General Admissions & OTCAS Davenport University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon!!! I just applied to Davenport University OT program. Has anybody applied to Davenport University??? Has anyone lived in Michigan. I never lived or been to Michigan. Please any advice

Members don't see this ad.

I also applied to Davenport. I have never been to or visited Michigan either, however I currently live in WI, only 5 hours away from Grand Rapids. I called this week to make sure they received all of my materials, I also asked if they had any time frame for sending out acceptances/denials but she said to call back in a week and they would probably have a better idea. I'm super curious to know how many applications they received. Let me know if you hear anything from them! Good luck!

Yeah I'm s
I also applied to Davenport. I have never been to or visited Michigan either, however I currently live in WI, only 5 hours away from Grand Rapids. I called this week to make sure they received all of my materials, I also asked if they had any time frame for sending out acceptances/denials but she said to call back in a week and they would probably have a better idea. I'm super curious to know how many applications they received. Let me know if you hear anything from them! Good luck!
I'm scared to make that big move. I live in Kansas. What's your stats??? I notice they have two deadline dates. I'm kind of scared. I haven't heard good things about Michigan but you have to see things for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I also recently applied there and I am from Michigan. Grand rapids is a great area just really cold :)

Hello. I also recently applied there and I am from Michigan. Grand rapids is a great area just really cold :)
Oh ok I never lived in the surroundings of Michigan...What's your stats? I feel like I'm not a strong applicant however I have a lot to offer. My gpa is about a 3.0. I worked with children since 2003 but worked with children with special needs since 2010. I have 63 hours of observation hours in three different settings. I guess if I don't get in. I will take the gre.

Oh ok I never lived in the surroundings of Michigan...What's your stats? I feel like I'm not a strong applicant however I have a lot to offer. My gpa is about a 3.0. I worked with children since 2003 but worked with children with special needs since 2010. I have 63 hours of observation hours in three different settings. I guess if I don't get in. I will take the gre.

I am graduating from MSU this year with a 3.2 and I have 84 hours right now and this semester I have an internship so Ill have another 180 to add to that. There alot of other schools who dont take the GRE such as Wayne in Michigan there deadline is not until the 28th. Davenport has not been accredited yet idk if you are aware of that but they are currently in the process of it.

I am graduating from MSU this year with a 3.2 and I have 84 hours right now and this semester I have an internship so Ill have another 180 to add to that. There alot of other schools who dont take the GRE such as Wayne in Michigan there deadline is not until the 28th. Davenport has not been accredited yet idk if you are aware of that but they are currently in the process of it.
That's in Detroit?? How many schools have you applied to??? Did you take the GRE??? What's your undergraduate in?? I undergraduate was in health service management. I want a rehab aid job that's why I'm taking a CNA course. I don't know...Its so competitive. I applied to Creighton University. I'm hoping to get into there. If I don't I will try Tennessee State University, Milligan College, Cox College, and some other schools.

That's in Detroit?? How many schools have you applied to??? Did you take the GRE??? What's your undergraduate in?? I undergraduate was in health service management. I want a rehab aid job that's why I'm taking a CNA course. I don't know...Its so competitive. I applied to Creighton University. I'm hoping to get into there. If I don't I will try Tennessee State University, Milligan College, Cox College, and some other schools.

Yes its in Detroit. I applied to about 12 schools. No i didnt take the GRE. My undergraduate is in Kinesiology. It is very competitive I am really just hoping to get into one!!

Yes its in Detroit. I applied to about 12 schools. No i didnt take the GRE. My undergraduate is in Kinesiology. It is very competitive I am really just hoping to get into one!!
Wow 12 that's a lot!!! You have a lot of options. I wish I should of applied to so more schools but I'm scared of moving.....lol.....

Are you done with all of your pereqs. I'm scared because I'm currently enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology......it's going well....

