DAT study advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agnathans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I previously used Kaplan to study for the DAT and although not the best materials, it provided an all in one structure format. Following the recommendations of those on here I am now using chads, DAT destroyer/Math Destroyer and DAT bootcamp. I have 2 questions:

1. What is an efficient study manner/time schedule where all of these materials will be utilized best ( currently focusing on chads with he intent to start destroyer and use bootcamp only for practice tests)

2. What are the best Biology materials to use? I have Kaplans text and flashcards, but I have heard people recommending cliffs AP Bio. I also have a copy of Barrons AP Biology that a friend gave me that she used to study for her DAT with.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I took the DAT recently. To answer your questions,

1. I started with Chad's videos general chemistry and then organic chemistry after I finished gen chem. I watched a couple of videos each day and then did the quizzes after each lesson. After finishing all of Chad's videos, I went back and watched them again on 2.5 speed. Then, I did both Ochem and Gchem of Destroyer, about 20-30 questions per section per day. I wrote down explanations for all questions i got wrong and stuck them in a binder (my DAT study binder!). On the weekends I would review these binder explanations again. I started DAT bootcamp questions two and a half weeks before my test date.

I allowed myself ~3 months total for reviewing both general chemistry and organic chemistry. But, I did not dedicate these days for purely chemistry review; at the same time, I was reviewing PAT/bio/QR.

2. I read through Cliff's AP biology 3rd ed., took notes, and did the little quizzes at the end. After finishing that, I also read through Ferrali's notes that are available thru the DAT bootcamp site. I would recommend completing all of the biology questions in the Destroyer book (after you finish reviewing Cliff's and Ferrali's) as well, which represent some of the more difficult questions in the biology section of the actual DAT. I did not utilize any addition study material for biology since I've taken a couple of upper level biology courses in college.

I allowed myself around one month total to review biology

Glad to help!

I scheduled my test for may 11. that gives me around 11 weeks. I have been doing chads g. chem recently. that sounds like a good plan, and definitely gives me an idea on how to modify my study plans! thank you for the reply! if you want message me with your DAT score! hope it went well!

I posted a thread w/ a breakdown of my scores. i believe you can access it through my profile page. again, i would love to answer any additional questions for you!