DAT done! Some thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diiglory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio: 27
GC: 26
OC: 26
PA: 26
QR: 25
RC: 21
TS: 26
AA: 25

As a non-traditional applicant who holds an advanced degree in Bio-medical sciences, I have been benefiting a lot from the info about study materials and test breakdowns on this board. Finally it is my turn to give back, I took the test on 4/17 and I am going to give my impression about the test experience.

The real test was definitely easier than both Topscore and Achiever. As for GC and OC, like everyone pointed out, chad's video is what you need. I did read through Kaplan BB before so I only subscribed chad's for 40 days, if you can master the questions on destroyer, then you are good to go. For Bio, you can only try your best to memorize as much as possible because you do not know what you are going to get on real test. My score for bio is about 18-22 on Topscore and Achiever (mostly 20-21), but I manage to pull off 27 on real test, I did not get any question on characteristics of those weird Protista or lower organisms. I guess I was lucky. My study material was Kaplan BB, Cliff's, destroyer and Alan's notes. If you can remember most of the major points, you will be more than fine to get a 20.

RC passage on real dat is much easier than any of the prep material (at least for me, maybe I got lucky again?) The only trouble I had is for two passages, there are quite a few questions like "the statement is right/wrong, but the reasoning is right/wrong", the questions per se were not necessarily that hard but it did take you more time. That's why I rushed towards the end otherwise I may do a little better. I was never strong on RC on all the prep test materials, my score range from 15-20 on most practices, I used CrackPAT RC, datqvault and the rest is from Topscore and Achiever. I felt the style of the passage is very close to CrackPAT RC, so it is more representative. My strategy for RC is Barron's method. Take notes and do the questions, I tried S&D, it just did not work well for me. I am very easy to panic :oops:

For PAT, CrackPAT is a must if you want to excel. I ordered the Royal flush edition and practiced first on Angles, Hole punch (the practice, not the test), I felt the angles of the CrackPAT was not very good, at least the practice answer has certain pattern that it is not useful after I figure that out. Cube is always easy for me, then I did the Keyhole, TFE and pattern formation on Kaplan and Barron's, I think those sections are pretty good and actually was very close to the level of difficulty on real test. Then I started CrackPAT test and it worked well for me, my score range from 21-28. The CrackPAT is a little bit easy on Keyhole, TFE and pattern formation, but it is good practice. After that you move on to Achiever, I got 20-23 on achiever. PAT on topscore is poorly designed. The real PAT was in between CrackPAT and Achiever in terms of difficulty. I am always good at numbers so I only did the math with the regular destroyer once and that's it for me. I guess understanding the questions are more important for me than solving the problem.

Finally, about the full test material, I think topscore is good for Science part, and 3 Achiever is good enough for most people, science is a little bit harder and the PAT will prepare you for the worst. RC on Achiever is very depressive but as I said, it prepares you for the worst, real test will be easier. I did the full tests in final two weeks, 3 tests each week and I intentionally left one Achiever test for the last to keep the intensity. I am very glad my hard work finally paid off and now I can concentrate on PS and shadowing. Wish all you guys good luck, hopefully I can get into the school next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you sir are awesome! I can only hope to do well. Wish me luck as i'll be taking mine at the end of May

notworthy.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman, announcing the arrival of the chosen one...

Well done! Thanks for the very concise breakdown. See you in the interviews!

When you do get into Harvard with full scholarship, let us know :)

unreal scores, congrats!

also to to who ever posted the "we're not worthy" wayne's world" reference, party on!

Thank you all for the kind words. As I stated initially, I have a very different education path from most of other applicants, that's why I do not envision my application will be as smooth as you predicted. I remember you ushaseos and your nice screen shot of the score, I did benefit from you by cutting a lot of material, just concentrate on the most important ones you guys mentioned. I believe everyone has his/her own strength and weakness, just try your best to work on it. If you put enough effort, you will deliver in the real test. Looking forward to meeting you guys at interviews.