I live in Michigan and I had no idea that Davenport had an OT program. I applied to GVSU and Western Michigan University, both in Michigan. When is the due date for apps at Davenport? I didn't take the GRE and found it hard to find schools that don't require it. If you don't mind me asking alm9247, what 12 schools did you apply to? :)

In response to Makingmoves2014, Michigan is a nice place to live if you like snow and cold. I have lived here all my life and in the Winters it is quite an experience. This winter we have about 18 inches accumulated in my city!

I live in Michigan and I had no idea that Davenport had an OT program. I applied to GVSU and Western Michigan University, both in Michigan. When is the due date for apps at Davenport? I didn't take the GRE and found it hard to find schools that don't require it. If you don't mind me asking alm9247, what 12 schools did you apply to? :)

In response to Makingmoves2014, Michigan is a nice place to live if you like snow and cold. I have lived here all my life and in the Winters it is quite an experience. This winter we have about 18 inches accumulated in my city!
It gets cold in Kansas we just had a snow storm not too long ago. I'm worried about the crime in Michigan and the job market. I lived in a big city before (Dallas Texas). What is the job market like??? Davenport has two deadline. One in January and one in May. I was in the process of applying to GVSU but stop my application when the admission counselor said the school weighs heavy on the gpa. I know gpa is a factor but why not look at the whole application??

I'm not exactly positive about the job market in Grand Rapids but after googling it I found this:
"The Grand Rapids, MI job market is strong compared to the rest of the US. Over the last year, job postings in Grand Rapids, MI have declined by 12% relative to a national decline of 32%."
From past experience visiting Grand Rapids I've noticed it's a really nice area. Just like any other area, there are nicer neighborhoods to live in than others. People associate Michigan with Detroit and assume that it isn't a good place to live because of the Crime rates in Detroit. Grand Rapids is a very nice area, you won't have much to worry about living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys feel about applying to a program that hasn't been accredited yet? I am in a similar situation as I applied to Abilene Christian University.

How do you guys feel about applying to a program that hasn't been accredited yet? I am in a similar situation as I applied to Abilene Christian University.
I've applied to Abilene Christian University but I don't think I will be getting in because I'm not done with Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with six other classes to boost my gpa to 3.02......So I don't know however I've worked with children since 2003 and I've worked with children with special needs since 2010. So I don't know. I know some people are applying who have 3.87. So I don't know. Last time I checked there were 60 applicants.

I'm not exactly positive about the job market in Grand Rapids but after googling it I found this:
"The Grand Rapids, MI job market is strong compared to the rest of the US. Over the last year, job postings in Grand Rapids, MI have declined by 12% relative to a national decline of 32%."
From past experience visiting Grand Rapids I've noticed it's a really nice area. Just like any other area, there are nicer neighborhoods to live in than others. People associate Michigan with Detroit and assume that it isn't a good place to live because of the Crime rates in Detroit. Grand Rapids is a very nice area, you won't have much to worry about living there.
Ok yeah. I've never lived in Michigan so I'm scared if I do get in. I just need to find a part time job while I'm in the program. I hope they have dorms because I'm not looking to get into apartment.

I've applied to Abilene Christian University but I don't think I will be getting in because I'm not done with Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 with six other classes to boost my gpa to 3.02......So I don't know however I've worked with children since 2003 and I've worked with children with special needs since 2010. So I don't know. I know some people are applying who have 3.87. So I don't know. Last time I checked there were 60 applicants.
@Makingmoves2014 Don't give up! They said they might accept more than 22 this year. 60 applicants was definitely more than I expected though, yikes!! And hopefully the people with a 3.87 GPA will get into another school as well, lol!

@Makingmoves2014 Don't give up! They said they might accept more than 22 this year. 60 applicants was definitely more than I expected though, yikes!! And hopefully the people with a 3.87 GPA will get into another school as well, lol!
They said they will take more than 22. I'm just scared because My overall gpa right now is a 2.83 but I'm taking 10 classes with this semester and most of them are science courses that will boost my gpa over 3.0. I'm taking anatomy and physiology 1 and 2 and physics in the summer. I'm just scared because my gpa is not good however I've have been working with the public since 14. I've worked with children on an Air Force base. I have a special needs child in my classroom and she has improved tremendously. My gpa might not be competitive but I've have great letters of recommendations. I've heard people with gpa lower than 3.5 get in over people who have a 3.8 gpa. I just so stressed................discourage to the max right now.

