DAT Done!! Thank you SDN!! 10/22/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SofaCola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just had my D-day today, and it feels great to take this humangus beeg step. I’ve been a long time lurker around the forum. Time to give back to the community and pay it forward with my own DAT experience. :D

Results:
23 BIO
26 GC
27 OC
24 PAT
23 RC
24 QR
25 TS
25 AA

Timed Runs
I used Bootcamp and qVault for full timed runs to practice my pacing. I had 5 full timed runs, with the rest broken up as diagnostics. Overall practice average is on par with my results. Bootcamp definitely has the most detailed explanation to learn from in all sections. qVault biology has great explanations, but PAT answers could use more elaborations.

The more timed runs you practice, the more comfortable you are in that testing center. Overall I’d say it’s not about which test vault having the most representative questions, but more about having exposure to as many different question types as possible. I would have used Achiever but I didn’t have enough time. My study timeline was from July 26th to October 21st while working 30 hours a week.

Bio
I read KBB to get an exposure to the breadth of topics, then nail down the details with Feralis Notes. Lather, rinse, repeat to make it stick. Feralis includes Cliffs’ contents, so it’s a coin-flip whether or not you want to get it separately. I recommend printing a paper copy of Feralis to make your own notes within it. My exam was overall represented by all the study materials I used, but there was one odd question phrased like an RC. It’s probably testing the overhaul that we heard about.

GC and OC
It’s old news, but get Chad’s videos. Take detailed notes when viewing his videos, go through the quizzes, and you should have the concepts drilled in your head. Destroyer is a great supplemental tool to reinforce the details. These two resources are enough to prepare you for both sections. My exam was straightforward with question styles similar to both Bootcamp and qVault.

PAT
Practice, practice, and more practice. This is the only shortcut. I’d say use CDPx10 as a primer, then delve into the other packages. Angle is my weakest area, and I used a combination of the hill and rapid eye techniques. This is definitely a skill you can develop. I feel like my actual exam questions overlaps with all the materials used, so if you can get your hands on these materials, do!

RC
I supplemented this weak area of mine with CDRx5 in addition to the other materials. My experience is that RC is all about accumulating good reading habits in your studying, slacking, and whatnot. I bought print copy of Scientific America and read it like Hank Schrader. On my exam I spent no more than 8 minutes to read through each section before answering. It’s what worked for me. The key is don’t dwell on any questions, and pace yourself to 20 minutes per passage.

QR
Math Destroyer is about the only thing you need to prepare for this section. The formula sheet in there is a great primer, and don’t hesitate to add your own to the blank spaces! I went through each one under timed condition to get used to the mental stress. This definitely helped on test day, especially since this is the last section. I did encounter few analysis-type questions, so QR is changing, but it’s manageable.

General Reflection
Don’t sulk when you get a bad practice score! You are learning the mistakes now so you don’t make it where it counts: in the test center. Get as much experience as you can with the DAT resources.

Take disciplined breaks and get your sleep in. Mental fortitude is probably the single most important factor to manage throughout the studying process for me. Don’t skimp on this!

Time management wise, what worked for me was to do one subject in 1.5 to 2 hour blocks. This is about as much as I can concentrate before I get distracted.

Just a thought, but if you have access to multiple resources, mix their sections for your timed runs. For example: science section from BC, PAT from CDP, RC from CDR, and QR from qVault. This gets you used to having different question styles thrown at you.

One thing I would have liked in prep materials is to have all 100 science questions in one go like the actual DAT. My pacing was pretty good for the individual sections, but it felt weird to go through all 100 questions in one go for the first time today. I don’t know if Achiever or CDS are like this.

Don’t dwell on any question. If you can’t figure it out within 15 to 20 seconds, take an educated guess, mark it, and come back to it later. It’s not worth it to lose time on other questions.

A special note on Bootcamp. Not only are the exams great, it also has a great support system behind it. Ari compiles an amazing array of DAT experience in the Bootcamp blog. Read it, absorb it, learn it, and destroy the DAT. Practice the Angle Ranking Generator every day. Ten to twenty minutes a night will build up an aptitude for this section. Sign up for the DAT Question of the Day. This bite-size practice is great to keep your mind focused. I live in Vancouver, BC, so this was great to wake up to every morning at 6:29 am sharp. Oh and they don’t cost a single penny.

Must-have materials
Bootcamp, Chad’s, qVault, DAT/Math Destroyer, and CDP. Total cost: ~$850. Definitely worth every penny.
CDR is optional I feel; I didn't get Achiever due to time constraint, so I can’t comment.

Summary
I can’t say enough thank you to SDN for sharing all the stories, resources, tips, and experiences. It feels great to not have to find the time to study the DAT, especially while working 30 hours a week. Working and studying sucks, but sometimes real life isn't so kind.

