dating in medical school seems hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysunsure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a female in my first year of medical school and I ended a long distance relationship with my long term boyfriend a month ago. Perhaps I've just been feeling lonely since the end of my relationship, but I feel like the dating environment in med school after the first semester is kind of sterile. During the first semester, the singles in my class quickly paired off with each other and almost everyone in my class seems to be in committed relationships now. With our schedule, it also seems hard to regularly maintain contact with people outside the school (ex: grad students, law students, etc). Has anyone else had this experience? How hard is it to date in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I guarantee 1/4 to 1/2 of those couples will be broken-up by this time next year. Focus on finishing first year and don't try to get into anything too serious. As someone who just got out of a long-term relationship a few weeks ago, I know that it's discouraging right now. Trust me, plenty of people in your class are in the same position and looking for the same thing. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Very different to my experience...several people here are maintaining LDRs across different countries.

I simply refuse to date people at my college. If I get into medical school, I will do the same. It's probably not as bad as dating in the workplace, but the combined social and peer networks adds a level of complexity that is undesirable.

It is just a hornet's nest that simply isn't worth the trouble unless you're having a really hard time meeting women elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I simply refuse to date people at my college. If I get into medical school, I will do the same. It's probably not as bad as dating in the workplace, but the combined social and peer networks adds a level of complexity that is undesirable.

It is just a hornet's nest that simply isn't worth the trouble unless you're having a really hard time meeting women elsewhere.

Does your college have 20 people or something? I don't think I've ever heard of that before

Reactions: 1 users
Does your college have 20 people or something? I don't think I've ever heard of that before

I'm at a state school, but it isn't like Arizona State University or even Penn State U. In many ways, my school probably mirrors closely what a medical school would be like in that the campus has a small student body. Everybody knows everybody else's business.

Its not worth the drama. Wait until 3rd year to date. IMHO of course.

I've actively avoided going there with any of my classmates. That is not to say that I don't find any of them attractive, I do, it is just that there seems to be much more potential drama by dating and ending a relationship within your cohort than finding someone outside.

I've actively avoided going there with any of my classmates. That is not to say that I don't find any of them attractive, I do, it is just that there seems to be much more potential drama by dating and ending a relationship within your cohort than finding someone outside.

This. Plus dating someone non-medical helps keep me sane. I don't want to hear about medical things when I come home/go out to have fun.

I date a pharmacist.........it is hard because she lives about an hr away from me and she is busy herself.

So, we see each other when we can. She is understanding and I am the solo type anyway. It works.

I can tell you it hurts my grades some. But, I rather have lower grades and a decent lifestyle.

There is more to life than just medicine.

Lucky for me, I dont want all the competitive stuff like most.

I wouldn't not date someone just because they aren't from your class. If the right person comes along you have to be open to it regardless of where they're from. I was. Now I am marrying her.

Keep an open mind!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
..Oops, wrong thread. Sry for hijack.

I date a pharmacist.........it is hard because she lives about an hr away from me and she is busy herself.

So, we see each other when we can. She is understanding and I am the solo type anyway. It works.

I can tell you it hurts my grades some. But, I rather have lower grades and a decent lifestyle.

There is more to life than just medicine.

Lucky for me, I dont want all the competitive stuff like most.

Yo JDUB,

What field(s) are you interested in?

thanx
:cool:

When you find that you're more yourself than you ever imagined possible --that's being in love--in med school, relationships are often transient, but anything can happen, just be prepared for evolving circumstances --Half the folks married in med school divorced within a decade, me too.

Last edited:
so you're telling me that med school isn't like Grey's Anatomy romance? This is devastating news, I've been using that show to prepare myself for what to expect in school.

Edit. Not appropriate. I'm a changed man. Found me a GIRL!!!!!!!! F*** yeah.

Last edited:
.how were you guys able to meet these students outside of your class (law, pharm, etc)? hang around the law school library? hahaha med school seems like such an insular environment.

.how were you guys able to meet these students outside of your class (law, pharm, etc)? hang around the law school library? hahaha med school seems like such an insular environment.

Bars...

Survivor DO

Wow, I'm assuming you're a guy so listen up. You can seriously meet women anywhere, just go outside for a bit and start a conversation with someone you think is attractive-- and act normal. Really that simple. The hard part is balancing and you have to sacrifice either some of your grades, some of your relationship, or all of one.

If you're a woman, work on your looks-- that's all we really care about.

If you're a woman, work on your looks-- that's all we really care about.