I'm worried about the program lacking good structure and organization. Like even right now when I call with questions, they can't really answer them. I think I will feel much more personally responsible and in charge of my education, where as with an established program I think I would be more like ok this program has worked well for hundreds of students before me so I'm going to trust to them and go with it.

However, I feel very good about them getting accredited and everything working out just fine in two years. I know I have the right attitude to make the best of whatever the situation may bring, plus I personally haven't heard about anymore going to a new school and it not getting accredited. But I have seen a lot of new schools with lower NBCOT pass rates.

My overall GPA was a 3.2, my prereq GPA is between 3.6-3.8 depending on the school. And my last 60 credits is around a 3.6

And to those worried about moving to a new area, just go into it with a positive mind set and it can be one of the best experiences!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm worried about the program lacking good structure and organization. Like even right now when I call with questions, they can't really answer them. I think I will feel much more personally responsible and in charge of my education, where as with an established program I think I would be more like ok this program has worked well for hundreds of students before me so I'm going to trust to them and go with it.

However, I feel very good about them getting accredited and everything working out just fine in two years. I know I have the right attitude to make the best of whatever the situation may bring, plus I personally haven't heard about anymore going to a new school and it not getting accredited. But I have seen a lot of new schools with lower NBCOT pass rates.

My overall GPA was a 3.2, my prereq GPA is between 3.6-3.8 depending on the school. And my last 60 credits is around a 3.6

And to those worried about moving to a new area, just go into it with a positive mind set and it can be one of the best experiences!
Well I'm you are right about that because they emailed me because they are reviewing my transcript in they overlooked that I've completed Medical Terminology.....So I had to email them back about it. Yeah they also said they look at the whole application. Do you live in Michigan?? Did you apply to other schools?? Is this your first time applying?? If I don't get in I'm going to do the OTA to OT route....or Speech language Pathologist Route.....Its been nerve wrecking!!!!!

Well I'm you are right about that because they emailed me because they are reviewing my transcript in they overlooked that I've completed Medical Terminology.....So I had to email them back about it. Yeah they also said they look at the whole application. Do you live in Michigan?? Did you apply to other schools?? Is this your first time applying?? If I don't get in I'm going to do the OTA to OT route....or Speech language Pathologist Route.....Its been nerve wrecking!!!!!

I live in Madison Wisconsin, so about 5 hours from Grand Rapids. So for me it wouldn't be a huge change.

This is my first time applying, I just graduated in December. I applied to UW Madison, UW La Crosse, St. Scholastica, Tennessee State and Davenport. I know my stats are not great and I don't feel the need to go to a top ranked school so I tried to apply to schools with acceptance rates close to my stats (except for Madison) in hopes of getting in this round. And tuition is a big factor, which makes Tennessee State and Scholastica last on my list. When I look at Davenport's website they don't list tuition for the MOT program to be any different than other graduate program's tuition. I'm hoping that is the case, because then the program would be very reasonable for a private school.

But yes I agree very nerve wrecking process! Although now that I am officially done sending out apps, and with only one possible interview, I am just super excited to find out where I'll be for the next 2 1/2 years. I can't wait to start meeting my classmates.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in Madison Wisconsin, so about 5 hours from Grand Rapids. So for me it wouldn't be a huge change.

This is my first time applying, I just graduated in December. I applied to UW Madison, UW La Crosse, St. Scholastica, Tennessee State and Davenport. I know my stats are not great and I don't feel the need to go to a top ranked school so I tried to apply to schools with acceptance rates close to my stats (except for Madison) in hopes of getting in this round. And tuition is a big factor, which makes Tennessee State and Scholastica last on my list. When I look at Davenport's website they don't list tuition for the MOT program to be any different than other graduate program's tuition. I'm hoping that is the case, because then the program would be very reasonable for a private school.

