David Newman allegations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, Dr. Newman is still innocent until proven guilty, but the Manhattan DA would not pursue this case if they didn't think they had one.

My point is that the woman involved is also innocent until proven guilty of the crime of making a false accusation. Very few people extended the same courtesy and logic to her when this started.

Not wanting to believe a colleague could be guilty of a heinous crime is entirely different from condemning the accuser. One could do the former, without doing the latter. For example, one could believe the woman was mistaken, either about the identity of the assailant (she thought Dr Newman assaulted her, but it was the janitor) or the even itself (she was 'drugged' after all). Or one could have no opinion about the accuser at all. If you can't see that, then perhaps you are bringing your own biases into the conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, Dr. Newman is still innocent until proven guilty, but the Manhattan DA would not pursue this case if they didn't think they had one.

My point is that the woman involved is also innocent until proven guilty of the crime of making a false accusation. Very few people extended the same courtesy and logic to her when this started.

to be fair. youre making a big deal about indictment. I had an indictment made against me for making a left onto a street with a "no left 7am-7pm" sign at 7:20am. I show up on that system too. Just means that you have a criminal case opened. It doesnt mean anything.

With that said, unrelated information the nypd let leak does suggest he did it. But we will see how that plays out, I guess. Hoping for the best.

to be fair. youre making a big deal about indictment. I had an indictment made against me for making a left onto a street with a "no left 7am-7pm" sign at 7:20am. I show up on that system too. Just means that you have a criminal case opened. It doesnt mean anything.

With that said, unrelated information the nypd let leak does suggest he did it. But we will see how that plays out, I guess. Hoping for the best.

I hope the "best" you refer to is justice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
He has been formally indicted in criminal court. The DNA test results are a match. Those of you who thought that he couldn't possibly have done it and was slandered by a "crazy woman" ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

View attachment 201437

Ok, I see the charges but where exactly are you seeing the 'DNA is a match' ?

Isn't being accused/charged of something equal to being guilty of it? [/sarcasm]

Reactions: 1 users
This is quite possibly the worst defense I have ever heard. His explanation makes him sound like even more of a creep than just copping to the allegations.
Wow. Just wow. This looks really bad.

"Well you see, I was cleaning my gun at home, and then I walked over to the bank forgetting it was still in my hands, and I inadvertantly pointed it at the teller's face. I'm so embarrassed, I can't believe this is happening".

I hadn't seen this reported before today, there are now 4 women making allegations. This is going to be a complete circus for him if he continues with the not guilty plea and lets it go to trial.

This is quite possibly the worst defense I have ever heard. His explanation makes him sound like even more of a creep than just copping to the allegations.
Yes It seems to be a direct quote which is even more terrible that his lawyer would allow him to make this statement. Just that statement alone is going to end his career and any hope of future employment

Members don't see this ad :)
At minimum, he's in trouble from an ID standpoint for not washing his hands between patients.

Reactions: 19 users
It's time for me to eat my words.

I thought this story was too odd to be true, I was wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you, New York Post, for the astute observation and grave concern for a possible violation of "rigorous hand-washing policy"

"Newman, who may also be in violation of his hospital’s rigorous hand-washing policy"

http://nypost.com/2016/03/24/semen-on-patients-face-was-an-accident-doctor-says/

"He’s an admitted wack job.

The former Mount Sinai doctor accused of drugging a patient and ejaculating on her face claims he masturbated in a lounge before the incident and later inadvertently got semen on the victim, according to newly released court papers.

“I treated that woman in the ER for shoulder pain,” Dr. David Newman, 44, told cops when shown a picture of the patient at his Montclair, NJ, home on Jan. 12, the same day he saw her.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––
I am embarrassed because I wacked off in the lounge, and it was possible that the ejaculate may have gone from my hands to the woman’s blanket.”

He continued with his bizarre explanation: “Semen may have also transferred from my hand to her face during the time I treated her.”

Newman, who may also be in violation of his hospital’s rigorous hand-washing policy, was arrested a week later when he turned himself in Jan. 19 at the Manhattan Special Victims Unit.

