DAT Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about when I should take DAT.

I am planning to submit my application early (which means right on June 1).

I haven't taken DAT yet, and I am planning to take it some day in June, since I heard that we can send DAT score after we submit the application.

I am trying to save as much time as possible for studying DAT before the test date. But, I also want my application, with DAT score, to be included in the first pool (should it be sent to schools by July 31?)

Since ADDSAS says it takes about 6 weeks to proceed the application to dental school, I believe that I have to take DAT at least by 6/18.

Do you think taking DAT on 6/18 would be safe to be included in the first pool, or should I take it earlier than that?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have a question about when I should take DAT.

I am planning to submit my application early (which means right on June 1).

I haven't taken DAT yet, and I am planning to take it some day in June, since I heard that we can send DAT score after we submit the application.

I am trying to save as much time as possible for studying DAT before the test date. But, I also want my application, with DAT score, to be included in the first pool (should it be sent to schools by July 31?)

Since ADDSAS says it takes about 6 weeks to proceed the application to dental school, I believe that I have to take DAT at least by 6/18.

Do you think taking DAT on 6/18 would be safe to be included in the first pool, or should I take it earlier than that?

Thank you.

No. The first batch of applications are sent out usually by last week of June. This past year, it was on Friday, June 25th / 2010.

They send out new batches every friday from that point on. By time end of July approaches, your application would have been surpassed by the previous 5-6 batches.... Ofc thats not to say its a bad thing, its just means you won't be in the first few batches out.

Assuming one had their dat score in hand with LOR wouldnt it still take about 3-4 weeks to mail and verify all the transcripts / lor's?

In chemistry terms... the DAT doesnt seem like the rate limiting step.

If an applicant takes the dat june 20th but submits their application june 1st will this allow for a fairly early application? Isnt the DAT score an electric submission?

Assuming one had their dat score in hand with LOR wouldnt it still take about 3-4 weeks to mail and verify all the transcripts / lor's?
Yes, assuming you submit everything (DAT + LOR + everything) on June first, it takes them a few weeks to verify your grades. When thats done, they pile your application on the next batch to go out (usually on Friday).

Our cycle this past year opened on like June 3rd, but first mailing didn't happen till the 25th. When I called them, I think they said approx. 500 applications were sent out on that 1st batch.

In chemistry terms... the DAT doesnt seem like the rate limiting step.
clever analogy haha
Well, the DAT can be the rate limiting step if its taken after the application opens up by 2-weeks or more. Because it takes addsas between 2-4 weeks to electronically receive your official scores

If an applicant takes the dat june 20th but submits their application june 1st will this allow for a fairly early application? Isnt the DAT score an electric submission?
On june 20th means.... the official scores will reach aadsas 2-4 weeks later. So between early-mid July is when your application will be finally complete.... I don't think thats late.

SDN has alot of "unsolved" mysteries, one of them is "when is applying late REALLY considered late?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the exact same boat as you. I want to make the first batch of applicants, but at the same time i want to get a really good DAT score. I currently have it scheduled for june 4th. Any suggestions?

I am in the exact same boat as you. I want to make the first batch of applicants, but at the same time i want to get a really good DAT score. I currently have it scheduled for june 4th. Any suggestions?

you guys.... you don't have to be IN THE FIRST BATCH THAT GOES OUT lol... its okay if your in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and so (they are 1 week apart usually). they are still good early applications.... I think I was in 3rd batch

Hello,

I am also in the same situation.
I would like to be in the early batch, but have not taken the DAT.
I have one shot at the DAT (have been studying for a bit now).

I do agree that I don't desperately NEED to be in the first batch, but I think being in the 3-4 batch is still OK.

Assuming 6/24 is when the first batch (~500 applications) go out, the latest is 4 wks from then: 7/22.
Giving 5 wks of Application Processing (ADEA says 4-6 wks), then everything (DAT + LOR + Application) must be finished by 6/17.
Also assuming it takes 2 wks for ADA to send the DAT score to AADSAS, the DAT should be taken at the beginning of June.

I guess I only have one month to study for the DAT.

Hello,

I am also in the same situation.
I would like to be in the early batch, but have not taken the DAT.
I have one shot at the DAT (have been studying for a bit now).

I do agree that I don't desperately NEED to be in the first batch, but I think being in the 3-4 batch is still OK.

Assuming 6/24 is when the first batch (~500 applications) go out, the latest is 4 wks from then: 7/22.
Giving 5 wks of Application Processing (ADEA says 4-6 wks), then everything (DAT + LOR + Application) must be finished by 6/17.
Also assuming it takes 2 wks for ADA to send the DAT score to AADSAS, the DAT should be taken at the beginning of June.

I guess I only have one month to study for the DAT.