Day in life of obgyn resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M&M

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could please talk about a typical day of an obgyn resident? Also, can you talk a little bit about how much surgery a obgyn does? Would the surgeries be very difficult?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on several things. such as your level of training, the rotation etc. the amount of surgery also depends on the rotation. some rotations are more surgical than others and pgy 4s operate more than pgy1. so again it all depends....

depends on your program. at mine, it was:
arrive by 6am to round, then hit the OR (on gyn or gyn subspecialties) or L&D (on OB) by 7am and operate (open/robotic/laparoscopic cases, waiting for ER hits/consults, or managing in house patients) or manage laboring patients (C/S, deliveries, triage). At least one day per week you would have clinic instead. Your amount of call varies depending on your PGY level. First years at my program are now on a night float system (never do a 24hr), as are the second years (who occ do a 24hr). Third years and 4 years do sporadic 24 hr calls. You are done by 6pm (latest shift is L&D) unless you are on call.

Well, you start by doing pelvic exams on BMI's around 40 and then finish in the wee hours of the night waiting for a primip to labor down. ;)