Meanwhile, prosecutors said Thursday at his arraignment in Manhattan Supreme Court that DNA taken immediately after the alleged assault matched Newman’s.

“Dr. Newman masturbated at her bedside and ejaculated on her face,” said Assistant District Attorney Eun-Ha Kim. “Spermatozoa was found on her eye, and DNA from her cheek and eye match Dr. Newman’s DNA.” The prosecutor also said that Newman incapacitated the patient before his sick “examination” by administering a dose of morphine, after a nurse had already done so, “in absolute violation of hospital protocol.”

Newman did not document the extra dose of the powerful painkiller on her chart, Kim said.

The woman has since filed a civil suit against him and the hospital.

Three more women, ranging in age from 18 to 21, have since come forward and accused Newman of groping their breasts during visits to the pediatric ER in the summer and fall of 2015, the prosecutor said.

One came in for a cold, another for an eyebrow rash and the third a headache.

“There was simply no medically legitimate reason to fondle these women’s breasts,” the ADA said.

Kim described Newman’s conduct as “egregious” and offered him four years in prison if he pleaded guilty to the top count.

Defense lawyer Susan Necheles rejected the stiff offer on behalf of her client.

“Mr. Newman obviously denies all of these allegations,” she said. “They’re not true. This case appears to be a case that will go to trial.”

Newman pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual abuse. He is no longer employed at Mount Sinai, a spokeswoman said.

Newman has frequently lectured on the topic of improving the patient-doctor relationship.

So, let me get this straight:

-Best case scenario is he's unbelievably gross guy that, in his words "wacks off in the lounge" at work and spreads semen all over his work place afterwords and all over random people all around him and is guilty of the worst serial Joint Commission hand-washing violation in Galactic history, or

-Worst case scenario being he's a serial rapist and will likely do hard time on Rikers Island with terrorists, pedophiles and mass murderers?

Wow. Stark choices.

http://nypost.com/2016/03/24/semen-on-patients-face-was-an-accident-doctor-says/

Reactions: 8 users
Ok, I see the charges but where exactly are you seeing the 'DNA is a match' ?
It's obvious from his alleged admission his semen got on the accuser. Good luck finding a judge that'll allow serial first degree, premeditated rape to get reduced to the charge of "sloppy body fluid management," or a jury malleable enough to accept that as reasonable doubt.

Reactions: 3 users
So, let me get this straight:

-Best case scenario is he's unbelievably gross guy that, in his words "wacks off in the lounge" at work and spreads semen all over his work place afterwords and all over random people all around him and is guilty of the worst serial Joint Commission hand-washing violation in Galactic history, or

-Worst case scenario being he's a serial rapist and will likely do hard time on Rikers Island with terrorists, pedophiles and mass murderers?

Wow. Stark choices.
Just a note - Riker's is for people not bailed or are awaiting trial, or serving a 1 year or less sentence. If convicted, he would go to a prison such as Greenhaven, Ossining, or Attica. Riker's Island is a city facility. All NYS felonies are state cases (even if argued by the District Attorney's office).

Just a note - Riker's is for people not bailed or are awaiting trial, or serving a 1 year or less sentence. If convicted, he would go to a prison such as Greenhaven, Ossining, or Attica. Riker's Island is a city facility. All NYS felonies are state cases (even if argued by the District Attorney's office).
So he's got that going for him. No Rikers.

Instead, he'll have to do "actual" hard time.

To the extent the NY Post article is accurate, and his

"explanation"....

I think he'd be best to take the four years, honestly. Otherwise, pre-meditated rape, with several other cases coming right behind it, plus DNA evidence is bad. Very bad. Combine that with a less than impressed judge who couldn't give a flying ---- how many times you got published in EM coffee table journals about "doctor patient relationships" telling you you're already good for a minimum of four years, and you might soon be staring down 20 to life.

Time to start lifting heavy weights, get tatted up, shave the head, and start doing some of your time while you've still got some life left on the other side of cell block six. Not joking. This is a bad set of clouds coming into view. None of the choices are good.