Uhh, I care about a woman's aspirations. I care about her intellectual quests, her intriguing creativity, her unwavering passions, her beauty beyond her appearance. I care about what a woman has to say...her personality. I care about the way she talks to me, the way she looks at me, the way she is always there when I need consolation. I care about her ambitions in life, her desire to change the world each day at a time, her struggles and her victories. I care about her compliments, her look when she is angry, her smile when she is happy, her laugh when I make a joke.

The woman on the outside is but a mere cover to the true lady beneath. :love:

so you're telling me that med school isn't like Grey's Anatomy romance? This is devastating news, I've been using that show to prepare myself for what to expect in school.

No, it is like that. If you mean hookups/flings/**** buddies, then yes it is. You just choose whether or not to involve yourself. But it happens.

Uhh, I care about a woman's aspirations. I care about her intellectual quests, her intriguing creativity, her unwavering passions, her beauty beyond her appearance. I care about what a woman has to say...her personality. I care about the way she talks to me, the way she looks at me, the way she is always there when I need consolation. I care about her ambitions in life, her desire to change the world each day at a time, her struggles and her victories. I care about her compliments, her look when she is angry, her smile when she is happy, her laugh when I make a joke.

I'd LOVE to see you put your money where your mouth is. :smuggrin:

Bars, intramural sports, not working out on the health campus. Really anything that gets you away from sitting in the dead silent med library should work.

Strong work. So nice I read it twice.

You can meet anyone anywhere. Study at coffee shops. Its intimidating to date a med student, from what I've heard from non-meds. Good for guys, bad for girls. Maybe we can start a 'medicalmingle.com'

Dating is a waste of time if you're a guy. Smash and dash. Don't have to deal with the emotions/ups and downs/cheating that will eventually happen either today or 10 years from now.

Dating is a waste of time if you're a guy. Smash and dash. Don't have to deal with the emotions/ups and downs/cheating that will eventually happen either today or 10 years from now.

Counterpoint: herpes.

EDIT: I truly do mean "counterpoint." Herpes is the perfect contrapuntal melody to the sweet sweet sound of smash and dashburgers.

I'm going to be the voice of annoying reason here. Dating in med school has been amazing for me. I can not imagine dating someone else who is not a medical student. Scheduling is so easy. The sex isn't bad either.

Holy cow...you must have dated some real train wrecks if you are this jaded

Lmao. Maybe. I've dated two chicks, one was a train wreck. The statement really comes from friends or myself having sex with girls who were in long term relationships at the time. God knows if the guy ever found out. Friend could've banged a woman in a marriage but refused to. You never know when the girl will decide it's time to move on, or wants something different or gets bored or needs to experience life (da fuq does this mean?).

Anyway, I decided personally I'd rather not spend my time dealing with the potential bull****. You never know if the chick you got will **** you over, even 5, 10 years into a marriage. Too much risk. Yeah, I'm jaded. lol

Lmao. Maybe. I've dated two chicks, one was a train wreck. The statement really comes from friends or myself having sex with girls who were in long term relationships at the time. God knows if the guy ever found out. Friend could've banged a woman in a marriage but refused to. You never know when the girl will decide it's time to move on, or wants something different or gets bored or needs to experience life (da fuq does this mean?).

Anyway, I decided personally I'd rather not spend my time dealing with the potential bull****. You never know if the chick you got will **** you over, even 5, 10 years into a marriage. Too much risk. Yeah, I'm jaded. lol

You'll find this with both genders :p

Experience life = try out guys of different cultures, different cities, etc. :smuggrin:

I think dating can be fun, you get to meet new people, and can be positive. I'm probably in the minority who ventures outside of the medicine area for potential peeps. Unless of course, I happen to stumble upon a dorky cute guy who I work with :naughty:

You'll find this with both genders :p

Experience life = try out guys of different cultures, different cities, etc. :smuggrin:

I think dating can be fun, you get to meet new people, and can be positive. I'm probably in the minority who ventures outside of the medicine area for potential peeps. Unless of course, I happen to stumble upon a dorky cute guy who I work with :naughty:

I need to find myself, I need to experience life = I need someone else inside me. Might as well movve on when a girl says this.

I do love going out with my ex though. I still talk to her, go out, have fun, hook up. Once the instability comes out, the emotions/rollercoaster, I can go right back to my life no questions asked, no headaches. Ex sex ftw.

I don't talk to the trainwreck girl I once had. Bish is crazy. I hope she found herself :laugh:
Every guy needs to be ****ed over by some bish at least once in his life to understand the value of women in today's society. No loyalty or logic.

I need to find myself, I need to experience life = I need someone else inside me. Might as well movve on when a girl says this.

