Dealing with Severe Anxiety/Depression while in Med. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to answer the previous posters question no, the treatment doesnt make u some wiz kid back like b4 overnight, i been on treatment for 4 weeks with intense therapy and pyschitry, i been seein a pyschiatrist once a week and a clinical pyschologist once a week and the exchanged notes and stuff cause it was at my university. i started with zoloft with made me worse, then went to paxil which was just like a sleepin pill to me and messed me up, then when i switched docs, and was put on the above combo coctail i gave u, i started to feel better after 3 weeks, when i say better i mean stabilized to function. Before i was too full of anxiety that even getting dressed and going out of the door was an accomplisment for me, it was hard for me to do anything, and i was too anxious to function and that lack of control of my anxiety made me depressed where i even functioned less, now i am on the treatment plan, thusfar, i am stabilized enough to think of my future and not just be bed ridden and sleeping 24/7 and feeling too sick to eat or do anythin or see anyone or talk to anyone. I feel more free now, but i dont think i am fully treated yet, but I DO notice a difference, i will let u know of my progress as time goes if u want just pm me anyone. I wish i knew all the stuff i know now b4, i would of got treatment way b4. i feel way more educated about the disease and about seeking treatment, so good now that i can even diagnose people, i helped my exgf who had bipolar and convinced her to get treatment and i was right she was bipolar, and helped my other depressed friend who was in dental school to get convinced to go and seek treatment. When they saw me Mr. Macho boy who was outgoing and Mr. independent seek treatment and heard my story they broke down and let me see thru them which allowed me to help them. We all need to help each other when it comes to such a disease, man when i first started my anxiety was so bad i used to wish that i had cancer rather then this crap, at least cancer u know what u have and u know what needs to be done, this mental stuff is all trial and error and freaky scary to pursue treatment cause
1. ur too anxious and depressed to even realize how to seek and to actually get urself to seek treatment.
2. its hard to deal with the stigma, costs, and trusting a doc to play with ur brain and worryin about the aftermath of seein a shrink (ex. how it may show on ur record, what ur family may think or those around u, etc...
3. you stop trusting urself and ur abilities cause u never know when this evil disease is going to go away or come back.

But with all those reasons the smartest thing i did was seeking treatment, i couldnt be any worse then i was, i feel like i am on the road to recovery, Hopefully , pray for me peoples.
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

to the OP, glad you are feeling better.. I have had severe depression and anxiety as well and am under the care of a psychiatrist. I feel for everyone on here with similar problems b/c I know there is still a huge stigma against mental illness. My school still has an unfortunate policy saying that individuals with mental illness may be required to take >6 mo. leave of abscence under certain circumstances; while there is no such policy for those with "medical conditions." Gotta love the distinction there; one girl in the class above me was not forced to take any time off even though it seems she was endangering her newborn son's health by continuing her studies, while students with mental illness are pigeonholed and condemned. The woman who had the baby (oligohydramnios + failure to thrive) got the school to allow her to bring the baby into lecture every day after her classmates OK'ed it, but if I told my classmates about my illness I know I would be gossiped about and shunned. anyway, Effexor XR works very well for the depression, still working on finding something for the anxiety. Benzos make me WAY too drowsy, and Buspar is very weak.

When seeing a psychiatrist for depression, ask if he or she has recently prescribed or has patients on TCA's and MAOI's.

If the answer is no, (especially if accompanied with horrified remarks about modern drugs being "more effective," and older drugs having "terrible side effects" and being "too dangerous") you should try to make the most of the session, but then find another doctor, quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the 20mgs of lexapro *, 100mg seraquil, and the pill of cholnazapam, were working since it was the coctail i was on for 4 weeks, i felt good for the past 4 days, but today i got a severe panic attack which extremely disappointed me cause i thought the drugs took there effect and i was doing good and i wouldnt get such a huge panic attack out of no where, my doc is usin the seraquil to control my severe anxiety, my depression is under control its the anxeity that were havin a huge problem controlling, anyone kno whether or try seraquil or any of its groups as an anti anxiety for help? did it help? what has some of u with severe anxiety take to help it? did it work? how long did it take? did u get panic attacks while on the drugs still, mine was severe, yikes it scared me and so disappointed me cause i thought i was finally recovering and no more panic attacks :mad:

Mike

Talk to your doctor if you are concerned that the meds you are taking are not controlling your anxiety sufficiently. People here should not be suggesting medications for you to try - that is your doctor's job to work out with you.

