Dealing with non-derm attendings regarding speciality interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon3338

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a pretty common dilemma for third-year medical students, and I've read responses on other sections of site, but I wanted to discuss it in the context of a brand new M3 who wants to do derm. If there is a previous thread on this, please redirect me.

Basically, has anyone had any bad experiences telling attendings/residents that you are working with on M3 rotations that you want to go into derm? So far in my preclinical experience, certain people that I have worked with have seem slightly displeased that I want to do derm. I am fine with that reaction and it is the minority, but I do not want it to affect my evaluations in third year.

I know there is a range of approaches from 'screw them, be honest' to 'I'm interested in a few things including this field as well as derm' to 'don't mention derm at all.' Maybe this is an overthinking med student question, but I would appreciate any advice or experience! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mention derm and when you hear some badmouthing of derm, just smile (those are sad people, whom i personally pity).

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is a pretty common dilemma for third-year medical students, and I've read responses on other sections of site, but I wanted to discuss it in the context of a brand new M3 who wants to do derm. If there is a previous thread on this, please redirect me.

Basically, has anyone had any bad experiences telling attendings/residents that you are working with on M3 rotations that you want to go into derm? So far in my preclinical experience, certain people that I have worked with have seem slightly displeased that I want to do derm. I am fine with that reaction and it is the minority, but I do not want it to affect my evaluations in third year.

I know there is a range of approaches from 'screw them, be honest' to 'I'm interested in a few things including this field as well as derm' to 'don't mention derm at all.' Maybe this is an overthinking med student question, but I would appreciate any advice or experience! Thanks!

I always played the "undecided" card. Though, to be honest, I really was undecided so it wasn't as if I was misleading or anything. I was personally deciding between internal medicine/hem-onc and derm, and I'd usually say something along the lines of "internal medicine, something related to oncology". Things I would advise NOT doing are include trying to overstate interest in a specialty you aren't interested in (i.e. on your vascular surgery case, don't tell them you want to be a vascular surgeon when you don't want to). Most attendings can see through this and/or if even they don't.... may end up holding to a higher standard than say, that girl who is going into primary pediatrics. They've been in medical school before and realize you aren't going to like everything.

As far letting people know you're thinking about dermatology....I'd be somewhat careful during third year. I was completely "out" about derm once I had applied through ERAS and really made that final decision. But before then, I think it can cloud people's judgement of you as a student. Let's face it...Derm has a bad image/rap in the medical professional community. I found this less so among primary care providers (internal med/pediatrics/family med)...but that's mostly because they work with dermatologists a lot more through a referral bias and actually see the great things they can do for their patients. A lot of it is *clearly* unfounded, but most doctors think of dermatologists as money-hungry physicians interested only in treating acne and Botox. It's amazing has lay stereotypes pervade even the medical community itself, though it's likely just lack of exposure during medical school and other parts of training. I think there is a lot of talk about this in the derm community recently, even a discussion about it at an AAD presentation in prior years. It is paramount that as a profession we do a better job of building an image for derm that is more representative of what we actually do. But, until then, I'd be careful about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always played the "undecided" card.

It is paramount that as a profession we do a better job of building an image for derm that is more representative of what we actually do. But, until then, I'd be careful about this.

this. i was only pressed for an answer a few times and i said 'medicine or derm but derm is so competitive so im not sure yet.' this is a good policy regardless of speciality.

this. i was only pressed for an answer a few times and i said 'medicine or derm but derm is so competitive so im not sure yet.' this is a good policy regardless of speciality.
I wouldn't say this on medicine ;)

As everyone else has already mentioned, I would keep that to yourself. Whether it's due to jealousy or ignorance, an interest in dermatology usually isn't well-received outside of the dermatology department. If it isn't going to help with your evaluations as a 3rd year, might as well keep it to yourself.

Force your adversary (stupid stinky disgruntled attending) into stunned silence with one simple phrase:

"Well, I've been thinking a lot about buttholes lately."

Conversation over, you win!

Force your adversary (stupid stinky disgruntled attending) into stunned silence with one simple phrase:

"Well, I've been thinking a lot about buttholes lately."

Conversation over, you win!

k

Last edited:
Can you still play the undecided card if everything you're involved in academically happens to be in Dermatology (e.g. DIG, Melanoma research, etc etc)...Will it still fly?

Can you still play the undecided card if everything you're involved in academically happens to be in Dermatology (e.g. DIG, Melanoma research, etc etc)...Will it still fly?

No attending/resident would know this unless you tell them

Attending asks what you're interested in in front of the group ---> gunners on your rotation be cutting in like "Oh [insert your name], I thought you were really interested in derm!!"

I really don't understand how you guys can get away with not saying what you're really interested in. If I try to be tight lipped, people are like "well you better decide soon, your apps are due soon!" lol.

Attending asks what you're interested in in front of the group ---> gunners on your rotation be cutting in like "Oh [insert your name], I thought you were really interested in derm!!"
oh god, so true. I was able to keep my mouth shut about being decided up until my last rotation (my current one). I did lay it honestly...I'm gearing towards Derm but I'm keeping Rads in mind (it's the truth!). At that point, the attending/senior/whoever responded with "ah, so you're interested in money, got it". One attending teased me a bit at first but he was older, he eventually started talking about how derm was back in the old days, I doubt he'll hold it against me at all.

oh god, so true. I was able to keep my mouth shut about being decided up until my last rotation (my current one). I did lay it honestly...I'm gearing towards Derm but I'm keeping Rads in mind (it's the truth!). At that point, the attending/senior/whoever responded with "ah, so you're interested in money, got it". One attending teased me a bit at first but he was older, he eventually started talking about how derm was back in the old days, I doubt he'll hold it against me at all.

what a narrow-minded thing to say. maybe you're just a very visual person.

You are interested in Medicine, truth. Being so will make you a better Dermatologist. You will do an Internship most likely in... Medicine. If then asked what area(s), the answer is Immunology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Oncology, Genetics... But you also have some interest in Pathology. You will come off as a book worm. And that's exactly what you will be during your Dermatology residency, like we all were! :)

Reactions: 1 users