DAT in 2 days, need help with RC!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celina08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of posts talked about all the methods for RC already but I still want to ask(make myself feel better...). so I did 2 topscore tests and the used snd. The first test didn't finish in time and get a 17 and the second one give up in the middle because my head starts to hurt after searching for those keywords. Does anybody use snd feel the same way?? I tried to read a couple of paragraphs and then see which question I can answer but still don't remember what I read when I look at the questions. I think snd might be the best method for me but I still CAN'T finish in time. Spend a lot of time searching but sometimes just can't find the answer. Somebody save me:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are a lot of posts talked about all the methods for RC already but I still want to ask(make myself feel better...). so I did 2 topscore tests and the used snd. The first test didn't finish in time and get a 17 and the second one give up in the middle because my head starts to hurt after searching for those keywords. Does anybody use snd feel the same way?? I tried to read a couple of paragraphs and then see which question I can answer but still don't remember what I read when I look at the questions. I think snd might be the best method for me but I still CAN'T finish in time. Spend a lot of time searching but sometimes just can't find the answer. Somebody save me:scared:

Man, I feel ya. I try Achiever RC. Other sections in Achiever are hard enough, but when I look at RC, I was like what am I getting myself into. SnD takes me so much time. Literally, give up half-way after sending load of time SnD on a single question. When I look back at the second question on Achiever RC, the stupid answer is on passage 14. 14 passages down and it is question 2. Crazy. Ask me to read, I cannot retain any. I am now basically :xf: and study other sections and do what I can. You are not alone. You, I, and (if not many) some people here too are having trouble. All we need now is someone as good as Chad to guide us on RC.

I usually read a few paragraphs, enough to remember and enough to make a dent in the passage. Then I really quick skim through the questions and see if anything pertained to the passage I was reading. I usually do not have much time by the end of the questions, literally like 1-2 minutes. This is probably not the best method but it works ok with me so far on CDR. I also scored 17 my first, but 21 on second, 20 on third and 19 on the 4th one. I probably have to tweak it as these scores are not stellar, but it is "good enough".

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! This isn't supposed to sound at all snarky, but have you considered trying a timed practice test whereby you actually read each passage? I'm suggesting this, because I was just like you a few months ago - I often scored 17-19 on RC. I used the Kaplan method, skimming as fast as I could, jotting down keywords, skipping sentences, and generally panicking about how little I absorbed. Then when it came to answering the questions, I would have no clue where to search. And, like you, I found that minutes would dwindle as I looked for the keywords. And tackling question 6 while already 15 minutes down kind of makes you want to puke.

So I stopped all the tricks and strategies and decided to give reading a whirl. And I'm someone who HATES reading on-line. I think people have a hard time with RC because there's so much time pressure, and in my opinion, the search and destroy method only makes it worse - you spend so much time digging.

Now, with so little time before your test, the most important thing is to approach this section with a method that you're comfortable with. But it might be interesting to see if there's any improvement in your score by the reading method. If you do decide to try this, I'd recommend reading about 3/4 of the paragraphs. Every word, every sentence. And jot down some dates and names on your scratchboard as a crutch. By the final paragraphs, you've already gotten a good sense of the passage, and I would only read the first sentence of each paragraph at that point. What I found was that after reading carefully, but fairly quickly, I knew where to search, and sometimes I could remember the answer off the top of my head! And while I was reading, I didn't think about the questions. That was just my time to read, about 5-6 minutes per passage. And it worked! I got a 25 on RC.

So good luck. Last parting thought is that I found the actual DAT RC much easier than any practice test I encountered. It's not that the passages are less convoluted, but the questions themselves seemed much more straightforward. You'll do great!

I tried all the methods and said screw this, I'm just going to read the darn thing from start to finish. I do write down a few key words for each paragraph which helps a lot. This adds a couple minutes but you gain it all back and then some since you have a nice roadmap/index to find the correct paragraph to answer a question instead of wasting time scanning back and forth and building up stress.

I tried all the methods and said screw this, I'm just going to read the darn thing from start to finish. I do write down a few key words for each paragraph which helps a lot. This adds a couple minutes but you gain it all back and then some since you have a nice roadmap/index to find the correct paragraph to answer a question instead of wasting time scanning back and forth and building up stress.

Exactly. Back in the days of SATs I found through trial and error that SND does NOT work for me. I have been scoring well on all of my practice tests and on CDR, (Achiever 21, TopScore 22, CDR 24-25) simply by reading the passages start to finish, and making a mental note of key topics. Sometimes if there's a lot of things going on, I note down key words too.

It takes me roughly 10 minutes to read a passage, then 10 minutes to answer a question. I feel far more confident and secure by reading the passage versus search and destroy. SnD makes me feel scatter-brained and lost. I find myself having to read paragraphs just to FIND the keyword.

So, the approach to RC really depends on you. Some people prefer to read the whole thing and compensate the time by knowing exactly where everything is, or others jump straight into SnD. Take your pick. :cool:

CELINA 08, I am afraid to tell you that I am the same way you are and I am freaking out about the reading scores I have been getting. You really aren't alone and just by reading your post I felt a lot better. I am trying several strategies as well and as of now I am getting like 17/18... :(
@ALLMANGANESE2ME I really like your post! Its comforting :)