Everyone is different. Different people need different meds or doses to get the same effect. Some people get severe side effects from a med; others are fine. Point is: it will take some trial and error to find the right mix for you.

I hope you are continuing therapy during this time. Recovery from mental illness is more successful when medication treatment is combined with therapy compared to medications alone.

Its good to hear you have been feeling better and keep your chin up. There are many options available to you in treatment; just take things one day at a time!

Panic attacks are scary, by their nature--not just while you're having one, but when you look back on it. Hang in there, call your doc Monday morning, and stick with the treatment until then. It can take a while to get this under control. Your therapist can give you ways to deal with the panic attacks until they're under control.

I know Dr. Mom said no medical advice, but i was just wondering and asking even if u can do it thru pm, those who have had severe anxiety and controlled it , what worked for u? seems like i thought my coctail worked but grrrrrr got disappointed, i need to get some ideas that way i can discuss it with my doc and see what he says.
Thanks all.
Mike

i am not giving advice here, but i am stating what is usually given to help people with panic attacks. fast acting benzos i.e. lorezepam/alprazolam work well to help prevent panic attacks. if you feel an attack coming on you can put one under your tongue. they are pretty sedating, but if you are amped up they will mostly help to bring you back to a comfortable baseline. the problem with these rx are that they are habit forming. sometimes just carrying them with you helps b/c you know you have something that will help. sometimes just knowing that has been shown to lessen the frequency of attacks. this leads the next thing i see being recommended occasionally = cognitive behavioral therapy. there have been quite a few studies done that have shown cbt works to help prevent the escalating emotional reaction to thoughts. for instance, you start to feel a little off, you think to yourself 'oh no, is this a panic attack', then your heart starts racing, you are with a group of people and you think to yourself, what if i have a panic attack here/what if i pass out/i don't feel right, etc. then bam, you have a panic attak and are feeling like you need to escape, your heart is racing, etc. cbt helps to teach you to remove negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones to short-circuit the viscous cycle. so instead of saying, what if i am having a panic attack..say i'm feeling a little uncomfortable but it is temporary, let me just take deep breaths. or if you have a panic attack...instead of telling yourself that you feel like you are going to die or pass out...tell yourself that this is temporary and that if i take measures to relax i will. get the picture? it is much more involved than this but just wanted to provide a very basic example.

crap the meds arent as effective anymore, now i get anxiety just like i did b4 i was on the darn coctail of meds, is it time to change the meds or to get on a higher dosage?

I haven't had the time to read this whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned people should really be looking into CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy) for depression/anxiety. U. of Penn. Med School (Drs. David Burn, Aaron Beck, Albert Ellis) basically started the movement, and it's amazing. Requires you to do some pretty regular homework, but if you put in the time you can relieve your depression and not have to rely on SSRI's. Burn's groundbreaking book is called "Feeling Good" and can be bought at any major bookstore. He's also got a workbook, which is pretty helpful. Anyway, the premise of the theory is depression is caused by distorted thinking patterns. If you can address the distorted thoughts, the depression begins to lift. Worked for me, and it gives you lifelong skills you can rely on and use when you're under stress.

sdude said:
When seeing a psychiatrist for depression, ask if he or she has recently prescribed or has patients on TCA's and MAOI's.

If the answer is no, (especially if accompanied with horrified remarks about modern drugs being "more effective," and older drugs having "terrible side effects" and being "too dangerous") you should try to make the most of the session, but then find another doctor, quickly.

What makes you say this?

MD2b20004,

I hope you're doing well. I have generalized anxiety disorder and suffer from panic attacks. I take lexapro daily, propanalol preventatively during stressful times and xanax when I have attacks. I think something to realize is that one of the worst part about panic attacks is the anxiety that comes from anticipating the next one (you probably know this already). For me, dealing with my GAD/Panic disorder has been a journey. I'm much better than I used to be, but I still have good days and bad. It's not something that will ever go away. This is part of my personality - meds help, but in the end, I'll always been somewhat more anxious and jumpy than the average person.

When I have an attack now (though they happen rarely), it scares me into thinking that I could be falling back into my old cycle. This sort of fear is the nature of the disorder. When you have an attack, you have to know that as scary as it is, it won't kill you. You also have to know that even though the disorder will always be with you, that you can rise above it.

Good luck!

If you don't have insurance through medical school perhaps your parents (if either has their own business) could just hire you at some really pathetic rate which you could then just pay back to them in order for you to get insurance coverage. The fact of not having insurance is really scarey.

