DDS Applicants now live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Beta is now live at: http://dds.studentdoctor.net :D

Please use your SDN forum login on the DDS Applicants site.

Although still in beta while we work-out any remaining bugs, all information will be retained when it goes into final production. :)

Please send me a PM if you encounter any bugs!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice! Looking forward to submitting in June and filling everything out. I noticed there's no spot for BCP GPA, is that not really considered as much as the sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Looking forward to submitting in June and filling everything out. I noticed there's no spot for BCP GPA, is that not really considered as much as the sGPA?

I believe in adcom's eyes BCP > sGPA > cGPA, but since DDSapplicants is based off MDapplicants, which generally only considers sGPA or BCPM, BCP wasn't included in this version of the site. Personally I don't think it's as big of a difference as it's made out to be.

AMCAS (on the user's profile page) should instead be AADSAS.

Thanks for finding these errors! The programmers are working to fix them! :)

When you press "Add School" in the section for "Schools Applied To", the website defaults the bullet point to "DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD". Could you make it default to regular "DDS/DMD" instead?

Thank you!

You guys should try to get all the data from the past years from Predents.com. That would be really helpful for future applicants. But good job on doing this! Now there is this site and predentals.com for applicants to use.

This is great, Lee!

One request: Could "UNLV School of Dentistry" be renamed to "University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine"?

Thank you!

Too tired for words so I give you these fancy emoticons :banana: :claps: :bow:

Basically... Thank you!!! :biglove:

This is great, Lee!

One request: Could "UNLV School of Dentistry" be renamed to "University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine"?

Thank you!
Dude the First Avenger was Captain America... Why the Thor avatar?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah. There's also no Reading Comprehension (RC) score. Thanks again!

There's a field for RC when creating a profile, but it doesn't appear when viewing an applicant's page.

Also, the search function seems to only bring up test profiles, and not those who've recently made profiles.

Nice work on this, guys! I'm sure this will be a powerful tool when application time comes around.

I reported the RC and misnamed DAT sections while editing to Lee, he is aware of those now.

University of Utah isn't on your list of schools. :)

Looks good! Are AA and TS scores being worked on? Looks like you can search for them but can't actually report them.

Looks good! Are AA and TS scores being worked on? Looks like you can search for them but can't actually report them.

You need to be able to enter them on the Update Applications screen, right? I've attached a screenshot.

Please let me know if I have this correct so I can make sure it gets implemented properly.

Attachments

• UpdateApps.jpg
    UpdateApps.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 92
You need to be able to enter them on the Update Applications screen, right? I've attached a screenshot.

Please let me know if I have this correct so I can make sure it gets implemented properly.

Correct, there is no field in which to enter AA or TS. Conversely, there is a field for RC, but it doesn't show up when viewing someone's profile.

This is what is shown on the AADSAS application.

The different subjects on the DAT are (1) Biology, (2) Inorganic Chemistry, (3) Organic Chemistry, (4) Reading Comprehension, (5) Quantitative Reasoning, and (6) Perceptual Ability Test.

Summary scores are (1) AA - Academic Average, (2) TS - Total Science, and (3) PAT - Perceptual Ability Test.

The GPAs are (1) BCP, (2) Science, (3) Non-Science, and (4) Total.

The colloquial acronyms are Bio, GC, OC, QR, RC, PAT, TS, and AA.
24oaywk.jpg

I think the undergraduate area of study needs to be expanded...It doesn't even have chemistry on it.

Also, the search engine or select a school is not registering that people put that they have been accepted to it.

- If the date is entered incorrectly, it clears the school field and have to start over.
- Very nitpicky, but it should be University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine

I tried adding my interview and acceptance information for Temple but it is not showing up on the schools data on the site.

Hi, Lee
I have a personal feeling that this website is against DMD applicants. The number of DDS/DMD now is almost 50/50. Just my thought.

Hi, Lee
I have a personal feeling that this website is against DMD applicants. The number of DDS/DMD now is almost 50/50. Just my thought.

As Hawkteeth said, it's the exact same degree. How is the website against you? Haha

I know it is the same. But the name of this website should be more generalized, like dental applicants or dds/dmd applicants. This title makes me feel like a dds is more important. It should not be controversial and at least should not cause any confusion to Pre-dent. Dont take it personally, just my thought.

