Dealing with pharmacist at work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First,I don't want to disrespect any pharmacist here. I have been working as a technician about a year at CVS. There is a pharmacist who has been working 25+ years for CVS. She is quite rude(talks to techs like if they are her slave),and gets on everyone's ass about EVERYTHING. Our store is pretty busy, and I understand that pharmacist could be quite stressed out. Other 3 staff pharmacists are fine including our manager. I just can not put up with her anymore, and I was thinking about giving my 2 weeks notice. I am not planning on going to pharmacy school and not planning on asking for reference. Any advice on dealing with situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try to talk to her about this? Some people don't realize that they're being rude, and just need to be made aware of this. Of course try the nicest way possible to talk to her about this.

If the only reason you want to quit is because of that one rph, why not try to transfer to another store? I doubt she'll change how she treats y'all if she's been like that for years (assuming she has been treating techs like that for years).

Members don't see this ad :)
If the only reason you want to quit is because of that one rph, why not try to transfer to another store? I doubt she'll change how she treats y'all if she's been like that for years (assuming she has been treating techs like that for years).

Talk to the pharmacy manager- that's the point of having a pharmacy manager. You need to make use of your resources. She probably doesn't even realize she's being rude, but if the manager talks to her, she may be a bit nicer or at least more professional to you. If she's been working 25 years, my bet is that she knows how to be professional when she needs to be.

First day I started work, she tells me that she knows she comes off rude and tells me don't take it personally. But I just did not expect her to be this bad and it just does not give her excuse to be an ass 24/7. One of my co worker told me a story before how she made one of our PSA cry. :thumbdown:

I asked for a transfer to non union store to our district manager because our store is a union store but he did not let me.

Talk to the pharmacy manager- that's the point of having a pharmacy manager. You need to make use of your resources. She probably doesn't even realize she's being rude, but if the manager talks to her, she may be a bit nicer or at least more professional to you. If she's been working 25 years, my bet is that she knows how to be professional when she needs to be.

Basically our staff knows she is kind of nuts including our manager. One time she was giving me crap about "fanning labels" before I put them in printer and manager told me she freaks about everything. I don't think there is anything our manager could do for me; she will probably just tell me to suck it up.

First day I started work, she tells me that she knows she comes off rude and tells me don't take it personally. But I just did not expect her to be this bad and it just does not give her excuse to be an ass 24/7. One of my co worker told me a story before how she made one of our PSA cry. :thumbdown:

I asked for a transfer to non union store to our district manager because our store is a union store but he did not let me.

well maybe if you give the manager a good reason they would be more amenable to a transfer, believe me the last thing a manager wants is confrontation and hostility in the workplace, and a good manager would be proactive about handling this instead of just letting it simmer, once it was brought to their attention

Are you too busy during the day to talk to her personally about this for like 5 minutes?

Are you too busy during the day to talk to her personally about this for like 5 minutes?

I have talked to her before. But she never apologized to me or anything. She just tells me either 'I don't want CVS or customer to sue us' or 'I am trying to make you become a better pharmacist.' which is complete bs.

I have talked to her before. But she never apologized to me or anything. She just tells me either 'I don't want CVS or customer to sue us' or 'I am trying to make you become a better pharmacist.' which is complete bs.

It would take a lot for a customer to sue, IMO.

If CVS has a problem, you can talk to your manager about it.

Can you give an example of how rude she is? You don't have to if you would prefer not to talk about it.

I've gone through what you went through when I was a technician. The other pharmacists talked to her about it and it got better for about 2 weeks, but reverted to the same old same old after that. I think she still works there so she's been there almost 10 years. I have no regrets about quitting except maybe that I should have done it sooner. When you feel sick to your stomach before every shift it's just not worth it.

If I were you I'd be on a serious job hunt right now. Also, maybe ask the pharmacy manager if you could only work with the other two pharmacists.

It would take a lot for a customer to sue, IMO.

If CVS has a problem, you can talk to your manager about it.

Can you give an example of how rude she is? You don't have to if you would prefer not to talk about it.

I consider my self pretty patient and mellow person. I am ok with angry customers yelling about their refills or their insurance.

Today I was filling a prescription and a customer comes to drop off window. My co worker was going to lunch and she tells the customer that I will help him in a minute. I give him the gesture. The pharmacist says "go help the customer" I tell her that I got him. As I was putting my pills in the vial, she goes "can you help him NOW? he is gonna get mad, and he is gonna complain to CVS and I GET in trouble." This is all happening within 1 minute. He ended up having some question about some OTC medication. What makes it worse is that she has Chinese accent, and it amplifies her rude tone.

