DAT done, should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I took my DAT yesterday and I'm just looking for some advice on whether or not I should retake it as I want to apply in this cycle. But first and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for your breakdowns since I read so many of them and they really helped guide me along the way. Thanks guys!

PAT: 21
QR: 17 :bang:
RC: 20
Bio: 21
Gchem: 22
Ochem: 22
TS: 21
AA: 20

Yeah, I know my scores aren't too bad but I also know that I can do so much better. I'm a third year at Rutgers University with a 3.5 oGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. My ECA's include research, membership in a few clubs and 100 shadowing hours. I really want to maximize my chances of getting in (specifically to RSDM) but I don't know if its worth it to spend the time/money to retake it. I studied for 2 months, while taking 15 credit hours on semester, and I'm kind of disappointed because 1. I was scoring pretty high on bootcamp ochem and gchem (and really felt as though I'd done a lot to prepare) 2. my QR bringing down my AA :(. Does my low QR hurt my chances by a lot?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I took my DAT yesterday and I'm just looking for some advice on whether or not I should retake it as I want to apply in this cycle. But first and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for your breakdowns since I read so many of them and they REALLY helped. Thanks guys!

PAT: 21
QR: 17 :bang:
RC: 20
Bio: 21
Gchem: 22
Ochem: 22
TS: 21
AA: 20

Yeah, I know my scores aren't too bad but I also know that I can do so much better. I'm a third year at Rutgers University with a 3.5 oGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. My ECA's include research, membership in a few clubs and 100 shadowing hours. I really want to maximize my chances of getting in (specifically to RSDM) but I don't know if its worth it to spend the time/money to retake it. I studied for 2 months, while taking 15 credit hours on semester, and I'm kind of disappointed because 1. I was scoring pretty high on bootcamp ochem and gchem (and really felt as though I'd done a lot to prepare) 2. my QR bringing down my AA :(. Does my low QR hurt my chances by a lot?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

You'll be alright! I got a 19aa/ts and and a RU grad as well. Got into RSDM this cycle...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Solid scores! I know people are posting insane scores lately with TS and AA of 24+, but you need to realize those scores are in the 98 or 99th percentiles. You have great scores and a 17 in QR does not warrant a retake IMO. Great job!

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be alright! I got a 19aa/ts and and a RU grad as well. Got into RSDM this cycle...
Wow thank you for your reassurance and congrats on getting in!

Anyways, thanks for the responses everyone, I really hope you're all right!

gobinoob is right, QR is the least important score. Good thing is you got a 17 because some schools have a cutoff at 17 for section scores.

gobinoob is right, QR is the least important score. Good thing is you got a 17 because some schools have a cutoff at 17 for section scores.
Well that's a relief! :wideyed:

No don't retake; those are great scores! Plus, I've heard QR is sometimes not weighed as much?

Be careful not to catch "sdnitis"! The distribution of scores we see on this forum are not at all representative of the general population lol...

haha so I have realized. Saw your breakdown by the way, congrats on doing an amazing job!! :bow:

Congrats on finishing the DAT! You got a great set of scores, if you're not feeling comfortable with the 17 in QR talk with your pre-health advisor. That score makes the cutoff at every school (that I can think of), and it's weighted the least to most admissions committees. I know people with lower scores who've been accepted, so I think you're in the clear given you're not a felon. Congratulations again!

Reactions: 1 users