Members don't see this ad :)
(nicedream) said:
What makes you say this?

Psychopharmacologists who have used both the newer and older drugs have found that the TCA's and MAOI's are generally more effective in treating severe depression than the SSRI's and other current medications. The MAOI's in particular have proven to be uniquely effective for anergic or atypical depression, and for many Parnate (stimulating, not associated with weight gain or emotional numbness) has proven to have the best side effect profile of any AD.

One writer (who's name I can't remember) stated bluntly in his psychpharm text that all modern AD's have done is change the constellation of side effects--and that no real progress has been made in treating severe depression.

There's no question that the newer drugs are more "doctor-friendly" in being easy to prescribe, hard to abuse, and requiring little of patients, in contrast to the MAOI's, which have strict but manageable dietary/drug interaction requirements; or the TCA's, which are fatal in overdose.

Because of its decent side-effect profile, lack of interactions and reasonable efficacy, I think Prozac makes a good first line treatment for ambulatory depression. Nevertheless, a psychiatrist who limits himself exclusively to the modern drugs is treating his patients with one hand and a few fingers tied behind his back.

MD2b20004

I sent you a PM.

MTpsych

:confused: I know Dr. Mom said no medical advice, but I guess my question is more pharmacological. I was on Paxil for several years on & off throughout the end of HS & parts of college. It worked well for both my mood problems & my migraines (added bonus :) ), but I HATED the side effects that I had. Since starting med school, my headaches have increased & I've been experiencing anxiety that I never remember experiencing before. My neurologist has me on topamax for my HA's, but I don't know that I really feel an added benefit to it. I'm tempted to ask about trying an SSRI again or a TCA, but I'm worried - I gained about 50 pounds when I was on paxil.

Does anyone know if there are any SSRI's that aren't supposed to make you gain weight, if you have the weight gain with one of them? How about TCAs?

stoic, what dosage of lexapro do you take?

dont kno about stoic but i am on 20mg of lexapro , suppose to be the max for that specific SSRI, man i wish i can gain weight from lexapro, i want to gain weight, i am only 150 pounds, 6'0 frame and since my anxiety i lose more and more weight everyday, it got to a rock bottom of 130 when i was at my peak of anxiety/depression. Lexapro isnt working for my anxiety at 20mg, any ideas anyone, i just cant seem to control this anxiety, depression is all under control but my anxiety is out of wack, it get to the point where i carry a bottle of clonazepam 0.5mg with me and pop a pill when i am gettin extra anxious which is pretty much like every day at least twice a day. :(
what can help this damn anxiety go under control while keepin me awake enough to function!

Does anyone know if it is necessary to take SSRIs (lexapro specifically) for atleast six months? I feel like I don't need it anymore and really don't want to take medication if I don't have to. (right now i'm on 5 mg lexapro)

birdie said:
Does anyone know if it is necessary to take SSRIs (lexapro specifically) for atleast six months? I feel like I don't need it anymore and really don't want to take medication if I don't have to. (right now i'm on 5 mg lexapro)

I don't think you have to take SSRI's for at least 6 months. In fact, the perscriping info usually says that they are for only six months of use at a time (though that rarely gets followed). Probably because efficacy/safety trials haven't been extended beyond the 6 month range.

It's good that you don't think you need the med anymore, I actually stopped taking lexapro about a month ago (10mg). HOWEVER,you should at least let your doctor know you'd like to stop taking it and get his/her opinion. SSRI's can have some withdrawl effects and your doc can let you know what to expect, for how long, and how to manage them. Personally, I didn't really notice any withdrawl, and you're taking a very low dose (almost everyone starts at 10 and goes up or down from there) so it seems likely you wouldn't have too rough a time coming off of it.

Good luck,
S

stoic I sent you a PM.

chlonazapam - i.e. ativan derivative from the benzodiazapine [sp?] family?

My father had to go to rehab because his physician stated that it "... wasn't addictive at all."

Just a warning. From personal experience (through my father), and from what Lange has to say, Benzodiazapine's are extremely addictive and tend to need a constant up-titration, if you know what I mean.

