Dating in phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is dating difficult during a clinical psych phd program (for a single woman between 25 and 30)? Some potential issues I see is that grad school is very time consuming, men might be intimidated by the length of schooling/ subject matter (not saying it's PC but might be true in some cases), little opportunities to actually meet men since most people in the field are women, and need to move for internship/post doc/ job.

Members don't see this ad.

It wasn't for me. I met my husband my first year. We got married during my fourth year.

Well, I was younger than 25 but the other stuff applies.

It wasn't for me. I met my husband my first year. We got married during my fourth year.

Well, I was younger than 25 but the other stuff applies.
+1 down to the same timeline. Though you are right there are many women in psychology in general, it is not unusual to have some courses with other psychology programs. For example, our research methods/stats classes were all 3 psych PhD programs combined. Everyone in my cohort who was looking for a partner had at least one long-term relationship during grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It helps to be smokin hot though...

Reactions: 2 users
I'd rec. dating outside of your program…but consider other programs. I found success meeting people over in the medical school and pharmacy program, as both groups of students understand grad school demands and are busy themselves.

I echo the outside of the program sentiment. I dated both within and outside of, more luck out of the program. Going along with T4C, my fiancee is a physician. Met her while she was in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
If you do decide to date within your program, be sure that you're mature enough to work with a potential ex on a daily basis and while maintaining appropriate professional decorum. If you're at all hesitant about you or your prospective partner's ability to do so, stick to dating outside the program.

Like WisNeuro, I dated inside and outside of my grad program; I never ran into overt problems with it, but it tends not to make things any easier. It's probably also not the greatest habit to get into, given that once you're employed, dating co-workers can be exceedingly more precarious.

The majority of (unwed when starting) women in my program met and married someone by the end of grad school. Mix of meeting people in the program, in the department, or out in the world. Almost all of them also had a freak out sometime during grad school that they would never meet someone.

From my experience, grad school is actually an easier time to meet people. You are surrounded by young people through the university (and sometimes college town). They are students in the same place in life. If its a college town, then there are usually a lot of well educated people professionals as well. It seems its a little easier for hetero men to meet women and harder for LGBTQ people unless the program is in a large city.

The majority of (unwed when starting) women in my program met and married someone by the end of grad school. Mix of meeting people in the program, in the department, or out in the world. Almost all of them also had a freak out sometime during grad school that they would never meet someone.

From my experience, grad school is actually an easier time to meet people. You are surrounded by young people through the university (and sometimes college town). They are students in the same place in life. If its a college town, then there are usually a lot of well educated people professionals as well. It seems its a little easier for hetero men to meet women and harder for LGBTQ people unless the program is in a large city.

Agreed. Internship and fellowship were also great for meeting new people. Starting a job, however, isn't quite the same, and it can sometimes be tough initially meeting folks outside of work. But they have all sorts of online activities clubs nowadays, and I know lots of people who've had success with those.

We should totally start a dating sub-forum... with pictures... for science...

Reactions: 1 users