David vs Golliath: Need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Trainer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
New to the community. Applying to PT school has been a goal of mine for the past 5 years, and I finally did it.

My status so far is I've been accepted to 2 schools, and am having trouble making a decision:

I got into both Northwestern and University of Rhode Island. At first, I was way more attracted to Northwestern because of rankings and what seemed to be prestigious. However, I'm getting concerned:

Northwestern is about ~$38,000 per year, where as URI is only ~$28,000. 30k is a large difference in price for the programs. URI isn't ranked nearly as high as Northwestern, but its a good school and in the end i'm pretty sure ill be making the same exact amount once i get my DPT. In addition, i'm not crazy attracted to life as a researcher, which it seems like NU is geared towards.

It might just be my ego getting in the way, and the reaction of others when I tell them I got into Northwestern haha.. Any advice? It doesn't help that i only get 2 weeks to make up my mind for a program >.<

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to URI. If you end up borrowing an additional $30,000 at 7.9% interest and repaid it on a standard ten year plan, you'd spend an additional $43,000 of your hard-earned money just so you could have a diploma that none of your patients will ever see or care about from a school with a higher US News "ranking".

Use the search feature before you ask a question next time too. :)

Congratulations on your acceptances after a 5 year long trek!

FWIW: I've seen PT students and graduates regret going to a more expensive school, but I've never seen anyone regret going to a less prestigious school. The financial difference described is on par with the sacrifice of doing a residency (which some people find to be a truly worthwhile experience). Just something to keep in mind.

Hope you enjoy two weeks of having schools fight over you after having fought for schools for so long.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the cheapest reasonable option. I was accepted to some of the best schools in the country, but chose the cheapest school that made people say "wtf?". I am 101% happy about my decision.

Either way, congratulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats and go cheap

Reactions: 1 user