Even though I always liked the dental field, I never felt confident in pursuing it. I graduated in 2012 and my gpa is pretty dismal, 3.03 sGPA and 3.04 sGPA, mostly due to immaturity back in university. I just handed in my application last week, since I didn't even think I’d apply this cycle five months ago. So now I gotta wait and see. Now the question is: what are my chances? XD

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• sdn.jpg
    sdn.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Not trying to imply anything but your score sheet looks funny. Normally it has a design on the paper and a crest they stamp into the paper after they print it. It also normally has the percentages next to the scores.

But anyway, awesome scores!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took my DAT recently and when I got my unofficial printout it did not have percentiles. Score layout must vary between the testing centers for some reason. Sofacola's scores good. Great job Sofacola! :)

That is weird though because anyone could make that. I just applied for the HPSP Air Force Scholarship and they only wanted my unofficial score report. They only needed that because it couldn't have been faked...weird.

I know this is a huge departure from my gpa, but I did study my ass off for this. The DAT was taken in Vancouver, Canada, so maybe the lack of percentile and different formatting is a Canadian test center thing? Oh and I cropped out the top portion instead of fuzzing out the DENTPIN.

Last edited:
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just go thru your application and hope for the best. Many schools continue sending out their acceptances as late as May! Worse thing that could happen is that you will need to apply again on the next cycle but won't need to retake the DAT because Your scores are AMAZING! You have done everything you can up to this point, try not to worry about things you can't control...Best of luck to you! And great job on your DAT!

[...] Best of luck to you! And great job on your DAT!

Thanks buddy, all the best hope to you too!

Nice scores! Congrats! Are you applying this cycle?

Yup yup, e-submitted last week and mailing out today! Just trying to tie up all the paperwork now, so fingers all crossed XD. Going nuclear with 33 schools, so we'll see...

Looks like you did very well!

Slightly off topic, but when would you suggest I start preparing for the test? I want to apply for the next cycle. And how long did it take you to prepare? Did you think you had enough time?

Thanks!

Looks like you did very well!

Slightly off topic, but when would you suggest I start preparing for the test? I want to apply for the next cycle. And how long did it take you to prepare? Did you think you had enough time?

Thanks!

Honestly I can't really speak for the study timeline. Just do it. In my situation I wanted to have a shot this app cycle, so I made a compromise between studying time and application time. Around 90 to 100 days should be an optimum to get to peak condition for DAT. Wish I had more time to study, but the time constraint was a good motivator.

I definitely thought about delaying my exam, and I was excruciatingly nervous in the three nights leading up to the DAT. I'm thankful for following through with the wonderful results. Delaying exam is a game-time decision, to each of our own.

I adapted the studying/diagnostics/exam simulations as I sifted through SDN threads and related readings. You can use the following resources to come up with a game plan of your own. The relevant resources are:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/ultimate-breakdown-collection-la-datelisse.992975/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ind...mini-guide-to-dental-school-admission.942453/
http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
http://datquestionoftheday.com/ (my personal favorite)
http://prehealthadvising.com/2012/09/2013-2014-dental-school-application-timeline/
http://dentalstudentdds.wordpress.com/category/dental-admission-test/

Best of luck,

Jimmy

Last edited:
Do you think it is better to do timed runs of the whole test or timed runs of each individual sections?

Definitely do the entire run, it's what the weekends are for right XD. But ya time management is so very crucial so definitely set aside a 5 hour block.

Going through the DAT I think is part knowing your stuff and part managing your time and efforts.

And speaking of which, I like the American DAT administration much better... Waiting to write paper-based Canadian DAT right now...

Edit: Forgot to mention that full timed runs under testing conditions tests your mental fortitude as well. It's a good opportunity to adjust.

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess doing a timed run of the entire tests helps test your mental endurance as well.

Thanks buddy, all the best hope to you too!

Yup yup, e-submitted last week and mailing out today! Just trying to tie up all the paperwork now, so fingers all crossed XD. Going nuclear with 33 schools, so we'll see...

You will most certainly get an interview somewhere, purely because of your DAT score. Columbia is one that will most certainly be happy to take you. NYU will take you. I don't think your GPA will hold you back that much. DAT >>>>GPA, unless you have like below a 3.0.

What do you think about qvault for Bio?

I liked it a lot! Question phrasing in qVault Bio is very close to the real thing. Bootcamp Bio also right at the sweet spot. Difficulty-wise BC > DAT ~ qV, but they are all great practices and definitely get both. I think BC + qV + Feralis + hard work = acing the bio.

You will most certainly get an interview somewhere, purely because of your DAT score. Columbia is one that will most certainly be happy to take you. NYU will take you. I don't think your GPA will hold you back that much. DAT >>>>GPA, unless you have like below a 3.0.

Thanks! Definitely have those two and more on my list of schools, so fingers crossed. The scores finally uploaded last night, so the next few weeks will be very exciting indeed. I wish I could have a do-over with ugrad, but can only look ahead now.

Last edited: