DDS Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science courses I've taken so far:

Gen Chem 1: B (Lecture)
A Lab
Gen Chem 2: B+ Lec
B- Lab
Bio 1: NC (first semester freshman)
Bio 2: W First time
(IM DOING BAD THE SECOND TIME. WHAT DO I DO? I KNOW IT LOOKS BAD IF I TAKE IT A THIRD TIME. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? MY PROFESSOR DOESN'T CURVE. DO I:
a)TRY TO PULL OF A C
b)TAKE IT A THIRD TIME
c)GO FOR A MASTERS.

Heres the grading breakdown:
3 exams 20% each= 60%
Lab= 40%

First Exam: 55.4
Second Exam: 47.7

Lab breakdown:
a) Five instructor-generated quizzes account for 10% of your total grade.
b) 5% of your grade will be based on your instructor’s evaluation of your laboratory manual. (A missed and unfulfilled lab will cost 1% of your participation grade.)
c) 5% of your grade is based on your promptness, performance, cooperation and contribution to the laboratory sessions.
d) 10% is based on four oral dissection quizzes as described by your instructor.
e) The final practical exam will be given at the same time as the final lecture exam and will count for 10%

Lab grades so far:
100 Quiz 1
95 Quiz 2
100 Quiz 3
100 Quiz 4
Quiz #5 didnt take it yet

dissection quizzes:
2/20
18/20
13/20
Quiz #4 i havet taken yet
I'm doing well on lab notebook checks.

MY QUESTION IS :
I TAKE IT A THIRD TIME. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? MY PROFESSOR DOESN'T CURVE. DO I:
a)TRY TO PULL OF A C
b)TAKE IT A THIRD TIME
c)GO FOR A MASTERS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a)DO I TRY TO PULL OF A C WHICH IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE AT THIS POINT
B) DO I TAKE IT A THIRD TIME
C) DO I GO FOR A MASTERS

@Scumbag_Steve

Members don't see this ad :)
Why so much trouble with bio 2? Those exams are killing you. If you're studying effectively, you should at least be able to pull off a C, even without a curve.

If you can't do well in bio 2, you're going to have a hard time in your upper level bio courses. I suggest meeting with your school's tutoring center to see if you can get help and identify what is going wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the averages on the exams? If you just aren't studying enough I would try and retake (possibly with an easier professor) and get an A. If you're studying hard and taking the best bio professor I would try and get a C and maybe figure out a different track (postbac or something less competitive than dental).

@workofshart First exam avg was a 70. Second exam a 64. Thing is this is the second time I'm taking this course.

@workofshart First exam avg was a 70. Second exam a 64. Thing is this is the second time I'm taking this course.

Hmm.. is there another reason why you're struggling with grades? Have you tried figuring out a good study method?
If you are actually trying your best, then rigors of dental school might be a bit too much.

If you have some other reason, then it may be best to tackle that first and set aside a reasonable amount of time to dedicate towards school.

I say this because one of my friends tried really hard but wasn't able to get good grades for some reason.
And my friend was raising kids and working at the same time. It was just too much to do well in school.

Reactions: 1 user