Just my $.02 . Keep an eye on drugs of this nature, they have the tendency to only aggravate anxiety situations (creating mood swings) after constant usage and make you more relient than balanced. Hope all works out well. (Talking Chronic usage not acute)

Hi everyone,
I had something happen to me a few days ago that I almost cannot describe. I was studying for an exam, had no problem all day, then all of a sudden I get a hot feeling through my body, couldn't focus, and felt really strange, almost like I was on drugs. Needless to say I freaked out, called my boyfriend to come home from his call, I have not felt right cognitively since. The next day I went to the ER since I was still feeling really strange and just could not think, they thought seeing how I was in med school and had an exam coming up that I probably had an anxiety attack (although I am not a particularly worrisome person, I exercise daily). Well, it is now almost 3 days later and I still feel just wrong. If I walk to fast I get that hot sensation, I cannot think (I used to pride myself on being pretty sharp, even up until a few days ago, now it seems I cannot figure out the simplest thing). I am in a fog, and I am praying to God that I will snap out of it and just be myself again. I am going to see a neurologist to rule out anything medical, I can't help thinking that is this is an anxiety attack/disorder that I would have felt cognitively clear by now. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience, I feel like I am going nuts (I obviously can't afford that given my choice of careers). Thanks

I'm new to this thread, but I find it very helpful, as I'm having some of the same problems with depression myself, only I didn't realize that's what it was. I've never had to take anything for it and was thinking of going to the doctor, but irlandesa's scared me a bit, you know, with the business about some schools requiring you to take a leave of absence for 6 mos. I was thinking about going to Student Services at my school. Anybody know anything about Southwestern's policy?

I did not read this whole thread, but I have a question. Is it OK to seek psychiatric care for depression as a medical student? Do state medical boards ask for this on thier applications? Will it affect licensure?

Thanks.

Leukocyte said:
I did not read this whole thread, but I have a question. Is it OK to seek psychiatric care for depression as a medical student? Do state medical boards ask for this on thier applications? Will it affect licensure?

Thanks.

I didn't do a very good job of asking my question -- Leukocyte asked it better. Anybody out there know? By the way, everyone, thanks for all of the insight on this topic...I thought I was VERY VERY alone. Anybody got an answer?

Leukocyte said:

Thanks.

I don't have any real information about this, but I can't imagine that you would be required to reveal psychiatric care for any condition (just like you're not required to reveal what medical conditions you have). If you did have to, I think many doctors-to-be would be out of a job! (myself included!)

I'm not sure how it works for bipolar disorder though...I would think that would be totally confidential as well...but I'm curious because it seems like maybe that could affect your judgment at times...though I don't know...?

Had about a week's worth of acute anxiety/sleeplessness 1.5wks before first test block. No depression though. Get it taken care of right away and don't be afraid to talk about it. Most students will go through this at some point first block. The ones who had it early on are usually the ones on top of things for the tests. The ones hitting the wall test week are the worst off. I heard 70% of med students get on something for depression before it's all over. Luckily, I dealt with the axiety (and where it was coming from) and just needed to get my sleep back on pattern.

My dad has a friend who is a physician, and he asked him about medical students seeking treatment for depression and other emotional problems, as to whether it would keep them from obtaining a medical license. the doctor said that he had never heard of anyone having a problem like that, but that he would place a call to the Medical Board's office and ask. He did, and was told the following: There is a question at the end of the application for medical license that asks if you have a mental illness such that would affect your ability to practice medicine, or something along those lines. The office explained it to the doctor that they were referring to a hospitalization or something major that is ongoing that you are dealing with. And then even in that event, it doesn't mean that you won't get your license, just means that they willask questions to satisfy themselves that you are mentally competent.
Hope this helps. I'm going to the doctor.

50 mg of Zoloft is not that much. It's actually a starting dosage for depression. (Hi, my name is Runtita, and I am a chronic depressive.)

Student Services at medical schools exist for A REASON!!!!! They are there to HELP you! Don't be afraid to ask for help. That can be the hardest step but it is also the first step towards getting better.

It's hard being depressed (or anxious, obsessive compulsive, etc) because society has labelled us as being crazy. We're not crazy. We are not weak. We are not inferior. We have a chemical imbalance that is very often treatable with therapy and meds (always, ALWAYS continue therapy even if you are on meds).

I have to be blunt, though, and say that if you are more worried about what some medical board in the future is going to think or your malpractice rates than your own personal mental health, well, nothing I can say here will sound quite right.

If you want to be successful and happy, then take care of yourself FIRST. You owe that to yourself.

Alot of people won't come forward because of what society says. Trust me tons students (and non-students) are feeling the same way as the original poster and obviously to varying degrees. It has nothing to do with inferiority or being weak, just as someone else stated. Bottom line just make sure you always get help. And we all know that it is essential to become educated about this. To all of those who posted and have read this remember you are not alone.

