David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you guys hear this???

keanu reaves' former boyfriend just donated 200million dollars to ucla!!!

-check it out:::

>Geffen Donates $200 Million to UCLA
>
>May 7, 2002
>
>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
>
>
>
>Filed at 9:04 a.m. ET
>
>
>
>LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Hollywood mogul David Geffen is
>donating $200 million to the UCLA medical school -- the
>largest, single donation ever given to a U.S. medical
>school.
>
>The 50-year-old school will be renamed the David Geffen
>School of Medicine at UCLA. School officials said the
>donation is unrestricted, which means they can decide how
>to use the money.
>
>``This is a university's dream kind of gift,'' UCLA
>Chancellor Albert Carnesale said.
>
>In a statement issued Tuesday, Geffen said he wants to
>continue to support Los Angeles-based organizations.
>
>Geffen, 59, co-founder of the entertainment production
>company DreamWorks SKG, has donated millions of dollars to
>other medical-related causes. They include gifts of $2.5
>million to AIDS Project Los Angeles, $2.5 million to the
>Gay Men's Health Crisis in New York, and $1.4 million to
>AIDS Action in Washington.
>
>Geffen also has given to UCLA before. A $5 million donation
>resulted in the naming of the school's theater as the
>Geffen Playhouse.
>
>As of last June, the UCLA medical school's endowment was
>more than $587 million. The money drawn annually from
>Geffen's gift will go toward training medical scientists,
>research and providing financial aid for students, said
>Gerald S. Levey, dean of the UCLA medical school.
>
>``I have great respect and affection for UCLA, and my hope
>is that with this gift, UCLA's doctors and researchers will
>be better equipped to unravel medicine's mysteries -- and
>deliver the cures for tomorrow,'' Geffen said.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Geffen-UCLA-Gift.html?ex=1021780834&ei=1&en=d1fdd124df9b9fec

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't that happen with Northwestern too...I think my life long goal is to make that much money and use it to immortalize myself by having a school named after me...

When I first read this post, I thought you were KIDDING! This isn't a joke, is it?

That might be the most disturbing thing I've ever read or heard. I got out of a career in film because I thought that medicine was a little more highbrow. Guess not.

Money talks, I guess. Not that I would ever have gotten in, but you can take David Geffen U off my app list!

Members don't see this ad :)
cornell is weill medical college after weill donated 100 million.

Thanks for that information. This can only mean even greater things for UCLA. Another reason to hope I get that acceptance letter in the mail!

University of Iowa sold its public medical school(the only MD school in the state of Iowa) to an industrialist for $60M (money will be pooled over 15 years or so, in other words, $4M/year)1-2 months ago.
It seems like Northwester, cornell, and UCLA had better deals than Iowa.

I guess that's why living expense in midwest is cheaper, thus the cost of immortalize one's name on the med school is less.

B.

wait

it was supposed to be called the Ronald Regan UCLA School of medicine...are u sure, their foundation donated 150 million to UCLA...

damn 150 + 200 = 350...ucla is on the rise baby....

keanue reeves has a boyfriend? I didn't know he was gay....

u know it's funny..if someone donates more than 200 million,then the hospital will get renamed again...

if only...I had that money...

Watcha's School of Medicine...hehe :p

i wanna be a geffen-er

•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•wait

it was supposed to be called the Ronald Regan UCLA School of medicine...are u sure, their foundation donated 150 million to UCLA...

keanue reeves has a boyfriend? I didn't know he was gay....•••••I don't think he's gay... I think that whole Geffen thing started cuz Geffen was with some gay guy that looked like Keanu Reeves.

This is an excerpt from an article in LATimes.. it talks about various donations to UCs and Stanford

>>
The new Geffen donation nearly doubles the largest previous cash donations earmarked for a university medical school. The previous record was the $110-million gift to USC's medical school by the W.M. Keck Foundation in 1999.

Still, the Geffen donation barely cracks the top dozen among all categories of gifts to American colleges or universities. The nation's leader on that score is Caltech, which last year received a combined $600 million from Intel co-founder Gordon Moore and his wife, Betty Moore, along with their Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation. That same year, the Hewlett foundation gave $400 million to Stanford University.

According to UCLA officials, the largest gift given to the University of California previously was a donation of $101.3 million to UC San Francisco by the Catellus Development Corp. in 1999.
<<

Another excerpt from UCLA Med website. This contains some interesting info I didn't know about UCLA med b4:

>>
A relative youngster among its peers, the UCLA School of Medicine quickly emerged as an educational leader, attracting a superb faculty and outstanding students. Although it recently celebrated only its 50th anniversary, UCLA ranks in the top 10 U.S. medical schools to receive National Institutes of Health funding.

