Dealing with the length of training

NotAnOperator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a question to be answered so I'm kind of just ranting my frustration and hoping someone can give me advice on how to cope with my (and most premed) dilemmas.
To start, I have the best, most amazing wife in the world. We're young and you can say we're still in our honeymoon stage (dating since 15 yrs old) but our marriage has been amazing.
I'm active duty military for 2 more years and she's in her first year of law school (she's 2 years older). I'm doing some school and pre-med classes now but won't be in a formal school setting until I'm out of the military and she's a law school graduate.
So once she's a lawyer, I'll be spending an entire decade in school/residency training to become an MD (she's fully on board and supports this).
I'll be in my mid thirties before my dream is a reality. That means we will probably have a kid or two by then, a house, another dog, and a whole life before I even have a career and she will be the only one supporting our family. The plan as of now is I pay bills and handle money while she's in school and then we switch places when she's done (kinda just worked out like that actually). She will have absolutely zero loans upon graduation and I should have zero or close to zero as well (thank you tuition assistance/GI Bill).
I just feel really bummed that I didn't go straight into my undergrad after high school so I could save a few precious years. I don't regret the military at all; I've jumped out of airplanes, been all over the country and to 7 other countries before I'm even allowed to legally drink. I've saved lives, gone on high speed missions, shot bad guys, and made priceless friends. While the military has been amazing to me and actually showed me I want to become a doctor, it does bother me that I won't be for so long.
I've always been proud of my job and position so it's going to suck when people ask my attorney wife what her husband does and she says "he's in school...still". I could just go into biomedical engineering, PA, or something like that and actually have a career before we start our family and new life but my heart and mind are still pretty dead set on the MD (or DO).
Anyone else in training have a spouse with a career feel similar? I want to support my family, not be completed supported by it and giving back nothing for so long. I know when it's all over it'll be completely worth it but having no real job until your 35 really sucks in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I rather have a real job, being doing something that actually effects people, making some money to support my family, have a feeling of accomplishment and be proud going to work.
This really is my only path because I'm determined to be a physician. Like I said, this is more of a rant.