DEA number while CA ML is pending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can apply for my DEA number while my CA medical license is pending? Or do i have to absolutley have the latter, in order to even apply for the DEA?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if I can apply for my DEA number while my CA medical license is pending? Or do i have to absolutley have the latter, in order to even apply for the DEA?

Posted using SDN Mobile

You have to have a controlled substance license before you can apply for a DEA, as that is linked to your controlled substances license. That is only if you want your own DEA though, if you are still in training you can use your programs institutional DEA.

You have to have a controlled substance license before you can apply for a DEA, as that is linked to your controlled substances license. That is only if you want your own DEA though, if you are still in training you can use your programs institutional DEA.
Ok thanks (I'm doing a moonlighting gig that might require me to have my own DEA). Forgive my ignorance, but who grants the controlled substance license, is this another organization? I thought in applying for a DEA number, you're in fact applying for a controlled subst license, not true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks (I'm doing a moonlighting gig that might require me to have my own DEA). Forgive my ignorance, but who grants the controlled substance license, is this another organization? I thought in applying for a DEA number, you're in fact applying for a controlled subst license, not true?

Atleast in my state, you need a separate pharmacy license/controlled substances license prior to applying for a DEA. This is given by the state, just as your medical license is.

So to moonlight, you need 3 licenses: Your independent medical license, independent controlled substances license, and your own DEA number.

Atleast in my state, you need a separate pharmacy license/controlled substances license prior to applying for a DEA. This is given by the state, just as your medical license is.

So to moonlight, you need 3 licenses: Your independent medical license, independent controlled substances license, and your own DEA number.
that's state dependent…i know nj and ma have the separate controlled substance license thing (and mass at least you have to get the DEA 1st, then the controlled substance license)…as if their licenses weren't expensive enough….

Great thanks. Does anyone know if this is the case for California?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Posted using SDN Mobile

You need a state medical license before the DEA will give you a number.

Not every state has their own controlled substances license. Those that do, the DEA will require to have your state cert FIRST before giving you a DEA number.

Great thanks. Does anyone know if this is the case for California?

Posted using SDN Mobile

A quick google (come on guys) quickly tells you California does not have its own controlled substance. Get your license, apply for your DEA.

It costs $700 and some change. Just FYI.

A quick google (come on guys) quickly tells you California does not have its own controlled substance. Get your license, apply for your DEA.

It costs $700 and some change. Just FYI.
Thanks. I was reading the same on the DEA website. One more question that i have (that doesnt seem to be on the website): once you apply for the DEA number, how long does it take to actually get it? Is it on the order of weeks or months?

Thanks. I was reading the same on the DEA website. One more question that i have (that doesnt seem to be on the website): once you apply for the DEA number, how long does it take to actually get it? Is it on the order of weeks or months?

It's fast, provided you have no red flags. I'd estimate a few weeks turn around.