Angry birds brought the heat in this thread.

It's time for me to eat my words.

I thought this story was too odd to be true, I was wrong.

I refused to just automatically accept his guilt, because there should be a presumption of innocence. So I held out until damning proof came out. His quote is damning, so I gave the guilty verdict.

None of this proves the people who jumped the gun to be right... at least not their methodology.

None of us--at least not I or anyone else I saw--were saying "he is innocent" or "he is being framed"--only that we would like to wait for more information before passing judgment. This is a reasonably cautious approach, and every person deserves that level of caution for such an egregious charge.

Anyways now maybe he and Jared can share a cell.

Reactions: 2 users
Screw this guy.
We've been duped.
David seemed like a voice of reason in our world...turns out he is a sexual predator.
Hippocrates Shadow (by David Newman) was the book I bought for my residents to read.
SMARTEM was a brilliant analysis of the issues that matter when we are taking care of our patients.
Whatever personal baggage he was carrying with him, at least do us the favor to not embarrass our profession.
My heart goes out to his wife and kids. His kids have no part of this, his wife seems to be a strong patient advocate who deserves to be heard assuming she had no knowledge of this.
Really sad to read all of this. When it comes to EM, David was a voice we needed to hear.
I never thought the guy was perfect, I did think he was the kind of guy who would go to the mat doing what was right for the patient...
I hope Dr. Shreves lands on her feet.
I hope Dr. Newman enjoys his time in prison.

ps. get a better lawyer
pss. Screw you David Newman

If you re-read pages 1/2 of this thread, and then now, there's definitely a stark contrast. Very unfortunate. I watched a couple of his youtube videos and the guy just seemed like such a great person. Its hard to believe, really. Hope he enjoys his time in prison.

We've been duped.
David seemed like a voice of reason in our world...turns out he is a sexual predator.

Seriously. So disappointing. What a scumbag. I guess this sort of embodies the idea of reaction formations -- it's pretty astounding that he's seemingly going to try to plead innocence. We'll see what a jury thinks of the coincidence of him having masturbated at work right before being accused of sexual assault by someone he "accidentally" re-dosed with an undocumented quantity of morphine. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to attribute this to something like substance abuse or "sex addiction".

Sad day for the specialty regardless of how it plays out. I feel terrible for his wife and newborn child, but I hope he goes to jail if the facts are determined to be as they appear now and he is found guilty. The public deserves to know that they can have confidence that the justice and medical systems will deal with these things the right way, swiftly and harshly, and that notoriety and money will not shield him from the consequences.

This looks terrible.

The media does a terrible job at presenting facts.

I will follow the story closely, but I will reserve judgement.

Seriously. So disappointing. What a scumbag. I guess this sort of embodies the idea of reaction formations -- it's pretty astounding that he's seemingly going to try to plead innocence. We'll see what a jury thinks of the coincidence of him having masturbated at work right before being accused of sexual assault by someone he "accidentally" re-dosed with an undocumented quantity of morphine. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to attribute this to something like substance abuse or "sex addiction".

Sad day for the specialty regardless of how it plays out. I feel terrible for his wife and newborn child, but I hope he goes to jail if the facts are determined to be as they appear now and he is found guilty. The public deserves to know that they can have confidence that the justice and medical systems will deal with these things the right way, swiftly and harshly, and that notoriety and money will not shield him from the consequences.

Did he admit to giving an extra dose of morphine? Is that in one of the recent articles? (I just skimmed them, but I'm curious.)

Did he admit to giving an extra dose of morphine? Is that in one of the recent articles? (I just skimmed them, but I'm curious.)

Yeah. From the NYTimes article:

"He also told the detective, who interviewed him in his Montclair, N.J., home on Jan. 12, that he had given the patient a second dose of morphine. He attributed that decision to “some confusion amongst the nurses regarding the morphine.”"

I'm the guy who posted that long (sorry) post a while back about my interactions with David when he was a young attending and I was the chief resident in surgery. None of this really surprises me at all.