But yes I agree very nerve wrecking process! Although now that I am officially done sending out apps, and with only one possible interview, I am just super excited to find out where I'll be for the next 2 1/2 years. I can't wait to start meeting my classmates.

Emily722 - Have you heard anything from St Scholastica yet? Get an interview?

Emily722 - Have you heard anything from St Scholastica yet? Get an interview?
I got an email a couple weeks back saying they were just beginning to look over applications and schedule interviews, but I haven't heard anything since. I also haven't taken Pathophysiology, so that's probably not helping my application. I only planned on taking the course if I got accepted, but it's getting pretty late to still do that. But it was a last resort school for me anyways, mainly because of the cost.

I got an email a couple weeks back saying they were just beginning to look over applications and schedule interviews, but I haven't heard anything since. I also haven't taken Pathophysiology, so that's probably not helping my application. I only planned on taking the course if I got accepted, but it's getting pretty late to still do that. But it was a last resort school for me anyways, mainly because of the cost.

I'm pretty much in the same boat - got that email about them finally starting to review applications (why does it take them so long??) but hadn't heard anything since. Also still needed pathophysiology. But I just got a phone call this afternoon from my top choice school (puget sound) so I guess it doesn't matter that st scholastica is taking forever :)

Not sure if anyone else was wondering about the cost of Davenport's program, but I thought I'd share just in case. I called yesterday and they said the tuition cost should be similar to their nursing program, but they are not 100 percent sure yet. Their nursing program is $592 per credit and the OT program is 78 credits.

Not sure if anyone else was wondering about the cost of Davenport's program, but I thought I'd share just in case. I called yesterday and they said the tuition cost should be similar to their nursing program, but they are not 100 percent sure yet. Their nursing program is $592 per credit and the OT program is 78 credits.
The school is kind unorganized........They have two applications deadlines.........

I've talked with Davenport admissions on the phone several times.

I've seen several schools with two deadlines - usually one is Sept/Oct and one is Dec/Jan. What I was told Davenport was doing was that they were going to go through the first batch of applications, and come up with a list of people they wanted to admit. However, they would offer only half the slots to the top half of the people they wanted to admit. Then they would wait another couple months and see how many additional people applied and how strong they were compared to the ones they had before.

In my most recent phone call this past week, they said that they had been getting applications released from OTCAS in bursts with gaps of a week or two in between. I know that up until the time when OTCAS had finished entering my transcripts, the website said they were still on transcripts from about a week earlier. So that fits with the "burst" theory. They said they had been looking at applications but hadn't been making any major decisions.

Having the two deadlines really makes sense if one of them is going to be as late as May. Last year I got in trouble because my top choice school had a very late deadline. I thought I had all the prerequisite classes covered, but I was missing one. My other backup schools with late deadlines actually had rolling admissions and had filled their classes at that point.

I'm an older student changing careers, and my undergraduate GPA 20 years ago wasn't very good overall. Partly due to spending too much time on extracurricular activities and chasing guys. Everything I've done since then has been a 3.8 average, and I've accumulated a lot of interesting life experiences that take too long to describe in a 2 page essay. So I'm looking at a lot of the candidate/developing programs as perhaps an easier way to get in.

The school is kind unorganized........They have two applications deadlines.........
I don't think having two deadlines makes them unorganized. It is pretty normal and especially makes sense for a new program. But as a new program they obviously still have a lot of details to work out.

I've seen several schools with two deadlines - usually one is Sept/Oct and one is Dec/Jan. What I was told Davenport was doing was that they were going to go through the first batch of applications, and come up with a list of people they wanted to admit. However, they would offer only half the slots to the top half of the people they wanted to admit. Then they would wait another couple months and see how many additional people applied and how strong they were compared to the ones they had before.

In my most recent phone call this past week, they said that they had been getting applications released from OTCAS in bursts with gaps of a week or two in between. I know that up until the time when OTCAS had finished entering my transcripts, the website said they were still on transcripts from about a week earlier. So that fits with the "burst" theory. They said they had been looking at applications but hadn't been making any major decisions.