My dad is an internist and he treats many, many fellow physicians for depression and anxiety. Matter of fact, it's more uncommon to see a doc come in and not be depressed or anxious. It must be the nature of the beast. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SSRI Power!

:D

I don't know if anyone one read my post. It is now day 5 post my event. I am still cognitively not with it, I saw a neurologist who ordered an MRI that I am having today, he prescribed Clonazepam .5mg three times a day which I started last night. I feel less anxiety, but I am still in a cognitive fog. I am desperate to find someone who has shared this type of experience, because I almost can't believe that this is not due to something medical. I still need my boyfriend to go everywehre with me, when I am by myself I start crying uncontrollably, waiting for him to come home. I am so upset at myself, I am usually clear thinking, independent, and not an emotional basketcase. I just want to be my old self, but I still don't feel anything like my old self. The thing that worries me the most is my cognitive function, I am scared to death I will have to drop out of school. Has anyone dealt with this?

Your best bet would probably be to start a new thread as your post probably just got looked over on this very large (and several months old) thread. I wish you luck in finding out what happened and getting back to normal.

physicsMD said:
I don't know if anyone one read my post. It is now day 5 post my event. I am still cognitively not with it, I saw a neurologist who ordered an MRI that I am having today, he prescribed Clonazepam .5mg three times a day which I started last night. I feel less anxiety, but I am still in a cognitive fog. I am desperate to find someone who has shared this type of experience, because I almost can't believe that this is not due to something medical. I still need my boyfriend to go everywehre with me, when I am by myself I start crying uncontrollably, waiting for him to come home. I am so upset at myself, I am usually clear thinking, independent, and not an emotional basketcase. I just want to be my old self, but I still don't feel anything like my old self. The thing that worries me the most is my cognitive function, I am scared to death I will have to drop out of school. Has anyone dealt with this?

physicsMD said:

I had the same thing, though not quite as bad. It was anxiety. You are doing the right thing by looking into it. Do you know your Meyers-Briggs type? You're probably an NTJ in which case, your strong point would be clear, intuitive, logical thinking. Your stress-type behavior would be anxiety and self doubt (extreme opposite of your normal). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

physicsMD:

I have no medical knowledge, but I would bet you are going through anxiety phase. I know someone who went through that or had one triggered when they had an adverse reaction to some medications. Anxiety is really common, but seldom do people speak about it in the open. It is not treated like a "physical disease" so many more people have it than you realize. At least you have a support structure. I don't think this will hurt you in the long run, and don't think you made the wrong decision. I would take things day to day. My friend, didn't recover overnight, so don't expect it to go away as quickly as it came on, but try to take each day and feel that each one is an improvement. You are going through a MAJOR transition, so it is going to be hard. Maybe talking to someone, or having "ME" time that isn't studying, might help. Good luck, and I hope everything gets better.

Thanks for your replies,
It has now been a week, my MRI came back normal (although I have sinusitis), got my EEG today and saw a psychiatrist who started me on Paxil (just popped my first one a few minutes ago). I still feel detached and cognitively foggy, although I managed to navigate my way home today by myself which is a huge step up from a few days ago when I would not have been able to find my way home if you put me a block away. I have been reading up on depersonalization disorder, which kind of describes the way I feel. I am hoping I don't have anything that serious since that seems to be a chronic condition that is somewhat dehabilitating. Still not in school, I don't think I could comprehend anything anyways, just waiting and hoping to feel normal again. Hell on earth.

Giving My .02 said:
physicsMD:

I have no medical knowledge, but I would bet you are going through anxiety phase. I know someone who went through that or had one triggered when they had an adverse reaction to some medications. Anxiety is really common, but seldom do people speak about it in the open. It is not treated like a "physical disease" so many more people have it than you realize. At least you have a support structure. I don't think this will hurt you in the long run, and don't think you made the wrong decision. I would take things day to day. My friend, didn't recover overnight, so don't expect it to go away as quickly as it came on, but try to take each day and feel that each one is an improvement. You are going through a MAJOR transition, so it is going to be hard. Maybe talking to someone, or having "ME" time that isn't studying, might help. Good luck, and I hope everything gets better.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of symptoms your friend had and how long it took him to get back to his/her normal routine, or at least feel functional again?

This is a really long thread and it's partly been hijacked, but I think it's a good topic.

Sometimes I think: man! how can you NOT be depressed?! Study all the time, have competitive classmates, loose touch with your non-med friends who are having lives and parties, and then you ask yourself in the middle of the night - where am I? Ok, well sometimes I do this.

