DCFS for kids not getting treatment @ home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously a nuanced question but at what point does DCFS need to be notified/involved for a young kid who is frequently showing up with moderate-severe asthma exacerbations with clear history of parents not following up with outpatient M.D. and not picking up/administering their meds?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not terribly nuanced; you have no idea what's going on at home, and if you think there's a component of abuse/neglect, you're a mandated reporter.

DCFS will investigate & make a determination. No blowback on you... and may be the right thing to do.

Not giving their kids asthma meds isn't necessarily abuse or neglect. Maybe they can't afford them.
The question here is if there is evidence of other signs/symptoms suggestive of abuse/neglect. If so, then it is appropriate to contact. Then again, when I was a kid, I'm sure my folks should have had DCFS contacted but clearly that was never done and I still ended up okay. I think the threshold has become real low these days.

Check with the outpatient pcp? It seems like it's a good idea based on what you said to let dcfs sort it out. Maybe it's as simple as they can't afford it and the worker can help them with resources...