I consider my self pretty patient and mellow person. I am ok with angry customers yelling about their refills or their insurance.

Today I was filling a prescription and a customer comes to drop off window. My co worker was going to lunch and she tells the customer that I will help him in a minute. I give him the gesture. The pharmacist says "go help the customer" I tell her that I got him. As I was putting my pills in the vial, she goes "can you help him NOW? he is gonna get mad, and he is gonna complain to CVS and I GET in trouble." This is all happening within 1 minute. He ended up having some question about some OTC medication. What makes it worse is that she has Chinese accent, and it amplifies her rude tone.

?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gone through what you went through when I was a technician. The other pharmacists talked to her about it and it got better for about 2 weeks, but reverted to the same old same old after that. I think she still works there so she's been there almost 10 years. I have no regrets about quitting except maybe that I should have done it sooner. When you feel sick to your stomach before every shift it's just not worth it.

If I were you I'd be on a serious job hunt right now. Also, maybe ask the pharmacy manager if you could only work with the other two pharmacists.

This is exactly how I feel. Whenever I see my weekly schedule, I look for when she is working with me. I dread that day every freaking week.

First,I don't want to disrespect any pharmacist here. I have been working as a technician about a year at CVS. There is a pharmacist who has been working 25+ years for CVS. She is quite rude(talks to techs like if they are her slave),and gets on everyone's ass about EVERYTHING. Our store is pretty busy, and I understand that pharmacist could be quite stressed out. Other 3 staff pharmacists are fine including our manager. I just can not put up with her anymore, and I was thinking about giving my 2 weeks notice. I am not planning on going to pharmacy school and not planning on asking for reference. Any advice on dealing with situation?
For you to change your work schedule or place of employment because of another person's inability to control their deportment is absolutely absurd. Go into work each day and do your job to the best of your ability. If at any point this pharmacists says or does something inappropriate do not hesitate to let her know that she is out of line and that you have no intention of being treated in a demeaning manner. Any complaint from her to management should be taken as a badge of honor. Odds are any complaint from her will just confirm in the management's mind what a loon she truly is.

For you to change your work schedule or place of employment because of another person's inability to control their deportment is absolutely absurd. Go into work each day and do your job to the best of your ability. If at any point this pharmacists says or does something inappropriate do not hesitate to let her know that she is out of line and that you have no intention of being treated in a demeaning manner. Any complaint from her to management should be taken as a badge of honor. Odds are any complaint from her will just confirm in the management's mind what a loon she truly is.

You've never been in this situation yourself, have you? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It.just.doesn't. :mad:

Her accent doesn't amplify her rudeness, but it may amplify how you PERCEIVE what she's saying. I have found that I have trouble discerning intent in people who have unfamiliar accents or who naturally speak louder than normal b/c I'm not used to that tone or inflection. It's possible that she's saying things that are perfectly fine and her voice just causes you to perceive them as rude.

Also, I don't think it was wrong of her to expect you to attend to the customer immediately. I've worked in a couple of retail pharmacies and we had the same policy. Stop what you were doing and go to the customer, then resume whatever you were working on.

You've never been in this situation yourself, have you? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It.just.doesn't. :mad:

I agree. Particularly if the pharmacist has been with the company for a while or if they are willing to work crappy hours or in stores no one else wants, they will not do anything about bad behavior. Especially when it's petty stuff like has been described in this thread. The company won't get involved.

Every company, no matter what it is, has people who are exempt from disciplinary action, and they know it and they can get away with anything.

Also, I don't think it was wrong of her to expect you to attend to the customer immediately. I've worked in a couple of retail pharmacies and we had the same policy. Stop what you were doing and go to the customer, then resume whatever you were working on.

I always would finish what I was doing before going to the front counter or answering the phone. If you're in the middle of counting a prescription, go ahead and finish. Stopping in the middle and going back just asks for mistakes to happen. Of course, if it is going to be several minutes I would stop and go back to what I was doing after. It had to be a reasonable amount of time.

I always would finish what I was doing before going to the front counter or answering the phone. If you're in the middle of counting a prescription, go ahead and finish. Stopping in the middle and going back just asks for mistakes to happen. Of course, if it is going to be several minutes I would stop and go back to what I was doing after. It had to be a reasonable amount of time.

At my chain we are expected to immediately drop whatever, tell them we will be right with them, and help the customer right away. If you are in the middle of counting, the vast majority of the time it is to 30 so it's not like it's that difficult to recount again if needed. If it's 120 metformin or something, then yeah, like you said, just make a note where you are so you can return later after helping the customer. Otherwise, if I finished what I was doing before waiting on them, I feel like I get death stares until I or someone else goes up to the counter. But maybe that's just my pharmacy because it's a very open area where the customer can see everyone back here.

