DAT Study Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mroerdh22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I will be taking my DAT at the conclusion of the fall semester. I have a Kaplan book that I have been using but have been told that it is not sufficient to study for the perceptual ability portion. Any advice on what materials to utilize and also methods to study? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you can go through people's breakdowns for a good idea of what to study. mine's in the signature, though it's kinda sloppy haha

I'd suggest you look at the DAT Discussion Category under Dental Forums and you'll find plenty of info regarding the DAT. Best of luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. Here's some of the materials I used to study for the DAT.

For OChem and GChem, I didn't feel like spending money so I used my friend's Princeton MCAT books to review the concepts and reactions. Along with DAT destroyer, I found the material to be sufficient for my needs.

For Bio, I read Feralis notes that I found on DATBootCamp website for review. Occasionally, when I went through the notes and came across material I didn't understand, I looked up Khan Academy videos or just searched it online.

After reviewing the concepts and topics for these, I started working my way through DAT Destroyer, which I feel is a must-have tool for studies. It's probably the best resource for getting a lot of practice in. I went through each question and made sure I understood each choice, whether it was right or wrong.

For the PAT, I first started with CDP (Crack the DAT's PAT software) to get some practice. I was really bad with angles, so I used DATBootCamp's free angle generator for some practice.

After all that practice, a couple weeks before the test I started taking practice tests. There's a free one that you can get on ADA website. It's not the full one - the critical reading section is shortened. But it's good practice to get your feet wet. Then I bought practice tests on DATBootCamp's site and started taking them. After each test I would go back to the review materials and focus on my weak areas. In my opinion, DATBootCamp had tests that were neither too hard nor too easy compared to the real test.

Hope this helps!
Edit - my scores were 24 PAT, 25TS, 26AA.