Studying is isolating, I find. And so I think it's normal to be anxious, or depressed. These are also life changing times for most of us, and it can strain the best marriages and relationships. I say, more talk about this topic! :thumbup:

BUMP

Paws said:
This is a really long thread and it's partly been hijacked, but I think it's a good topic.

Sometimes I think: man! how can you NOT be depressed?! Study all the time, have competitive classmates, loose touch with your non-med friends who are having lives and parties, and then you ask yourself in the middle of the night - where am I? Ok, well sometimes I do this.

Studying is isolating, I find. And so I think it's normal to be anxious, or depressed. These are also life changing times for most of us, and it can strain the best marriages and relationships. I say, more talk about this topic! :thumbup:

hey,
when i was in undergrad i had a long-term stretch of severe insomnia, and out of sheer desperation (there comes a point when "suck it up" is no longer physically an option, and i had no medical insurance because i studied in Australia), i finally made an appointment to see the university psychologist. it was entirely confidential, had nothing to do with the departments i was studying in, and regarding professors, as far as i know ne'er the twain shall meet. the counselor wasn't an MD and has nothing to do with medications, so i didn't have to fret the drug stuff. i'm not advising one way or the other re drugs--i have no training whatsoever in that field--but i just bring it up because it might be an option for you to see a psychologist/counselor instead of a psychiatrist, if your university has that sort of support infrastructure in the student services department. i had a positive experience with it, and it sounds like it might resolve your concerns re insurance, confidentiality, and drugs. however, i might have just been lucky.
cheers

Can anyone recommend a good psychiatrist and therapist that is in network with United Health care in manhattan?

http://www.blantonpeale.org/counsel.html

I recommend them as an excellent place for low cost but awesome therapy. There is the slight religious aspect, and they are housed in a church, but beyond that they are not a religious place. Completely neutral.

I went to them for a while and thought they were incredible. And affordable. They made a big difference for me in how I felt and how I coped with what was going on. Invaluable.

PM me if you have questions - :)

Runtita said:
Student Services at medical schools exist for A REASON!!!!! They are there to HELP you! Don't be afraid to ask for help. That can be the hardest step but it is also the first step towards getting better.

I went to student services to ask for help because I felt overwhelmed by course work and recent family deaths. The senior person in charge met with me, asked me my MCAT score, my academic background, and eventually told me he couldn't help me because he didn't know why I was having trouble, given my academic strengths. He offered to give me a psych referral and said maybe I needed meds.

He also said not to tell anyone in my class that I had gone to see him, because word gets around, people will gossip, and next thing I know I wouldn't make AOA or get a good residency.

I hope all of you are having better experiences.

Fortunately I know better than to take him seriously.

MeowMix said:
I went to student services to ask for help because I felt overwhelmed by course work and recent family deaths. The senior person in charge met with me, asked me my MCAT score, my academic background, and eventually told me he couldn't help me because he didn't know why I was having trouble, given my academic strengths. He offered to give me a psych referral and said maybe I needed meds.

He also said not to tell anyone in my class that I had gone to see him, because word gets around, people will gossip, and next thing I know I wouldn't make AOA or get a good residency.

Wow. That's rotten. We have a great Student Services at KCOM- an academic division and a counseling division.

It is now day 15 since my event. I still feel strange, in a brain fog all day, I even keep squinting my eyes because I am convinced my vision has gotten worse since all this. I am still cognitively dull, nothing interests me, and I still feel depersonalized. I have been on paxil for a week now, and will start therapy with my school's anxiety service, but I am wondering if now I have some kind of depersonalization disorder. I have not felt one iota of my old self, not even for a minute, since this happened. Is that normal? Anyone out there had these kind of symptoms this long?

PhysicsMD, the other day I sent you like a 2 page long PM, and received a response "what?". Did you get the message??

physicsMD said:
It is now day 15 since my event. I still feel strange, in a brain fog all day, I even keep squinting my eyes because I am convinced my vision has gotten worse since all this. I am still cognitively dull, nothing interests me, and I still feel depersonalized. I have been on paxil for a week now, and will start therapy with my school's anxiety service, but I am wondering if now I have some kind of depersonalization disorder. I have not felt one iota of my old self, not even for a minute, since this happened. Is that normal? Anyone out there had these kind of symptoms this long?

hey,
i've also been feelin anxious recently and dont know whats causing it. your school has an anxiety clinic or is it part of the hospital that they are affiliated with? what type of people give the therapy? other students? psychiatrists?