The UCLA School of Medicine's more than 2,000 faculty include world-renowned experts in clinical practice and scientific research. Many have earned coveted awards such as the Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize and National Medal of Science. In 2001, 91 physicians from UCLA were named to "America's Top Doctors" honor roll, making UCLA Medical Center one of the top three in the nation to achieve such a distinction.

Nearly 5,400 candidates apply each year for admission to the UCLA School of Medicine's 121 coveted first-year positions. The school's total enrollment is approximately 700 students, including 83 candidates pursuing combined M.D/Ph.D. degrees and 450 graduate students working towards a Ph.D. More than 1,400 postgraduate residents and fellows also pursue their training at UCLA and its affiliated hospitals.

More medical students at UCLA have won the prestigious McLean and Cadbury Awards ? awarded each year by the Association of American Medical Colleges to the nation's No. 1 and No. 2 minority graduates ? than at any other of the association's 125 member schools.

In 1998 the school achieved national recognition for its commitment to addressing the medical needs of society's less fortunate. The school and its affiliated Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science received the Association of American Medical Colleges' sixth annual Outstanding Community Service Award. The prize honored UCLA and Drew for identifying and addressing diverse health problems and making a significant difference in the lives of Los Angeles-area residents. The school and its medical students support more than 20 community outreach programs to benefit the medically underserved.

As part of the University of California, the UCLA School of Medicine receives only 13 percent of its funding from the state. The school relies on funding from research grants, patient care revenue and philanthropic donations to fulfill its three-part mission of research, education and patient care.

<<

•••quote:•••Originally posted by moo:
I don't think he's gay... I think that whole Geffen thing started cuz Geffen was with some gay guy that looked like Keanu Reeves.•••••they DID go out. it's in geffen's autobiography AND i remember hearing keanu talk about it with howard stern. keanu isn't strictly gay, though, he goes both ways. now he goes out with carrie ann moss from the matrix and memento

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•wait

keanue reeves has a boyfriend? I didn't know he was gay....•••••The new medical center is supposed to be named for Ronald Reagan, but the Medical School (across the street) will now be named for Geffen. The only problem is that as you walk towards UCLA, Reagan is on the LEFT and Geffen on the RIGHT...shouldn't this be the other way around?

The rich get richer. Regan's foundation as mentioned already had donated $150 million to UCLA.

I've never heard of UCLA affiliated hospitals getting shut down.

On the other hand, USC's peds hospital was closed down a few years ago and USC County General (2000 bed hospital) had half it's beds closed down as well.

USC undergrad is in South Central and it's med school in East L.A., while UCLA is in West Wood and affiliated with Cedar Sinai (the hospital for the rich). I wonder if these facts play into who gets the contributions.

that was pretty good, man!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Vin Scully:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•wait

keanue reeves has a boyfriend? I didn't know he was gay....•••••The new medical center is supposed to be named for Ronald Reagan, but the Medical School (across the street) will now be named for Geffen. The only problem is that as you walk towards UCLA, Reagan is on the LEFT and Geffen on the RIGHT...shouldn't this be the other way around?•••••

rage against the machine, brotha!
haha... gimme a break. we should all be happy people are donating at all, no matter where it is.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jmejia1:
•The rich get richer. Regan's foundation as mentioned already had donated $150 million to UCLA.

I've never heard of UCLA affiliated hospitals getting shut down.

On the other hand, USC's peds hospital was closed down a few years ago and USC County General (2000 bed hospital) had half it's beds closed down as well.

USC undergrad is in South Central and it's med school in East L.A., while UCLA is in West Wood and affiliated with Cedar Sinai (the hospital for the rich). I wonder if these facts play into who gets the contributions.•••••

bleh!

not to be obnoxious, and i think it's great that he donated so much money, but i'm wondering, does it make anyone else kind of sick? it almost feels like the commercialization of medical school! sure lots of schools are named after donors, but david geffen is DAVID GEFFEN. it's like having the michael jackson school of medicine.... i'm planning on going to ucla.. i'm going to keep calling it ucla :)

Agree with 'tekno chic' competely. Thanks for donation... but if you are truly philanthropic... you dont have to have your name plastered everywhere... you should be doing it because you care, not because you want recgonition. I cant wait for Bill and Melinda Gates School of Medicine at The University of Washington at Seattle. What about Oprah Winfrey School of Medicine at The University of Illinois-Chicago. Sorry, one more... Mark Cuban School of Medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas.