Having the two deadlines really makes sense if one of them is going to be as late as May. Last year I got in trouble because my top choice school had a very late deadline. I thought I had all the prerequisite classes covered, but I was missing one. My other backup schools with late deadlines actually had rolling admissions and had filled their classes at that point.

I'm an older student changing careers, and my undergraduate GPA 20 years ago wasn't very good overall. Partly due to spending too much time on extracurricular activities and chasing guys. Everything I've done since then has been a 3.8 average, and I've accumulated a lot of interesting life experiences that take too long to describe in a 2 page essay. So I'm looking at a lot of the candidate/developing programs as perhaps an easier way to get in.
That's interesting. After I talked to them I got the impression they were going to make decisions based on their first round of applicants and look at the second round as space was available. Although, I didn't ask anything specific. They also mentioned trying to move the process along quickly as they know they have a lot of eager applicants.

I didn't mean that their unorganized by have two deadlines....its just confusing when I speak to people in admissions saying that I have missing documents. My admission counselor cleared that up for me. Has anyone heard of Kettering College which is in Dayton Ohio. They are in the process of having an OTD program. I'm also applying there too. Sorry about the confusion.

I don't think having two deadlines makes them unorganized. It is pretty normal and especially makes sense for a new program. But as a new program they obviously still have a lot of details to work out.

That's interesting. After I talked to them I got the impression they were going to make decisions based on their first round of applicants and look at the second round as space was available. Although, I didn't ask anything specific. They also mentioned trying to move the process along quickly as they know they have a lot of eager applicants.
I didn't mean that their unorganized by have two deadlines....its just confusing when I speak to people in admissions saying that I have missing documents. My admission counselor cleared that up for me. Has anyone heard of Kettering College which is in Dayton Ohio. They are in the process of having an OTD program. I'm also applying there too. Sorry about the confusion.

those who applied, do you mind posting up your stats

I received an acceptance letter yesterday from Davenport, but will be declining for a cheaper in-state program. Good luck to those who attend, part of me was excited by the idea of being part of a new program.

Did anyone else in here get an acceptance and is going? I'm from Kansas and I'm going for sure to Davenport. Let me know :)

I got a "we got your application and will be looking at it for our second deadline" letter.

Did anyone else in here get an acceptance and is going? I'm from Kansas and I'm going for sure to Davenport. Let me know :)
I'm form Kansas!! I live in the Wichita area! What part of Kansas do you live. I also applied to Davenport but was rejected and my application will be moving on to the next application date. What are your stats. My stats aren't great but I do have mostly A's and B's in my prereqs.

Awesome! I'm from the KC area. I have A's, Bs for pre reqs. I have a 3.2 gpa cumulative. ive also worked at a lot of OT/PT clinics. Keep me posted on your status for the next round. I hope you get in! This process has been stressful ah

Awesome! I'm from the KC area. I have A's, Bs for pre reqs. I have a 3.2 gpa cumulative. ive also worked at a lot of OT/PT clinics. Keep me posted on your status for the next round. I hope you get in! This process has been stressful ah
congrats..can you share more about ur stats...sceience GPA/pre req GPA.?

Guys did we have to send in the application via OTCAS? I sent in the application packet that's on their website.

Guys did we have to send in the application via OTCAS? I sent in the application packet that's on their website.
Yes, I applied through OTCAS. For most programs there is only one correct way to apply, but I think they may be more lenient considering they are still figuring things out too.

I would just call them Monday. Unlike other programs, I have always been able to actually talk to someone and they were very nice/helpful.

Yes, I applied through OTCAS. For most programs there is only one correct way to apply, but I think they may be more lenient considering they are still figuring things out too.