At my chain we are expected to immediately drop whatever, tell them we will be right with them, and help the customer right away. If you are in the middle of counting, the vast majority of the time it is to 30 so it's not like it's that difficult to recount again if needed. If it's 120 metformin or something, then yeah, like you said, just make a note where you are so you can return later after helping the customer. Otherwise, if I finished what I was doing before waiting on them, I feel like I get death stares until I or someone else goes up to the counter. But maybe that's just my pharmacy because it's a very open area where the customer can see everyone back here.

I was always taught to finish what you are doing before attending to the next customer. When you immediately drop what you are doing, it can cause mistakes to happen and now you're putting that other customer at risk. Finish what you are doing, and then go help the customer. God forbid they wait 5 minutes.

I agree with the idea customers are more important and I would not have any issue with pharmacist saying "Can you help the customer?" instead of her rant about getting sued and way demands she asks people to do things.

There is at least one episode of tech talking back at her whenever she is in charge. I am going to talk to manager on Monday but I doubt there is anything that she could do. Everyone has been working there for longer than I have and is used to how she is.

I was always taught to finish what you are doing before attending to the next customer. When you immediately drop what you are doing, it can cause mistakes to happen and now you're putting that other customer at risk. Finish what you are doing, and then go help the customer. God forbid they wait 5 minutes.

I was also taught to finish what I was doing. If you're at a busy store and you leave something unlabeled, and someone puts away a stock bottle assuming you're done with it, you'd have no idea what you were counting. If you try to spend 5 minutes trying to ID the capsule or the tablet, that could be time you can't get back.

With pharmacists I know, they'll go up and see what the customer wants if I'm in the middle of counting or putting labels on.

Majority of the time, you count 30, but you can't always assume stuff like that. If you're counting some other weird numbers (like 20 tabs, 21 caps, 15 tabs, etc), you could be giving them too much if you went with your assumption

Last edited:
I agree. Particularly if the pharmacist has been with the company for a while or if they are willing to work crappy hours or in stores no one else wants, they will not do anything about bad behavior. Especially when it's petty stuff like has been described in this thread. The company won't get involved.

Never thought I would see that. :eek:

But I also agree. Some people are just not good with managing other people. Her attitude may not be optimal, but as long as she isn't doing anything illegal, I doubt you are going to see any change in her behaviour.

If you call in every time you're scheduled to work with her, maybe she'll get the picture. I've seen it happen before.

If you call in every time you're scheduled to work with her, maybe she'll get the picture. I've seen it happen before.

I've seen that happen too, but the tech just got fired and made all of the other techs angry.

I'd say move to a new chain or a new store. She is obviously not going to leave if she's been there for many decades. I also think CVS won't fire pharmacists because if they are competent enough, CVS will keep them (at least in my city).

I think what the poster meant by her Asian accent is that oftentimes, the accent is emphatic so it sounds more demanding. This is especially of the Mandarin/Chinese/Japanese accents.

I'm also thinking with a CVS background/tech background could it be tough to find another tech gig?

Well said Seldane- I think you just have to do your job and just ignore her rudeness- this is probably who see is 24/7 and will never change. It's almost like asking someone who is really nice and quiet to become mean and belligerent it's just not going to happen. Just do your job and ignore her rude comments.

Yes, I have been in this situation. Telling someone (in this case a bully) that their inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated is not some "pie in the sky" concept. It's called real life. Such situations occur in school yards, classrooms, offices and yes even at CVS pharmacies. Each instance requires the same courage and straight forward approach.

I'd say move to a new chain or a new store. She is obviously not going to leave if she's been there for many decades. I also think CVS won't fire pharmacists because if they are competent enough, CVS will keep them (at least in my city).

I think what the poster meant by her Asian accent is that oftentimes, the accent is emphatic so it sounds more demanding. This is especially of the Mandarin/Chinese/Japanese accents.

I'm also thinking with a CVS background/tech background could it be tough to find another tech gig?
Moving to a new chain or a new store because someone else can't control their behavior? Heaven forbid the original poster leaves CVS and gets a job a Walgreens only to find that the senior tech is really mean and sarcastic. This moving from chain to chain could get really complicated.

Moving to a new chain or a new store because someone else can't control their behavior? Heaven forbid the original poster leaves CVS and gets a job a Walgreens only to find that the senior tech is really mean and sarcastic. This moving from chain to chain could get really complicated.

If you were in the OP's situation, what would you do?

