DAT - Scores, Reflections - Your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diesels

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT today (wed). I have studied fairly intensively for the last four weeks. And for the last week I focussed mainly on my recently acquired DAT Destroyer. I did no review course, but also used KAPLAN materials (which I find rather worthless in comparison to Orgoman's Destroyer). Most recently, I took two of the TopScore full length timed tests. I was hoping for at least an 18 overall. I knew my sciences would be weaker.

Here were today's scores:

PAT: 21
QR: 20
RC: 22
BIO: 18
GC: 17
OC: 18
TS: 18
AA: 19

If you are wondering, the topscore test scores were VERY similar to the actual DAT. I actually scored a bit higher on the science section of the actual test, but in my case, the other scores came out just about right. I had expected to score somewhere between 20-24 on the PAT, QR, and RC and felt pleased, although I am surprised my QR was low when I thought I did so well.

As far as the dry erase note boards, I made my own for practice when taking the practice. I made 1pt by 1pt graph paper, had it printed front and back on card stock (in yellow, blue, and pink), and had it laminated. I bought a black Expo dry erase marker. This was helpful, and using the dry erase is not as bad as you might think. They give you an eraser and for QR, I just erased after each problem. It was kind of a pain to write words, as I like to do outlining for RC, but it was OK apparently looking at my scores.

Look, I haven't worked that hard in the sciences during my college career. If I had a choice to go out and have fun or study for OChem, I always went out. My science GPA is 3.1, my overall GPA is 3.6. I'm a KY resident, applying to Louisville, Kentucky, Case Western, Creighton, NYU, UNLV, Arizona Dental, USC, UoP, and Loma Linda. I feel pretty good about the Kentucky schools, but I'd really like to make it in Arizona, UNLV, or NYU.

There is no way I'm retaking the test. I feel happy to have gotten what I got. Unless you're on the admissions board, don't tell me I'm in or out. No matter what your scores or grades are, there is never a guarantee.

Knowing what I know now, and had I had the DAT Destroyer months ago (instead of two weeks ago), I think my science could improve. My advice: Study the DAT destroyer. If you have a science background and then review all those problems (I focussed mainly on the Bio section), your science scores will improve. Kaplan is a waste of money. Just get yourself a few full length practice tests, and I'm sure if you're prepared, you'll do fine.

Oh, you may be interested that reading comprehension seemed fairly easy (obviously a good score for me). There were not many questions asking to infer the author's intent, just mainly find the correct paragraph and the answer is there. I scan through it quick, map out the passage (write out complicated words that are likely to be brought up in questions), and then go through the questions. Don't spend too much on a single question, mark it and go back if you have to.

Good luck to you all. It's nice to have my life back.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores! I'm also a Kentucky resident.

Anyways, just wanted to ask you specificly how your Topscore RC, QR,and PAT compared to the real DAT. I took the Topscore reading last night, (#1) saw that it didn't have any author's tone questions and such..just finding specific details. I've heard here on SDN that there's a quite few author's tone questions, is it true?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have very similar scores..we will get in somewhere...especially you with your two KY state schools! good job and good luck

Nice scores! I'm also a Kentucky resident.

Anyways, just wanted to ask you specificly how your Topscore RC, QR,and PAT compared to the real DAT. I took the Topscore reading last night, (#1) saw that it didn't have any author's tone questions and such..just finding specific details. I've heard here on SDN that there's a quite few author's tone questions, is it true?

Thanks

I was planning on taking all topscore tests before my actual test. On saturday and monday I took the first two, and the scores were practically identical, I didn't want to screw up and scare myself, so I never took test three. Here are my scores from the two Topscore tests:

PAT: 22, 21
QR: 20, 20
RC: 21, 22
BIO: 17, 17
OC: 17, 19
GC: 16, 17
TS: 17, 17
AA: 18, 18

Wow. Consistent. Now you see why I didn't want to take test 3. Had I screwed up the day before the test on that practice, I would have freaked out.

As far as reading, I was THRILLED to see in my experience that real test had about one "infer" type question per reading, all pretty easy given the choices. I felt that the topscore reading was a good reflection of the actual test. Really, just map out the paragraphs with keywords (usually those long confusing words) and then when you see questions about them, jump to that paragraph and find the answer.