I do love going out with my ex though. I still talk to her, go out, have fun, hook up. Once the instability comes out, the emotions/rollercoaster, I can go right back to my life no questions asked, no headaches. Ex sex ftw.

I don't talk to the trainwreck girl I once had. Bish is crazy. I hope she found herself :laugh:
Every guy needs to be ****ed over by some bish at least once in his life to understand the value of women in today's society. No loyalty or logic.

You're just terrified of being hurt, dude. A lot of women (well, people) are ****ty and will cheat. There are a lot that won't and make your life better.

Any sensible girl will stay away from guys who still hang out w their exes. No such thing as "oh we can still be friends" without the occasional hook up.

Honestly, I think its best to experience $h!t to get rid of the naivete surrounding love. I've learned the hard way. Every guy that gets ****ed over, ****s over someone else. Not fun. Once bitten, twice shy. Can't imagine two jaded individuals trying to make something work.

Also, karma is a b**** :laugh:

Any sensible girl will stay away from guys who still hang out w their exes. No such thing as "oh we can still be friends" without the occasional hook up.

Honestly, I think its best to experience $h!t to get rid of the naivete surrounding love. I've learned the hard way. Every guy that gets ****ed over, ****s over someone else. Not fun. Once bitten, twice shy. Can't imagine two jaded individuals trying to make something work.

Also, karma is a b**** :laugh:

Lol, I don't hang out with her. And karma doesn't apply here at all. Everything has been going better ever since I started being a no-dating *******. All the ****ty times happened before that. But ya for sure, I think all guys need to experience the BS, because honestly, no one ever listens until they experience it. And then you look back and give the next guy advice. And yea, no such thing as love. Love only lasts until the next best thing comes around (or you just decide to have more people to have sex with)

You're just terrified of being hurt, dude. A lot of women (well, people) are ****ty and will cheat.

Definitely. I wasn't trying to sugar coat it at all. I don't want to deal with the emotional up and downs of females- very unstable. And yea the fact that 10 years from now any chick can just decide to cheat. Why put myself through that situation? Just live life for yourself and your fam. I got a few nephews I can spoil and don't have change any diapers :thumbup:

Lol, I don't hang out with her. And karma doesn't apply here at all. Everything has been going better ever since I started being a no-dating *******. All the ****ty times happened before that. But ya for sure, I think all guys need to experience the BS, because honestly, no one ever listens until they experience it. And then you look back and give the next guy advice. And yea, no such thing as love. Love only lasts until the next best thing comes around (or you just decide to have more people to have sex with)

Dude, I'd just like to stretch out an internet bro-hug to you. You seem incredibly jaded. I'm guessing you really put the ***** on the pedestal and she cock-blocked you. With another guy?

Please, for the sake of mankind, give another girl a chance. Love is not a bad thing. Give it another try:

Everyone says that loves hurts, but that's not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Everyone confuse these things with love but in reality, love is the only thing in this world that covers up all the pain and makes us feel wonderful again.

Dude, I'd just like to stretch out an internet bro-hug to you. You seem incredibly jaded. I'm guessing you really put the ***** on the pedestal and she cock-blocked you. With another guy?

Please, for the sake of mankind, give another girl a chance. Love is not a bad thing. Give it another try:

lmfao you got me bro. Thanks for the bro-hug. Yea that did happen, but that was only half of it. When I went crazy after that and just started having sex with whoever, like I said above, a couple girls were in really, really long term relationships. And I just came out thinking **** man, what the hell is wrong with those girls? I bet their boyfriends think they're perfect to be with them for so long. Is there really any ****ing loyalty even after so many years? What about marriage? The feeling I had when that chick monkeybranched was ****ty, rather skip that. But yea, initially it's what you said I admit it (on a forum) ;).

Last edited:
Love is a mirage. Only God is capable of love.

lol @ JP. I can't tell if you're a troll or just one of the few med students that truly thinks like this.

I don't generally pay attention to people's posts across threads, but there is something abnormal in your posts across multiple threads. Can't put my finger on it just yet. You seem like the stereotypical breh that would fit in with the cast of the Jersey Shore. Out of all the students in my class, there isn't one that fits that profile, so it's just weird seeing essentially a combination of Jersey Shore and medical school, even on the internet.

I'm going to be the voice of annoying reason here. Dating in med school has been amazing for me. I can not imagine dating someone else who is not a medical student. Scheduling is so easy. The sex isn't bad either.

Except for whining about med school outside of med school...and the possibility of the other party airing out your dirty laundry to your whole class.