Well done man! Super impressive scores!

Good luck choosing where to go for dental school cause whatever that is you are def gonna get in :)

Mind if I add your breakdown to the list i made on my blog?

Bio: 27
GC: 26
OC: 26
PA: 26
QR: 25
RC: 21
TS: 26
AA: 25

As a non-traditional applicant who holds an advanced degree in Bio-medical sciences, I have been benefiting a lot from the info about study materials and test breakdowns on this board. Finally it is my turn to give back, I took the test on 4/17 and I am going to give my impression about the test experience.

The real test was definitely easier than both Topscore and Achiever. As for GC and OC, like everyone pointed out, chad’s video is what you need. I did read through Kaplan BB before so I only subscribed chad’s for 40 days, if you can master the questions on destroyer, then you are good to go. For Bio, you can only try your best to memorize as much as possible because you do not know what you are going to get on real test. My score for bio is about 18-22 on Topscore and Achiever (mostly 20-21), but I manage to pull off 27 on real test, I did not get any question on characteristics of those weird Protista or lower organisms. I guess I was lucky. My study material was Kaplan BB, Cliff’s, destroyer and Alan’s notes. If you can remember most of the major points, you will be more than fine to get a 20.

RC passage on real dat is much easier than any of the prep material (at least for me, maybe I got lucky again?) The only trouble I had is for two passages, there are quite a few question like “the statement is right/wrong, but the reasoning is right/wrong”, the questions per se was not necessarily that hard but it did take you more time. That’s why I rushed towards the end otherwise I may do a little better. I was never strong on RC on all the prep test materials, my score range from 15-20 on most practices, I used CrackPAT RC, datqvault and the rest is from Topscore and Achiever. I felt the style of the passage is very close to CrackPAT RC, so it is more representative. My strategy for RC is Barron’s method. Take notes and do the questions, I tried S&D, it just did not work well for me. I am very easy to panic :oops:

For PAT, CrackPAT is a must if you want to excel. I ordered the Royal flush edition and practiced first on Angles, Hole punch (the practice, not the test), I felt the angles of the CrackPAT was not very good, at least the practice answer has certain pattern that it is not useful after I figure that out. Cube is always easy for me, then I did the Keyhole, TFE and pattern formation on Kaplan and Barron’s, I think those sections are pretty good and actually was very close to the level of difficulty on real test. Then I started CrackPAT test and it worked well for me, my score range from 21-28. The CrackPAT is a little bit easy on Keyhole, TFE and pattern formation, but it is good practice. After that you move on to Achiever, I got 20-23 on achiever. PAT on topscore is poorly designed. The real PAT was in between CrackPAT and Achiever in terms of difficulty. I am always good at numbers so I only did the math with the regular destroyer once and that’s it for me. I guess understanding the questions are more important for me than solving the problem.

Finally, about the full test material, I think topscore is good for Science part, and 3 Achiever is good enough for most people, science is a little bit harder and the PAT will prepare you for the worst. RC on Achiever is very depressive but as I said, it prepares you for the worst, real test will be easier. I did the full tests in final two weeks, 3 tests each week and I intentionally left one Achiever test for the last to keep the intensity. I am very glad my hard work finally paid off and now I can concentrate on PS and shadowing. Wish all you guys good luck, hopefully I can get into the school next year. BTW, if any of you guys want to take CrackPAT PAT and RC (10 practice) off my hand with significant discount, just let me know. You can also get Datqvault RC as a gift.

Wow very impressed. What are your thoughts on using Destroyer? Also did you use anything else for RC?

These are good scores. Congratulations.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Wow very impressed. What are your thoughts on using Destroyer? Also did you use anything else for RC?
I did destroyer for 3 times (math not included), and for reading I also used examcracker 101 passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning initially, but the style of the questions is quite different so I only finished 10 out of 14 sections. It is a different torture in comparison to DAT RC.

re-take.

just kidding. awesome job!! i would imagine you did well in school too with scores like that!