DEA license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys;

Quick question. How long does it take to get a DEA license?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to have a state-level controlled substance registration first. That might take some time, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only 3-4 days in Texas. The DPS took about 2 months.

Took 6 weeks to get Illinois state license after moving there with a Wisconsin state one which I got in residency.

You need to have a state-level controlled substance registration first. That might take some time, too.

Yeah, but (I think) only about half of the states have a state-level registration. Others, your medical license includes the prescribing.

Maybe I'm all wet, though - I needed one in SC and HI, but not in PA. I don't think NY has one. Getting one in HI was easy-peasy (and, ironically and as a racist, Japanezy, as that group is over-represented in HI) and quick (less than 5 business days).

(And, just to over-explain, "Japanezy" is just the old school rhyme (which you heard in "The Shawshank Redemption"), whereas "lemon squeezy" is the newer, PC rhyme.)

Just an update. Applied for the DEA lic on Saturday, received in the mail this Friday. Quick!

I got mine in like 3 business days. Crazy fast

Any new (in 2015) experiences on how long it took to get your DEA? I applied last week and I'm anxiously awaiting. this is such a long/dreadful process!

DEA in Florida took about 3 days. They just require your medical license first.

On a related note, I'm moving to a different state; do I have to do anything with my DEA?

You need a new dea number if you move to a new state. Each dea number is state specific and you are in violation of federal law if you prescribe or dispenser or even administer controlled substances without the proper state dea number.
On a related note, I'm moving to a different state; do I have to do anything with my DEA?

You need a new dea number if you move to a new state. Each dea number is state specific and you are in violation of federal law if you prescribe or dispenser or even administer controlled substances without the proper state dea number.
What if you work in multiple states?

Multiple numbers? A fee for each one?

What if you work in multiple states?

Multiple numbers? A fee for each one?
Yes. A separate number and fee for each state you work in. Otherwise it's a federal felony.

Wait a second, I think we may be able to just modify our current DEA license if moving.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1301/1301_51.htm

Am I misinterpreting?

Or what about Point # 3 here?
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/locum_tenens.htm

Though it does say that it treats each change as a new application.

Correct, you just modify the DEA license by submitting change of address to them. I am in process of changing jobs and that is all that is done.

Red