DAT Help: What should practice exam scores look like?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupraFlex7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've been a post-bacc student for the past two and a half years and my Post-Bacc GPA turned out to be about a 3.97-3.98 in courses such as Gen. Chem I+II, Bio I+II, Organic Chem. I+II, and some upper level bio courses including: Neurobiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, etc. I just finished the program about a couple of weeks ago which is why I haven't really been studying for the DAT as I had much on my plate (I just finished my summer Biochemistry course but I got an A!)

My undergrad GPA was not so good, but I raised it to 3.10 for my overall GPA but I had taken Gen. Chem I+II as an undergraduate and did poorly so I retook them as a post-bacc and got A's. Definitely matured later on in life haha but I was just wondering what practice exam scores I should aim for if I'm taking the DAT a little earlier than Mid-August to be competitive? I took the DATgenius practice test with bare minimum studying and I got 19 GC, 18 Bio, 16 Orgo, 16 QR, 17 RC and 17 PAT. (I wasn't taking it as serious as I should have either because I took it late in the evening and started feeling tired.)

This was a couple of days ago and I've been reviewing science concepts a decent amount since then along with some QR practice. I've looked into PAT a bit but not too much and as for RC, I haven't studied at all tbh. I feel as though two weeks would be enough study time but would like to get other opinions. What do you guys think I should get on another practice DAT or two before I actually take the real one? I think I can get atleast low 20's in the next couple of weeks if I try, but what do you guys think? Also, I know the later you apply, the harder it is to get in and was wondering if I have a shot to get in if I get a decent score. Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everyone is different. 2 weeks for the entire DAT is, IMO, not enough time. I think 6-8 weeks is enough to cover all the bases well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't throw away all the hard work you just put into your Post-Bacc by not taking the DAT seriously. You probably want to allocate more time towards studying for the test. However, you know how you study best, so two weeks may work for you.

Hey guys,

So I've been a post-bacc student for the past two and a half years and my Post-Bacc GPA turned out to be about a 3.97-3.98 in courses such as Gen. Chem I+II, Bio I+II, Organic Chem. I+II, and some upper level bio courses including: Neurobiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, etc. I just finished the program about a couple of weeks ago which is why I haven't really been studying for the DAT as I had much on my plate (I just finished my summer Biochemistry course but I got an A!)

My undergrad GPA was not so good, but I raised it to 3.10 for my overall GPA but I had taken Gen. Chem I+II as an undergraduate and did poorly so I retook them as a post-bacc and got A's. Definitely matured later on in life haha but I was just wondering what practice exam scores I should aim for if I'm taking the DAT a little earlier than Mid-August to be competitive? I took the DATgenius practice test with bare minimum studying and I got 19 GC, 18 Bio, 16 Orgo, 16 QR, 17 RC and 17 PAT. (I wasn't taking it as serious as I should have either because I took it late in the evening and started feeling tired.)

This was a couple of days ago and I've been reviewing science concepts a decent amount since then along with some QR practice. I've looked into PAT a bit but not too much and as for RC, I haven't studied at all tbh. I feel as though two weeks would be enough study time but would like to get other opinions. What do you guys think I should get on another practice DAT or two before I actually take the real one? I think I can get atleast low 20's in the next couple of weeks if I try, but what do you guys think? Also, I know the later you apply, the harder it is to get in and was wondering if I have a shot to get in if I get a decent score. Thanks for all the help!

So you're postbacc is really just a rehash of undergrad? Weird. But hey, it's a good GPA and raising it certainly helps. I did a postbacc that led to a MS with a 3.9 and a thesis and all. I would say don't take the DAT unless you have 20+ in each section (minus the QR but getting bad in the QR brings down your AA) on the practice exams. I got a 19AA and this is my 4th cycle applying. So my advice, based on my experience, would be that you should be seeing 20's.