DAT done today and suggestion needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pclever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT today and feel tried and might need some rest.
Blow is my score
PAT: 22
QR:19
RC:17
Bio:21
GC:23
OC:20
Total Science: 21
AA:20

I am a Biomedical Science Ph.D in US. My GPA in undergraduate is ~3.5 and in Ph.D is ~3.6. As I am not a native speaker, so my reading speed is slower and this makes me always uncomfortable during the RC part. Also I just got 17 in RC.
I do not know whether I can apply this Jun with this score. If I want to retake, I need to wait at least 3 months. Or I can apply broadly and try as many school I can. Does anybody give me suggestion?

For PAT, it is similar to CDP and much easier than Achiever. Thanks, people remind us there are 1/3 fold in the hole punch part. So you guys might try some from Achiever.

For GC and OC, I watched Chad's video and used destroyer as well. I feel it is enough to get decent scores from those material. The real exam is not too difficult.

For Math, I feel the time is so limited (45min) and the exam is harder than destroyer math. There are several exam I have to random to choose an answer and run out of time to check them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying that the QR on the real DAT was harder than the math part of the regular DAT Destroyer or harder than the separate book of Math Destroyer problems? What was so hard about it?

It is harder than both of destroyer and Math destroyer. My feeling is the questions are not straightforward and always make you waste time to read it again. I have only 1 or 2 possibility questions those make me feel good. Some question about pound to kg, F to C.

I would definitely apply with these scores. You made the cutoff for most schools with your 17 in RC. They will also see that your not a native speaker and English is not your first language, so thats going to be on your side. Your in good standings with both your DAT and GPA. Apply to about 15-20 schools and I'm sure your going to get some interviews. Don't worry about it to much you have above the national avg in both TS and AA, with nothing below a 17. If you read peoples forums on here their is many who didn't do great on one section and still had multiple acceptance. Interview well and your in my brother. Good Luck

Thanks for your guys suggestion. I feel bad when I found my RC is only 17 but after your suggestion I feel better and decide to prepare my application with these score.

For the PAT, my feeling is the real question is similar as CDP. I even remember two keyhole questions are same from CDP. Also one folding question is similar as one in Achiever. So I recommend you can brief review those CDP and Achiever Keyhole and folding questions before you take the DAT.

For Bio, some questions are brand new and I never read it in Kaplan, CDP, Cliff and Alan review. You should be always aware of these new questions. But most of questions are still common questions.

For OC, I most use Chad video and CDP. All rxn in OC are easier than most of CDP and at most 2 steps. So it is good enough to remember those road map in CDP and focus on those common rxn, such as Aldo,
,Wittig and SN1, SN2.

For GC, it is similar as CDP. Try to go through the CDP GC before you take the real exam.

Thanks,guys input and hope you can break it.

Solid scores. Good job. You are the second person I see in this forum who wants to do Dentistry after obtaining a PhD. What is wrong with US science funding? You should make it, with your background and scores. Best of luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

To be honest, the postdoc life in biomedical science is too tough. Most people work 14 hours per day and the pay is pretty much low. During postdoc training, 90% people will be failed and have to find other jobs. It is really not a good career path for most normal people. In current situation, NIH cuts their funding every year and few and few faculty will gotten granted even they work very hard. All of those tough reason alert me to change my career. The dentist should be very good career with good pay and easy life style. Work hard guys, hope all of us can crack the DAT and enjoy the good job.

You are right. I have see how postdocs work. The system is failing. There is no way to encourage people to learn science by treating them this way. I hope Dentistry works out for you. Lol, you will probably miss pipettes and assays after a while.... ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If I have opportunity, I might continue some research work in the future but I need a good life style first.

I haven't decide yet. I probably want to apply 15-2o school. As I am living in New England area so I still prefer school around east coast. Any recommendation?