dday soon, would appreciate some heart disease help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmisty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with heart disease and the concepts in general. I'd really appreciate any insight into any of the questions below: (maybe this will be a good review for you too! :D)

1)What's the deal with rheumatic disease? I understand it's an autoimmune reaction, but does it happen your entire life? Or is there valvular damage as a kid that's just not noticed until you get older?

2) Why, in bacterial endocarditis, do things just deposit on the valves? Is there some sort of factor there that draws bacteria there?

3) What the hell is myxomatous degeneration and when does it occur and what does it do? I can't understand this? Apparently it's associated with calcific deposits?

Thanks ya'll. :(

Members don't see this ad.

1. You'll have anti-M protein IgG your entire life and if you repeatedly have Group A strep exposure, IgG will go up each time, causing collateral damage to the heart in the meanwhile. With enough of these battles, rheumatic disease can develop.

2. I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be that since heart valves do a poor job at repairing themselves, little nicks and crevices can form which can be excellent homes for bacteria.

3. Myxomatous degeneration is distortion and weakening of connecting tissue and appears to be mucoid or something (what that means, your guess is as good as mine). Classically, the term refers to mitral valve prolapse, and one should expect an accumulation of dermatan sulfate with a decrease in elastin and fibrillar collagen in the valve leaflets.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Rheumatic heart disease inflammation happens the first and then every next time you get exposed to the antigens that cross react with your own. Sometimes the damage is not noticed till you get older.

2. The heart valves undergo a lot of shear stress due to the flow of blood across them. This creates damaged areas which are suitable for bacteria to set up shop in.

3. Myxomatous degeneration (myxo = mucous, matous = adjective form) of the valve is degeneration of the valve associated with deposition of dermatan sulphate which one of the components of the valve tissue and decrease of elastin and collagen, leading to defective function. The mitral valve is usually at risk.

Edit: See above.

Reactions: 1 user