DAT Retake advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeek22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I just wanted some advice on retaking the DAT. I know my Science scores are lower than they should be but I'm just worried about retaking and potentially doing worse on RC, I'm pretty sure I can keep my QR score or improve that.
Bio - 19
OC - 18
GC - 19
TS - 18
PAT - 20
RC - 25
QR - 24
AA - 21
oGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.3

ECs: 100ish hours shadowing (more by reapplication time), ~700 hours research, ~1000 other EC hours

I'm definitely going to apply broadly, making sure that the schools are OOS friendly too, but do you guys think I should attempt a retake in may. I'm aiming to send my application out in the first batch

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply early, all your scores are above 17 and your RC is extremely good. Dont retake... just apply early(first day).

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,
So I just wanted some advice on retaking the DAT. I know my Science scores are lower than they should be but I'm just worried about retaking and potentially doing worse on RC, I'm pretty sure I can keep my QR score or improve that.
Bio - 19
OC - 18
GC - 19
TS - 18
PAT - 20
RC - 25
QR - 24
AA - 21
oGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.3

ECs: 100ish hours shadowing (more by reapplication time), ~700 hours research, ~1000 other EC hours
Side note: I applied late this cycle and got an interview at NYU but have since been placed on the waitlist

I'm definitely going to apply broadly, making sure that the schools are OOS friendly too, but do you guys think I should attempt a retake in may. I'm aiming to send my application out in the first batch

Thanks in advance!
No, that's already good! I only have 18 AA and 19 PAT. You're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get into great/highly selective schools and know that you can improve everything without lowering RC too much, retake. Why keep the score if you absolutely know that you can do better? Make yourself more competitive if you know you can, so you look more attractive to schools and later have more options to choose from.

Last edited:
Apply early, all your scores are above 17 and your RC is extremely good. Dont retake... just apply early(first day).

I have everything ready so I'm definitely aiming for first day :)
Thanks for the advice!

No, that's already good! I only have 18 AA and 19 PAT. You're fine.

Thank you!! Hopefully I get in next cycle! I know this cycle was a shot in the dark for me as I applied so late

If you want to get into great/highly selective schools and know that you can improve everything without lowering RC too much, retake. Why keep the score if you absolutely know that you can do better? Make yourself more competitive if you know you can, so you look more attractive to schools and later have more options to choose from.
Ya I think I can bring up my science and PAT score but I'm not sure if I should spend a month doing so if it only ends up being by a point or so more? That's why I can't fully decide

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you can get into some schools with those scores, but if you want to make yourself as competitive as you can, I would suggest a retake. Your RC and QR scores are excellent, your PAT is great, so you just need to focus on the sciences. What resources did you use? These are the tried and true resources that most people use on SDN to achieve 20+, myself included:
Chads videos for GC and OC, take excellent notes, do all the quizzes
DAT Destroyer. Do every single problem for Bio, GC, OC. You will be discouraged with your first attempt through the book, but it's an amazing resource with an awesome answer key to explain not only why the right answer is correct, but why the other choices are incorrect.
Feralis' notes for Bio.
AP Biology Cliff Notes.

You probably have the basics of each topic down, you just need to learn some of the finer points which will boost each section by 2-6 points. A 3.4 GPA with a 21+ looks more more competitive than a 18 IMO. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

I have everything ready so I'm definitely aiming for first day :)
Thanks for the advice!

Thank you!! Hopefully I get in next cycle! I know this cycle was a shot in the dark for me as I applied so late

Ya I think I can bring up my science and PAT score but I'm not sure if I should spend a month doing so if it only ends up being by a point or so more? That's why I can't fully decide

Go for it if you are confident that you can get at least 20 TS and 21+ AA. With your GPA and current DAT scores, schools like NYU would be hard for you to get into. It's okay to take DAT a bit later like in June or July, it won't hurt your app. With your current stat, you can probably get into those newer, less established schools located in suburbs. While their equipments look fancy, they don't have strong clinical due to their location and lack of rep, so fewer students with great stats accept offers there and are easier to get into.

Last edited:
Retake and improve your TS score! You can risk bringing down that RC score, just try to keep it above a 20. It is nowhere near as important as all 3 those science scores combined. A score of 18 -19 is not very competitive anymore, sadly.

Yes, you can get into some schools with those scores, but if you want to make yourself as competitive as you can, I would suggest a retake. Your RC and QR scores are excellent, your PAT is great, so you just need to focus on the sciences. What resources did you use? These are the tried and true resources that most people use on SDN to achieve 20+, myself included:
Chads videos for GC and OC, take excellent notes, do all the quizzes
DAT Destroyer. Do every single problem for Bio, GC, OC. You will be discouraged with your first attempt through the book, but it's an amazing resource with an awesome answer key to explain not only why the right answer is correct, but why the other choices are incorrect.
Feralis' notes for Bio.
AP Biology Cliff Notes.

You probably have the basics of each topic down, you just need to learn some of the finer points which will boost each section by 2-6 points. A 3.4 GPA with a 21+ looks more more competitive than a 18 IMO. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

yeah, i used each of those resources, but with destroyer I definitely got discouraged and wasn't able to look at it and I definitely think that hurt my sciences. I'm definitely considering the retake at this point. Thank you for your help :)

Go for it if you are confident that you can get at least 20 TS and 21+ AA. With your GPA and current DAT scores, schools like NYU would be hard for you to get into. It's okay to take DAT a bit later like in June or July, it won't hurt your app. With your current stat, you can probably get into those newer, less established schools located in suburbs. While their equipments look fancy, they don't have strong clinical due to their location and lack of rep, so fewer students with great stats accept offers there and are easier to get into.

I definitely want to go to a more established school so I'm definitely considering the retake seriously, most likely start studying soon and seeing if I can bring it up enough! Thank you for the help! :)

Retake and improve your TS score! You can risk bringing down that RC score, just try to keep it above a 20. It is nowhere near as important as all 3 those science scores combined. A score of 18 -19 is not very competitive anymore, sadly.

ok thank you for the advice!

It's natural to be discouraged the first time you go through destroyer. I got about 50% of the questions correct, and that was after I prepped with Chad's and feralis notes. However, if you take notes for every question, you will learn and it will raise your score at least a couple of points.

Reactions: 1 user
I got in with lower DAT scores. You should be good. Our GPAs are the same. I had a ton and a half of volunteer and shadowing hours. I had LORs from a general dentist and an orthodontist. I also had LORs from the place where I managed a free dental office. Plus the usual ones from two professors and an interview committee at school.

If you have any way yo separate yourself outside of academics, I would recommend adding that to your résumé.