Newman was weird. I know most of you guys know him from points later in his career and have other opinions, but of all the hundreds of physician colleagues from various specialties I've interacted with over the years he stood out, because of my story and because of others. We all thought he was off, and any surgical attending or resident who was at my institution at that time would have told you there was something wrong with David.

We were right.

Man... I didn't jump into this thread b/c everything was Just he said, she said.

I thought the DNA will either prove him right or wrong.

DNA is damning. Now he admits he did the deed in the bathroom and transferred b/c he didn't wash his hands.

Come ON. He could do better than this. We all know ER docs barely touch the patients. And if I have to touch them around their face, I am gloving up. What is he did the back door on her and found DNA there. Did he do a rectal and not glove up? geezzzz

Come ON. He gave her an extra dose of meds that wasn't ordered? I don't think I have pushed drugs on pts for 15 yrs. I wouldn't even know how to do it with the needleless systems now adays.

But if OJ can get away with his DNA all over the crime scene. Dripping DNA in his Car. Dripping DNA in his driveway and still be found innocent, then I guess this Dude has a chance.

I don't even care if people think he was a nice guy or weird. You will find in life that alot of Nice appearing people are just fronts to their oddities.

I mean, we all have skeleton's in the closet and ashamed of. But Geeezzzzz, just go hire a hooker/go to Vegas. Dress them up as patients and do whatever you want.

Reactions: 3 users
If you re-read pages 1/2 of this thread, and then now, there's definitely a stark contrast. Very unfortunate. I watched a couple of his youtube videos and the guy just seemed like such a great person. Its hard to believe, really. Hope he enjoys his time in prison.

How can anyone judge a person to be great using a Youtube video is beyond me. Come on......

There are wack jobs in every field of medicine. There was an OB gyn at Hopkins using a hidden camera during his pelvics on 100s of women. There was another doc I recall who placed 1000s of cardiac stents that weren't needed. If anything, I think the fact that he is guilty of this serves the field of EM better so than if he were innocent. Him being guilty just means a wack job was in a position of power. If he were innocent, it would make me look at every patient I saw in a different manner wondering which patient was going to bring false accusations against me.

Uhhh, what? Guess you can't judge Barack Obama or Bill Gates to be a great person either since you haven't met them in real life either. I said he "seemed" like a great person based on the impression he made in the video. Get over yourself

Seeing someone through media without actually meeting them for years is a big difference than watching a few youtube videos of them. Just saying.

I'm the guy who posted that long (sorry) post a while back about my interactions with David when he was a young attending and I was the chief resident in surgery. None of this really surprises me at all.

Newman was weird. I know most of you guys know him from points later in his career and have other opinions, but of all the hundreds of physician colleagues from various specialties I've interacted with over the years he stood out, because of my story and because of others. We all thought he was off, and any surgical attending or resident who was at my institution at that time would have told you there was something wrong with David.

We were right.

I have never met Dr Newman, but I know quite a few people who have who didn't think there was anything off about him. I am not dismissing your experience out of hand, but it seems that by most accounts he seemed like a normal guy and was well liked. I'll take your word for it that there are a bunch of former surgical residents that have a negative opinion of him, but it seems that (until recently) there were a lot more people that seemed to like him. I am sure that at least some of the people I've interacted with over the years in the hospital would have less than a stellar opinion of me or have some anecdote to share that shows some unflattering aspect of my personality. I am sure that the same applies to just about everyone. Were there any people you've interacted with in the ED that would say something negative about your personality? Judging from your story it seems there may be. I know there are at least a couple of residents that I think are axis II something or other. I would still be shocked and incredulous if I heard something like that about them.

ps. get a better lawyer

We don't know what legal advice he got. Maybe his lawyer was beginning him to plead guilty and Dr Newman decided to fight it because he is in denial about his chances. Maybe there is a strategic reason like the lawyer believes there may be a better deal to be made. Or maybe there is something the defense knows that we don't know, such as a way to call into question the validity of the DNA evidence:

Hundreds of rape cases the office examined were already under review due to potentially botched testing by lab tech Serrita Mitchell, 55, who resigned but later denied wrongdoing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...gns-medical-examiner-office-article-1.1345383

There might be an element of narcissism here. The fame from being a well known podcast Doctor might make you feel you are above the law. But this might be me playing dr Phil.

