"Deadline" For Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magictouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question -- for those of us that are submitting applications the day they begin and want our applications to be in and "complete" for the first batch schools receive, by what day would recommendation letters need to be in?

Members don't see this ad.

Simple question -- for those of us that are submitting applications the day they begin and want our applications to be in and "complete" for the first batch schools receive, by what day would recommendation letters need to be in?
The day you submit your secondary applications. So mid-late July.

Thank you Mehc! By the way, you're applying this cycle right? I remember following your MCAT progress while I was studying this summer.

I thought secondarys start coming in early July though? Does anyone know what day "officially" med schools can start seeing our applications?

Members don't see this ad :)
So its on the safe side to not even list any of the writers when submitting for verification? That way in case something changes or the teacher just keeps procrastinating schools don't wonder why you don't have a letter for them from that professor.

Thank you Mehc! By the way, you're applying this cycle right? I remember following your MCAT progress while I was studying this summer.

I thought secondarys start coming in early July though? Does anyone know what day "officially" med schools can start seeing our applications?
They can start seeing your app on July 1.
Give them some time for processing, and you'll be getting non-screened secondaries in early-mid July.
Give yourself some time to complete those, and you'll be turning in your secondaries in mid-late July.
LORs should be in by the time you return your secondaries.

And yup, I'm applying this cycle! I assume you are as well? Good luck...see you on the other side (or the interview trail!) :xf:

By agreement with AMCAS, some schools that use non-screened secondaries or based on a predetermined with a set MCAT/GPA formula may start sending them out as soon as you submit AMCAS with that school listed. They do this as many schools have turned to AMCAS for initial processing, are using software tool from AMCAS, or other systems that interface with AMCAS. And no, I dont have a list of these and am doubtful I can get one anytime soon
Aye - but giving yourself a week or 2 to turn around these, you're still looking at mid-July submission. I guess you could have them prewritten and turn them in the first week, though.

They can start seeing your app on July 1.
Give them some time for processing, and you'll be getting non-screened secondaries in early-mid July.
Give yourself some time to complete those, and you'll be turning in your secondaries in mid-late July.
LORs should be in by the time you return your secondaries.

And yup, I'm applying this cycle! I assume you are as well? Good luck...see you on the other side (or the interview trail!) :xf:
Yeah! I'm applying this cycle, too! Good luck to you!

In some ways, it is safer as the adcom keeps waiting for the letter and your file isnt complete and thus doesnt get reviewed.

We can avoid this by requesting letters through AMCAS but not assigning them to a medical school, right?