By the way, I am a UCLA graduate and love that school. I BLEED BLUE AND GOLD. But I think they are ****** for money since they are a public school competing with private schools for money and donations and reputation. I am thinking of donating my computer to them to get a lecture hall named after me.

I have a terrible feeling that renaming the school is a HUGE part of the kissing ass necessary to get the donation.

Anyway... congrats for UCLA.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by moo:
I don't think he's gay... I think that whole Geffen thing started cuz Geffen was with some gay guy that looked like Keanu Reeves.•••••they DID go out. it's in geffen's autobiography AND i remember hearing keanu talk about it with howard stern. keanu isn't strictly gay, though, he goes both ways. now he goes out with carrie ann moss from the matrix and memento•••••u've read his autobiography? we are obsessed with keanu and david now are we, :rolleyes: :p :wink: :D

How about Larry Flynt School of Medicine at Loma Linda? :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:
•rage against the machine, brotha!
haha... gimme a break. we should all be happy people are donating at all, no matter where it is.

•••quote:•••:
[qb]qb]•••••••••gimme a break? losen your underwear a little. i don't see anything outrageous with what I wrote. its not often that someone makes me hate thier guts, but bumping heads with you has really left a sour impression.

hah... yes i remember. back in the spanish-thread, it all started with you accusing me of saying stuff that someone else (yes, someone else, not me) said. i remember you calling me a bigot and a racist, when i had never even said anything remotely close to that. so excuse me if i don't have that great of an impression of you either!
what's worse, when i call you on it to take what you say back, you never reply and instead haul around the racebait card even more, calling people racist left and right.

you're one of those people that think every1 and the whold world is out to get them, that they're up to no good. so you don't hesitate to brand every1 around you a racist or something similar, when they are not even close to being one. if you had read my threads even remotely closely, you would have known that i love all races, especially spanish -- and yes, i'm even learning spanish in the future. but nope, you skim over threads, pinning other stuff that other people say on me and then labeling me with something totally untrue.

and then don't even have the balls to respond when some1 calls you on it. of course, i don't expect a response here either. thank god we're not going to the same school. i don't want to be around someone that arrogant and so quick to hate. enjoy your blind racebaiting.

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:

[qb]qb]•••••••••gimme a break? losen your underwear a little. i don't see anything outrageous with what I wrote. its not often that someone makes me hate thier guts, but bumping heads with you has really left a sour impression.•••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:
•hah... yes i remember. back in the spanish-thread, it all started with you accusing me of saying stuff that someone else (yes, someone else, not me) said. i remember you calling me a bigot and a racist, when i had never even said anything remotely close to that. so excuse me if i don't have that great of an impression of you either!
what's worse, when i call you on it to take what you say back, you never reply and instead haul around the racebait card even more, calling people racist left and right.

you're one of those people that think every1 and the whold world is out to get them, that they're up to no good. so you don't hesitate to brand every1 around you a racist or something similar, when they are not even close to being one. if you had read my threads even remotely closely, you would have known that i love all races, especially spanish -- and yes, i'm even learning spanish in the future. but nope, you skim over threads, pinning other stuff that other people say on me and then labeling me with something totally untrue.

and then don't even have the balls to respond when some1 calls you on it. of course, i don't expect a response here either. thank god we're not going to the same school. i don't want to be around someone that arrogant and so quick to hate. enjoy your blind racebaiting.

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by matthew0126:

[qb]qb]•••••••••gimme a break? losen your underwear a little. i don't see anything outrageous with what I wrote. its not often that someone makes me hate thier guts, but bumping heads with you has really left a sour impression.••••••••••Trust me, I don't think the whole world is out to get me or anyone else. If I had that mentality I wouldn't be where I am now.

I stand strong in what I believe, and I just simply dislike you. You're what I call a hippocrit.

yes, and as you know, you disgust me, for all those reasons above. hypocrite... is about the most opposite word to describe me.

anyways, jmeija1, how about we cut this short eh? i'll just ignore you from now on, you ignore me. hopefully we go to different medical schools,

BUT despite the ill will that has gone on between us...

i wish you the best of luck in becoming a doctor and being a positive force within your community. peace

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Vin Scully:
•The new medical center is supposed to be named for Ronald Reagan, but the Medical School (across the street) will now be named for Geffen. The only problem is that as you walk towards UCLA, Reagan is on the LEFT and Geffen on the RIGHT...shouldn't this be the other way around?•••••I guess it all depends if you're approaching from Wilshire or from Sunset . . . :wink:

(I had to be stupid -- but you're sentiments were quite funny!)