Typed from iPhone

There might be an element of narcissism here. The fame from being a well known podcast Doctor might make you feel you are above the law. But this might be me playing dr Phil.

Typed from iPhone
I'd leave the psychology to the experts. I doubt it was his podcast fame that led him to conclude that it was ok to sexually assault patients. Perhaps it was a compulsion he had been battling chronically and he started giving in to it and because of lack of consequences his behavior started escalating. It doesn't really matter. The issue is that there is no explanation that would make his behavior acceptable nor that would matter to the victim(s). Even masturbating on shift puts you several standard deviations away from ok. It should be safe to assume that your doctor won't coat your face with sperm after injecting you with narcotics during your stay in the ED. Criminal punishment is up to the court but as a specialty I think it is clear that we can't and won't tolerate this behavior from one of our colleagues.

Would also agree with Angry Birds that reading the article was a perfectly appropriate time to change from a presumption of innocence (in a court of public opinion) to condemnation.

He had his voice on a lot of the EM CME world. I think it's probably appropriate to wait for a verdict but I would be somewhat disappointed if there's no acknowledgement of this issue on those programs.

He's saying he didn't wash his hands after doing the deed in the bathroom? He should be put in jail just for THAT level of grossness.

Reactions: 4 users
He's saying he didn't wash his hands after doing the deed in the bathroom? He should be put in jail just for THAT level of grossness.
Who has time on shift? Just urinating in a timely fashion can be difficult.

Just can't relate to that level of craziness, hope that I never do.

I wonder if they are going to do a forensic review of his years-to-date clinical work? He is a veteran, something from there? Family falling apart? Over the last thirty years I've seen many doctors lose it for any number of reasons: drug issues, alcoholism, divorce, overwhelmed by some specific life catastrophe. A few murders in there and several suicides... But very rarely do we see some kind of office sexual attack, too many others involved, nurses, especially when treating women. Were his acts premeditated to a point of psychosis, or what?

Seems like he's decided to lie his way out, create doubt on motives. Hmmm... Going to be a while before the anger and feelings of betrayal fade.

Last edited:
Screw this guy.
We've been duped.
Hippocrates Shadow (by David Newman) was the book I bought for my residents to read.
SMARTEM was a brilliant analysis of the issues that matter when we are taking care of our patients.
Whatever personal baggage he was carrying with him, at least do us the favor to not embarrass our profession.
My heart goes out to his wife and kids. His kids have no part of this, his wife seems to be a strong patient advocate who deserves to be heard assuming she had no knowledge of this.
Really sad to read all of this. When it comes to EM, David was a voice we needed to hear.
I never thought the guy was perfect, I did think he was the kind of guy who would go to the mat doing what was right for the patient...
I hope Dr. Shreves lands on her feet.
I hope Dr. Newman enjoys his time in prison.

ps. get a better lawyer
pss. Screw you David Newman

This Brings up an interesting conundrum--are his writings on EM any less substantial or not true, just b/c he turns out to be a scum-bag felon? Is NNT less true, or some of his points on a dogma-induced medical system less valid? Same could be said for some great artists--Wagner, Carvaggio, Roman Polanski.

I love Woody Allen's movies--they're brilliant, but what he did is reprehensible and he should be in jail. That still doesn't make Manhattan or Midnight in Paris less brilliant movies.

In the end (and I'm pre-judging, but come on, his best defense is he forgot to wash hands after masterbating during shift, then touched a shoulder pain patient's face and got seamen in her eye, this after a giving a non-documented second dose of morphine) it looks like Newman had some psychopathic, narcissistic tendencies. I'm sure he thought he'd get away with it, b/c he often was the smartest guy in the room.

But that doesn't make his previous observations and writings less true than they were when written. I'd like to think they have their own space and truth, outside if this sad, grotesque person we see accused today.

With that said, can we get someone else (normal) to pick up the torch and fight for EM--Hoffman and Henry are getting too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.