I would just call them Monday. Unlike other programs, I have always been able to actually talk to someone and they were very nice/helpful.
thanks. what do you think of the Daveport program?

also does OTCAS require you to put classes in, even if you repeated the class...say you got a C and then you re took it and got an A, but OTCAS asks you to put in the classes everytime you took it which averages out to a B?

thanks. what do you think of the Daveport program?

also does OTCAS require you to put classes in, even if you repeated the class...say you got a C and then you re took it and got an A, but OTCAS asks you to put in the classes everytime you took it which averages out to a B?
I honestly can't say much about Davenport's program. It's also hard to comment considering this is their very first class. I would talk to other people who attended non-accredited school, I feel like you may find a common theme of pros and cons.
Cost was a really big issue for me, and I think their tuition is very reasonable. That and the fact that Grand Rapids is significantly closer to me than most other programs I applied to were my main reasons for applying. Plus, my cumulative GPA was only a 3.2 and I thought I'd stand a better chance applying to a new program. Ultimately, I chose to go to an in-state public school.

And yes, for OTCAS you have to enter all grades earned, including every repeat. Even if it would average out to a B, you still enter the classes separately instead of just putting a B for the course.

I honestly can't say much about Davenport's program. It's also hard to comment considering this is their very first class. I would talk to other people who attended non-accredited school, I feel like you may find a common theme of pros and cons.
Cost was a really big issue for me, and I think their tuition is very reasonable. That and the fact that Grand Rapids is significantly closer to me than most other programs I applied to were my main reasons for applying. Plus, my cumulative GPA was only a 3.2 and I thought I'd stand a better chance applying to a new program. Ultimately, I chose to go to an in-state public school.

And yes, for OTCAS you have to enter all grades earned, including every repeat. Even if it would average out to a B, you still enter the classes separately instead of just putting a B for the course.

thats some information. Do you know how much davenport fees is?

also what were your science and pre rep GPA? and shadowing hours?

I am wondering how long it takes after the application deadline for them to send out interview dates and then acceptance letters..do you happen to know?

thats some information. Do you know how much davenport fees is?

also what were your science and pre rep GPA? and shadowing hours?

I am wondering how long it takes after the application deadline for them to send out interview dates and then acceptance letters..do you happen to know?

When I called about tuition for the program they said that they didn't have it completely figured out yet, but that it would be close to the tuition of their nursing program (which is listed on their website). However, that was at least 2 months ago so they may know more now.

They currently do not require an interview. I applied during the first round and compared to other schools I felt like they made their decisions in a very timely manner. I think it was March 10th that I heard back from them and the deadline was January 31st. The second deadline is in May.

Reactions: 1 user
congrats..can you share more about ur stats...sceience GPA/pre req GPA.?

My pre-req gpa was higher than my cumulative. I think maybe 3.6? cumulative was 3.2. I think I heard back from them around March 10th as well. They have been great about emailing and answering any of my questions.

I wish I knew more about how the accreditation process worked. I feel like they will be accredited just looking at their other health programs. I saw an article that theyre going to start a PT program too.

Its a new school. Things vary and what they found for the first deadline might not be true for the second. Call the school and ask. Read their website about the number of hours in the program and the tuition per hour. Info won't be handed to you on a silver platter. From a previous poster, the tuition was similar to masters in nursing.

They were taking applications two ways - both paper - easier for ppl who hadn't applied through OTCAS and then OTCAS for ppl who had already applied somewhere else.

I am pretty sure that the stats for final admittance will be different than the first cut.

If you have questions about the accreditation process contact acote. I might have more time latter to write but it is very heavily supported by experienced ppl if a program getrs to the second stage

Curlyhairedgirl, did you get accepted and will you be attending? Can you post up your stats ? Im nervous about not getting admitted. I wonder if this is less competitive than other schools..

Its a new school. Things vary and what they found for the first deadline might not be true for the second. Call the school and ask. Read their website about the number of hours in the program and the tuition per hour. Info won't be handed to you on a silver platter. From a previous poster, the tuition was similar to masters in nursing.

They were taking applications two ways - both paper - easier for ppl who hadn't applied through OTCAS and then OTCAS for ppl who had already applied somewhere else.

I am pretty sure that the stats for final admittance will be different than the first cut.

If you have questions about the accreditation process contact acote. I might have more time latter to write but it is very heavily supported by experienced ppl if a program getrs to the second stage