MD Applicants has been that way for a long time, and they have both MD and DO schools on there. The MD/DO debate is pretty fierce even though their degrees are essentially the same as well. The name of their site was never changed to something like Medical Applicants for the DOs. Now compare that to DDS/DMD where the degrees are literally the same thing. They could have just as easily called it DMD Applicants. If it were called DMD Applicants would you still want it to be called DDS/DMD Applicants? It's just a nomenclature thing in my book, not a big deal. :) :thumbup:

MD Applicants has been that way for a long time, and they have both MD and DO schools on there. The MD/DO debate is pretty fierce even though their degrees are essentially the same as well. The name of their site was never changed to something like Medical Applicants for the DOs. Now compare that to DDS/DMD where the degrees are literally the same thing. They could have just as easily called it DMD Applicants. If it were called DMD Applicants would you still want it to be called DDS/DMD Applicants? It's just a nomenclature thing in my book, not a big deal. :) :thumbup:

U r really into this topic. Let me guess u r a DDS. Even the name of dental forum on sdn name "DDS and DMD Student discussion forum". So why make it toward one side now. Please dont target MD or DO, these r slightly different fields, and this is total different story than DMD/DDS which is exactly the same. My point is please dont make this more controversial as this title has potential to generate more debate in the future.

U r really into this topic. Let me guess u r a DDS. Even the name of dental forum on sdn name "DDS and DMD Student discussion forum". So why make it toward one side now. Please dont target MD or DO, these r slightly different fields, and this is total different story than DMD/DDS which is exactly the same. My point is please dont make this more controversial as this title has potential to generate more debate in the future.

Not a big deal. I don't feel like typing another three letters on the url anyways. Less than a handful of people even care. Usually they're of the superficial type. :p If they're exactly the same thing, you should care whether one or both are used.

U r really into this topic.

U r rly sensitive.

But in all seriousness. I'm not attacking you, and I don't consider myself "into" this topic. Sorry if it sounded that way. It really doesn't matter either way to me, simply because the three letters mean exactly the same thing. We as dental professionals should recognize that, and no one needs to feel singled out because, again, every dental degree is exactly the same.

DDSapplicants = DMDapplicants = DDS/DMDapplicants = DentalApplicants = DentistryApplicants. I'm fine with any of these names. :thumbup:

I wasn't meant to attack you, NDPitch. I apologize too if you feel so. Yes, I am sensitive because when I was a Predent, and the widely used title of DDS made me confused once. It takes a little bit of research for any Predent to know that DMD and DDS are the same. I will not post anymore abt this topic here, my initial post just for admin to think abt it.
Ah, for Lee, again, UPenn Dental school should be University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine ( not School of Dentistry).

I wasn't meant to attack you, NDPitch. I apologize too if you feel so. Yes, I am sensitive because when I was a Predent, and the widely used title of DDS made me confused once. It takes a little bit of research for any Predent to know that DMD and DDS are the same. I will not post anymore abt this topic here, my initial post just for admin to think abt it.
Ah, for Lee, again, UPenn Dental school should be University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine ( not School of Dentistry).

Sorry, but I think you may have been the only one confused by this. And I wouldn't call googling "DMD vs DDS" research, it takes .5 seconds.

Sorry, but I think you may have been the only one confused by this. And I wouldn't call googling "DMD vs DDS" research, it takes .5 seconds.

Your way of saying doesn't sound like you are an educated one!!! Hawkteeth. Your words are attacking and humiliating. My post just my opinion, this is a forum to share and to talk, not to judge. Hopefully, you can learn how to talk like a Doctor by the time ppl call you by that title.

Last edited:
Your way of saying doesn't sound like you are an educated one!!! Hawkteeth. Your words are attacking and humiliating. My post just my opinion, this is a forum to share and to talk, not to judge. Hopefully, you can learn how to talk like a Doctor by the time ppl call you by that title.

I wasn't trying to attack or humiliate you, it is just my opinion that one should not be offended when someone makes a website to help people and they don't name it the way you want. Also, your vocabulary and spelling isn't all that doctorly either.

A number of the items raised have been addressed/fixed:

AMCAS (on the user's profile page) should instead be AADSAS.

When you press "Add School" in the section for "Schools Applied To", the website defaults the bullet point to "DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD". Could you make it default to regular "DDS/DMD" instead?

Could "UNLV School of Dentistry" be renamed to "University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine"?

Also, the search engine or select a school is not registering that people put that they have been accepted to it.

On the search engine - it doesn't update immediately currently. It's a batch process that requires a manual kickoff (MD Applicants worked the same way). I will be working with the programmers to get this to update automatically.

The other items are in progress. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to enter their information.

- If the date is entered incorrectly, it clears the school field and have to start over.

Is this on the Update Demographics page? They fixed another issue with the date on this page and I think it might have addressed this issue.

- Very nitpicky, but it should be University of Colorado Denver School of Dental Medicine

It's been submitted.

I guess if we're on the topic of nit-picky items and you are indeed fixing them, the University at Buffalo School of Dentistry should be University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine. There's been a few of these noticed, I wonder if there's some others out there that are School of Dental Medicine, and not School of Dentistry.

Also, if you enter a wrong date on app submission, the error message says...

"You may not enter an AMCAS submission date that is in the future."

It should say AADSAS, not AMCAS.

Last edited:
Will there be an option to link DDSapps to our SDN profile like PreDents/MDapps does?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. But, when I go to the edit applications section, expand a school, make a change, and click Save, it throws an error that says "You must select a School."