DAT score & GPA - Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yqjcyxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone's help on SDN. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for my situation. I can really use your help. I recently finished taking the DAT. (You can read up on my review in an earlier post and feel free to shoot me questions). My DAT scores:

GC 22
Orgo 22
Bio 19
PAT 20
RC 24
QR 21
TS 21
AA 22

Unfortunately my GPA is 3.4 and worse, my science GPA is pretty low (3.15) so I'm wondering if I have a chance into a decent school. Should I retake DAT to try to boost my DAT score or apply early and leave DAT as is. I've been out of school for awhile so I don't know how much taking additional classes can help. Any advice is appreciated!

P.S. Thanks doc3232 for pointing out my typo. My bio is actually 19, not 18. It's now corrected.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't retake, your DAT scores are great. I had a similar overall GPA and a somewhat lower sGPA with a 22AA and I got in just fine. And btw, a 3.4 is just about the average overall GPA for those accepted to dental school, so don't stress too much - your DAT more than makes up for your GPA. Just be sure to apply early and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...you didn't add up your AA correctly (or 1 section is wrong) and your TS is unusually high considering you got a 18 in bio.

alright then, let me rephrase my last post. You definitely have a chance, if these scores are correct!

Hi guys,

Thanks for everyone's help on SDN. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for my situation. I can really use your help. I recently finished taking the DAT. (You can read up on my review in an earlier post and feel free to shoot me questions). My DAT scores:

GC 22
Orgo 22
Bio 18
PAT 20
RC 24
QR 21
TS 21
AA 22

Unfortunately my GPA is 3.4 and worse, my science GPA is pretty low (3.15) so I'm wondering if I have a chance into a decent school. Should I retake DAT to try to boost my DAT score or apply early and leave DAT as is. I've been out of school for awhile so I don't know how much taking additional classes can help. Any advice is appreciated!

You should probably clarify by what you mean when you say, "a decent school." There is no ranking system to dental schools, since they are all really different. I got into UPENN, Columbia, UCONN and many others..but chose University of Kentucky because of location and clinical (over didactical) focus and am really glad I did.

Are you looking to specialize or become a good clinical dentist? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself before deciding on a "good" school...

Well...you didn't add up your AA correctly (or 1 section is wrong) and your TS is unusually high considering you got a 18 in bio.

good eye doc3232! thanks for pointing it out. it's actually a typo. my bio score is a 19. i know, not much of a difference. btw, thanks for everyone's input and advice. i really appreciate it!