Yes, I have been in this situation. Telling someone (in this case a bully) that their inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated is not some "pie in the sky" concept. It's called real life. Such situations occur in school yards, classrooms, offices and yes even at CVS pharmacies. Each instance requires the same courage and straight forward approach.

I have confronted her before but she did not change her attitude. She tells me she does want to ask people to do things because store is busy and she does not want to energy saying extra few words. lol thats what she literally said to me. Whenever there is a waiter at the pick up window, she throws the prescription over on the counter rather than handing the prescription to the PSA or tech because she is scared of getting paper cuts. :confused:

I am not planning on applying to pharmacy school and I really wonder if it s worth all the stress I get for making crap wages. I will talk to my manager tomorrow and decide from there.

SELDANE, I moved to a better pharmacy and it was complete 180, it was wonderful and I felt bad for those who had to tolerate bad behaviour without having a taste of a better quality pharmacy. Some folks can tolerate for years, you know like abusive relationships...

If it's the people and not the work, then I'd say move whenever/however you can and just check what is out there. See how other pharmacies function...it was like when I was teching at an Albertsons where it was misery/hell and then interned at a Walmart in a smaller town and was FLOORED at how well run the staff was and how folks got along.

KB hopefully your manager can offer something...best wishes.

Last edited:
SELDANE, I moved to a better pharmacy and it was complete 180, it was wonderful and I felt bad for those who had to tolerate bad behaviour without having a taste of a better quality pharmacy. Some folks can tolerate for years, you know like abusive relationships...

If it's the people and not the work, then I'd say move whenever/however you can and just check what is out there. See how other pharmacies function...it was like when I was teching at an Albertsons where it was misery/hell and then interned at a Walmart in a smaller town and was FLOORED at how well run the staff was and how folks got along.

KB hopefully your manager can offer something...best wishes.

I'm glad it worked out for you. But unfortunately, many technicians (and pharmacists) are not in a market that allows them the opportunity to "check what is out there". Instead they are faced with either succumbing to the whimsically outrageous behavior of a spoiled pharmacist or dealing with the matter through direct confrontation and possible human resource action.

why didnt she just get the counter- i mean she couldn't have been that busy if she can give you a lecture about why u should drop everything and go get the customer, she could have walked over there and see what the patient wanted.

why didnt she just get the counter- i mean she couldn't have been that busy if she can give you a lecture about why u should drop everything and go get the customer, she could have walked over there and see what the patient wanted.

:thumbup:

Yeah, if I'm in the middle of a 2nd count of 180 vicodin I'm not stopping to help someone at the counter. I will acknowledge that I will be there in a minute and sometimes the pharmacist or another tech will go help that person out. Very rarely I will ask someone else to go help the person at the counter if they're not doing anything and aren't paying attention.

Yeah, and then YOU will lose your job, not her.

The only time I ever considered doing that was at a restaurant I worked at when I was in college. There were two waiters who thought they were in the closet, but they really weren't; one was much deeper in denial about his sexuality than the other one, and this man only worked on Saturday nights (he had another job during the week). These guys were fine as individuals, but together, ZOMG. They would talk about the most perverted sex acts - and I mean, things that most people wouldn't consider sex at all. I told one of the managers about this, and added that if I was ever scheduled in an area with both of them, I would call in sick. I must not have been the only one who complained, because the one who was more obviously gay was no longer scheduled to work Saturday nights but they didn't tell him why.

Yeah, and then YOU will lose your job, not her.

The only time I ever considered doing that was at a restaurant I worked at when I was in college. There were two waiters who thought they were in the closet, but they really weren't; one was much deeper in denial about his sexuality than the other one, and this man only worked on Saturday nights (he had another job during the week). These guys were fine as individuals, but together, ZOMG. They would talk about the most perverted sex acts - and I mean, things that most people wouldn't consider sex at all. I told one of the managers about this, and added that if I was ever scheduled in an area with both of them, I would call in sick. I must not have been the only one who complained, because the one who was more obviously gay was no longer scheduled to work Saturday nights but they didn't tell him why.

Why didn't you just tell them that what they were talking about was making you uncomfortable?

Why didn't you just tell them that what they were talking about was making you uncomfortable?

Because I, and other people too, would probably have been accused of homophobia. Anyway, it was a situation where keeping those two away from each other benefited everybody, except maybe them.

Well, yeah... that's what adults/professionals do. They don't run to the boss and say "ZOMG some gay guy is talking about how he made out with someone at a party last night!!!!"

I mean, c'mon!

They weren't talking about making out at a party. They were talking about things that truthfully cannot be described on a website like this one.

Come on guys. rph3664 is probably a virgin. I can see how two boys talking about their wieners would make her uncomfortable. Give her a break!