And of course, FINISH every question. If you fall behind, and have to guess on the last five, that's bad. So don't stay on one question for too long, guess, mark it, and return. I found that I'd eventually find the answer while looking for other answers.

If your test is like mine, the RC is mainly a game of "where's waldo?"

Very nice Congratulations. I would be really thankful to u if u would be able to let me know about ur reading topics. could u tell me aliitle about each topic so I'll be able to search some info about it. I am really horrible in reading, English is my second language. So please help me I really need ur help. Thank you so much.

I took the DAT today (wed). I have studied fairly intensively for the last four weeks. And for the last week I focussed mainly on my recently acquired DAT Destroyer. I did no review course, but also used KAPLAN materials (which I find rather worthless in comparison to Orgoman's Destroyer). Most recently, I took two of the TopScore full length timed tests. I was hoping for at least an 18 overall. I knew my sciences would be weaker.

Here were today's scores:

PAT: 21
QR: 20
RC: 22
BIO: 18
GC: 17
OC: 18
TS: 18
AA: 19

If you are wondering, the topscore test scores were VERY similar to the actual DAT. I actually scored a bit higher on the science section of the actual test, but in my case, the other scores came out just about right. I had expected to score somewhere between 20-24 on the PAT, QR, and RC and felt pleased, although I am surprised my QR was low when I thought I did so well.

As far as the dry erase note boards, I made my own for practice when taking the practice. I made 1pt by 1pt graph paper, had it printed front and back on card stock (in yellow, blue, and pink), and had it laminated. I bought a black Expo dry erase marker. This was helpful, and using the dry erase is not as bad as you might think. They give you an eraser and for QR, I just erased after each problem. It was kind of a pain to write words, as I like to do outlining for RC, but it was OK apparently looking at my scores.

Look, I haven't worked that hard in the sciences during my college career. If I had a choice to go out and have fun or study for OChem, I always went out. My science GPA is 3.1, my overall GPA is 3.6. I'm a KY resident, applying to Louisville, Kentucky, Case Western, Creighton, NYU, UNLV, Arizona Dental, USC, UoP, and Loma Linda. I feel pretty good about the Kentucky schools, but I'd really like to make it in Arizona, UNLV, or NYU.

There is no way I'm retaking the test. I feel happy to have gotten what I got. Unless you're on the admissions board, don't tell me I'm in or out. No matter what your scores or grades are, there is never a guarantee.

Knowing what I know now, and had I had the DAT Destroyer months ago (instead of two weeks ago), I think my science could improve. My advice: Study the DAT destroyer. If you have a science background and then review all those problems (I focussed mainly on the Bio section), your science scores will improve. Kaplan is a waste of money. Just get yourself a few full length practice tests, and I'm sure if you're prepared, you'll do fine.

Oh, you may be interested that reading comprehension seemed fairly easy (obviously a good score for me). There were not many questions asking to infer the author's intent, just mainly find the correct paragraph and the answer is there. I scan through it quick, map out the passage (write out complicated words that are likely to be brought up in questions), and then go through the questions. Don't spend too much on a single question, mark it and go back if you have to.

Good luck to you all. It's nice to have my life back.

Good job!!!

Very nice Congratulations. I would be really thankful to u if u would be able to let me know about ur reading topics. could u tell me aliitle about each topic so I'll be able to search some info about it. (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) I am really horrible in reading, English is my second language. So please help me I really need ur help. Thank you so much.

So I really wonder how close this statement is to actual definition of cheating? Even if you knew his topics, odds are that you won't even have one passage he's had. On the other hand, I've noticed you asking just about everybody thats taken the DAT about their topics (including myself). What is going on hear?!!!:bullcrap:

So I really wonder how close this statement is to actual definition of cheating? Even if you knew his topics, odds are that you won't even have one passage he's had. On the other hand, I've noticed you asking just about everybody thats taken the DAT about their topics (including myself). What is going on hear?!!!:bullcrap:

haha. israel asks everyone stuff like that... lol.

I thought I was the only one that noticed, I just didn't call his a$s out on it :laugh:

classic.