actual bio textbook?

Last edited:
i have a question...are the online kaplan materials ok? like the online full length tests do you guys think they are representative of the test?

ah and now i have another question...what campbells textbook did you use? ap bio or the actual bio textbook?

I wasn't a fan of Kaplan online materials but thats just me. I believe I have the 7th edition of campbells. I also used Barrons AP bio which i read at least 4-5 times

YANKEEFAN:

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of your studies!! Your scores/study methods in 2010 are very close to mine...I took the Kaplan course in 2003 and made 17-19s in all the DAT areas...enrolled again in Kaplan this year but now may cancel based on some of the things I read on SDN. What do you think?? I just recently placed a bid on ebay for the Destroyer too...are the other sources you used expensive? Which are the top 3 would you recommend I buy? Budget friendly too?

Sorry for the late reply. But destroyer is a MUST. Barrons AP bio is relatively inexpensive. You should see if your local library has it. Campbells might be expensive if you get the latest edition however im pretty sure using an older edition is just as good.

wow. congrats on your improvement. I took my dat last yr and i am retaking it in a month. I am trying to improve my pat section. last year i used kaplan and barrons for practice and they felt insufficient for me. i remember the the hole punching section, the 1st and last section were much harder than the practice problems, although i did struggle with the last section. i am wondering if the crack the pat was useful for these (despite the difficulty you encountered in your exam).
Also for the bio section i recall few questions on ecology/environment that the kaplan and barrons never touched on. do the ap bio really help on that?
Also good luck on you applying this yr. I too have a similar gpa, i hope you get in as I understand you pain

Sorry for the late replay but ive been busy. Barrons AP bio is decent for the ecology section. If your really worried about that section id say buy campbells. Crack PAT is going to be your best bet for PAT along with the 2009 paid sample DAT. With that being said, just be prepared for ridiculous hole punches. No prep material along with the 2009 sample ADA test could have prepared me for that section

Can somebody send me a link to the exact "Campbell's" Bio book everybody keeps referencing. I've seen a couple of different Bio books online with "Campbell's" in the title, so want to make sure I'm seeking out the right one.

Thanks,

76g of Cr2)3 reacts with 14g of Al to produce Al2O3 and Cr metal. How many grams of Al2O3 could be produced theoretically?

I know that this is a limiting reagent problem. But the problem is after doing both reactants I got .5. The limiting reagent is actually Al but why?

i remember doing this problem in destroyer. and for Cr2O3 the mol is indeed 0.5 but I'm pretty sure for Al it was 0.26

are you sure you balanced the equation first??

Awesome scores and great breakdown. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk