DBS, VNS - only done by neurosurgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fundersam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are treatments like DBS and VNS only done by neurosurgeons or can a neurointerventionist also do it?

How are psychiatrists involved in these treatments? Is the research on this done by psychiatrists?

I vaguely remember reading about a psychiatrist who could do DBS, does this mean that he also completed a residency in neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Are treatments like DBS and VNS only done by neurosurgeons or can a neurointerventionist also do it?

How are psychiatrists involved in these treatments? Is the research on this done by psychiatrists?

I vaguely remember reading about a psychiatrist who could do DBS, does this mean that he also completed a residency in neurosurgery?

My understanding is that DBS is the perview of neurosurgery. However, both neurosurgeons and ENT implant VNS.

Psychiatrists determine when such treatments are indicated and treat the patient clinically post-implantation.

From my understanding, VNS is largely ineffective for mood disorders, whereas there is more promise in DBS.

Last edited:
I know that in neurology, when a patient is getting DBS implanted the neurologist goes into the OR to direct placement while neurosurgery is responsible for getting access to the brain and closing up after in a collaboration. Neurointerventionalists do things via vascular access, and the precision one needs for placement really can't be obtained, at least for now.

I've only seen 2 people on VNS for purely psych issues, both refractory bipolar d/o. I can see the logic since AEDs are the first line therapy for bipolar d/o and VNS is also a good epilepsy control, but I'm not super familiar with the literature around it.

I know that in neurology, when a patient is getting DBS implanted the neurologist goes into the OR to direct placement while neurosurgery is responsible for getting access to the brain and closing up after in a collaboration.
This jibes with the cases I've read about. It's very interesting stuff. There are some interventional psychiatry-specific clinics at some of the bigger academic programs. I know Stanford has one (Karl Deisseroth?).
Psychiatrists are involved in following the patient and treating their psych issues, but dear god you don't want a shrink with a scalpel...