DAT Done! Retake or Not? (Suggestion needed:(( )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loving123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I just took my DAT and I want to know whether I need to retake or not.

Just to let you know I am Canadian Citizen (Asian Canadian).

My GPA will be around 3.6-3.7.

My EC includes shadowing, researches, review journal publish (once), various clubs, hospital music volunteering.

I am planning to apply next cycle (June 2015).

This is what I got:

PAT: 19

QR:20

RC: 19

BIO: 19

G.Chem: 20

O.Chem: 20

TS=20

AA=20

What are my chances? (I was thinking about NYU and bunch of schools that are internationally friendly but I do not know whether I got high scores for them.. I heard stories that about 21++ scores are needed to get in..)

Thanks guys in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Solid work, but since you're international... it will be a close call. Just call the schools you plan on applying to.

Stats look fine for NYU. But since you have almost a year until next application cycle, re-taking doesn't seem like that bad of a plan. But your GPA is good I think you have a definite chance of getting in. Apply early!

Solid work, but since you're international... it will be a close call. Just call the schools you plan on applying to.

Thanks for your reply:)
Can I just ask whether my score is good enough to Admissions office??
(like.. How do I ask about??)

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats look fine for NYU. But since you have almost a year until next application cycle, re-taking doesn't seem like that bad of a plan. But your GPA is good I think you have a definite chance of getting in. Apply early!

I might have to go for a exchange program so I don't know whether I can prep for DAT while going for a exchange..
Thank you! I will apply in First Batch:)

Anymore suggestions? :)
I would retake, you have the time. Competition is getting really fierce right now and people are doing really well on the DAT. ECs are great and all, but what it really boils down to is good numbers, sad but true.

I would retake, you have the time. Competition is getting really fierce right now and people are doing really well on the DAT. ECs are great and all, but what it really boils down to is good numbers, sad but true.

Thank you for your suggestion!
The only problem is if I take it again, it might affect my GPA (which I don;t want since my GPA is already not crazy high like 3.8-4.0) since I will have to study along with full course load.. Also, I am going to exchange program next semester so I don't know whether I am capable enough to retake..
Is my number really bad? (like no chance?)
I personally have no info about international student's acceptance score so I will call the admin's office like 'shyfox9p' said in the above reply..

Anyways, thank you soooo much for your input!
Time for me to do some serious thinking lol..

Thank you for your suggestion!
The only problem is if I take it again, it might affect my GPA (which I don;t want since my GPA is already not crazy high like 3.8-4.0) since I will have to study along with full course load.. Also, I am going to exchange program next semester so I don't know whether I am capable enough to retake..
Is my number really bad? (like no chance?)
I personally have no info about international student's acceptance score so I will call the admin's office like 'shyfox9p' said in the above reply..

Anyways, thank you soooo much for your input!
Time for me to do some serious thinking lol..
Your GPA is pretty good is at 3.6-3.7, DAT isn't bad either. I am not a very good source of information for international students, but I still wouldnt say you have no chance.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US we get about 4 weeks off in the winter, if its like that in Canada you could probably do some studying then, but again this would be to solidify your chances.(optional)

Your GPA is pretty good is at 3.6-3.7, DAT isn't bad either. I am not a very good source of information for international students, but I still wouldnt say you have no chance.

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US we get about 4 weeks off in the winter, if its like that in Canada you could probably do some studying then, but again this would be to solidify your chances.(optional)

Thanks for your reply! All of the people in this forum are so kind:p
Well, we get 2 weeks for our winter break lol.. (but we start school at the beginning of September)
I will definitely do some thinking and decide..

Anyways, Thanks again for your reply :)

By the way guys, do you think my study breakdown will help you guys?
I was gonna do it after the DAT but my score is not spectacular so I don't know whether it will be helpful or not lol..
Let me know:p

By the way guys, do you think my study breakdown will help you guys?
I was gonna do it after the DAT but my score is not spectacular so I don't know whether it will be helpful or not lol..
Let me know:p
I would absolutely love to hear your breakdown. If I got scores like yours, I would walk away from the DAT smiling from ear to ear. I am not an international student, and couldn't give you any advice there, but I would really appreciate hearing your total experience. Maybe you should start a new thread?

I would absolutely love to hear your breakdown. If I got scores like yours, I would walk away from the DAT smiling from ear to ear. I am not an international student, and couldn't give you any advice there, but I would really appreciate hearing your total experience. Maybe you should start a new thread?
I posted my break down:)

Reactions: 1 user
no!!! unless you really want to... Im Canadian and I know Canadians who got into schools with a lower gpa and dat