Debating on reapplying. last cycle really burned me. Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misunderst00d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am debating about whether or not I should reapply to allopathic us, osteopathic us, or attempt to go abroad (carribbean). If I do reapply, this will be my third cycle. Previously I have applied to about 25-30 schools and have gotten 1 interview. Keep in mind that my MCATs are expired and I would have to take the new version, which is honestly really freaking me out. Scheduled to take it in May for scores back on June 30th. I'm terrified of it but mostly because I'll probably do worse and if I do better... Will it even make a difference?

My app in a nutshell =

Asian california resident

BS in Physio and Neuro from a major UC, MS in Biology (same UC). UG cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.6 Grad GPA 3.97

35 MCAT (expired) ugh.....

7 quarters as a teaching assistant for upper div physio and neuro courses

5 years of research including - UG and grad work, working for a UC SOM for 1.5 years, and now working at major research hospital in Los Angeles.

3 Physiology publications two as third author one as second

350+ hours as clinical volunteer including telemetry units, icu, ed etc. run vitals, answer alarms, occasionally give CPR, clean and change pts you know CNA type stuff.

The one interview I had was for USUHS the military allopathic. Class has been full for a while so Ill probably just get waitlisted. Even then I was disqualified because of nearsightedness. The medical review board that dq'd me operates independently from the admissions decision. So literally I could be waitlisted (ranked waitlist btw) next week, offered acceptance in Apr when the waitlist moves, and still NOT be able to matriculate. That would kill me.

I seriously don't know what to do anymore to improve. My LOR's should be strong since I've know most and worked with them for 2 years on avg. I've reached out to schools, old profs, and my bosses for advice but all I get is the whole "we're receiving record numbers of applicants". I try not to hang around these threads too much bc I often feel more disappointed and discouraged than optimistic after. But I could really use some help.

Members don't see this ad.

What schools did you apply to and where is your state if residence ? You would be fine for DO schools. Apply broadly to 15 or more in June and submit your secondaries by July. Forget about Caribbean. You should receive several DO interviews.

So you had a 3.5 and a 35mcat and only got 1 interview from 25-30 schools? That seems strange.

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools did you apply to and where is your state if residence ? You would be fine for DO schools. Apply broadly to 15 or more in June and submit your secondaries by July. Forget about Caribbean. You should receive several DO interviews.

I live in california, so all of the UC's were pretty much reach schools. The remaining schools that I applied to were OOS, and were chosen based on stats (MCAT, GPA), and ranked accordingly by the number of OOS interviews offered (min 25%) and percentage of OOS matriculants. I don't currently have a DO letter, but will try to squeeze in some shadowing whenever possible. I work full time in research and the majority of my nights are now focused on this freaking new MCAT that I have to take. Suffice it to say, I am not too optimistic.

So you had a 3.5 and a 35mcat and only got 1 interview from 25-30 schools? That seems strange.

Tell me about it. Its just frustrating and discouraging. I've contacted my letter writers, med school profs I used to work with, admissions officers from my alma mater, and even department heads at the hospital I work at. I've sat down with them and had them read my essays and evaluate my application. They don't see any red flags. Mostly the response I get is that my GPA isn't the best and that there is just a record number of applicants year after year. They also mention that it doesn't help to be a california resident. Given my timeline, the only thing I can do is absolutely kill the MCAT (not so sure its possible though) and maybe really push it to be complete faster. I was complete in mid-august for the most part. I didn't think it was that late at the moment, but I absolutely regret it now. Feels like I wasted a 35.

you applied three times and never applied DO? what are you thinking...go shadow a DO and become a doctor

Reactions: 2 users
With those stats I find it very strange how you have only been called to one interview... There are plenty of people with lower grades/MCAT and less ECs who have been accepted. Do not get discouraged, you have came this far so you may as well see it through- retake the MCAT and apply as soon as possible.

Good luck!

you applied three times and never applied DO? what are you thinking...go shadow a DO and become a doctor

Including this cycle I have applied twice. And no I haven't applied to DO. I had always been warned that DO adcoms were very weary of being the second choice. Maybe it wasn't the best advice. If I muster up the ability to take this new MCAT and apply next cycle it will be my third time. And yes I will be applying to DO. Hubris is gone. This last cycle has humbled me beyond measure. Only thing that matters is practicing medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
If you need help with the DO side of things I can always read your PS or give some tips. I was accepted to a couple of DO schools including Western U (Pomona, CA).

A DO LOR isn't required at every school but it is preferred.

It's not like you're a 3rd time re-applicant w/ a 3.2/23 or something.

With your stats you're going to become a Dr.

Do not worry too much about the MCAT. You got a 35 previously and you do not need to score anything close to that to get into a DO school as long as you produce a good application. I know this process sucks. Being a Californian sucks (only for med school apps!). I had never been more depressed or anxious them during this past year applying to school. Try to hang in there and you will get what you want. If you can manage to get the equivalent of a 30 on the new MCAT you should be in a very strong position for the two California DO schools and others OOS DO schools. I would highly recommend shadowing a DO for at least a couple of days just so you can check the DO LOR box. This is your third time so it would be best not to leave a stone like that unturned.

I would also recommend reading The DO's by Norman Gevitz to help you write a strong personal statement for DO schools and ensure you are very competent for your DO interviews. It is a great history of the profession even though it does not cover anything during the past 10 years. I mentioned the book in every DO interview I have had this cycle and the interviewers seemed impressed that I had read it. If you can suck up to the osteopathic profession and your burning desire to become a physician then I think you can write a strong PS and secondary application. Good luck!

Do not worry too much about the MCAT. You got a 35 previously and you do not need to score anything close to that to get into a DO school as long as you produce a good application. I know this process sucks. Being a Californian sucks (only for med school apps!). I had never been more depressed or anxious them during this past year applying to school. Try to hang in there and you will get what you want. If you can manage to get the equivalent of a 30 on the new MCAT you should be in a very strong position for the two California DO schools and others OOS DO schools. I would highly recommend shadowing a DO for at least a couple of days just so you can check the DO LOR box. This is your third time so it would be best not to leave a stone like that unturned.

I would also recommend reading The DO's by Norman Gevitz to help you write a strong personal statement for DO schools and ensure you are very competent for your DO interviews. It is a great history of the profession even though it does not cover anything during the past 10 years. I mentioned the book in every DO interview I have had this cycle and the interviewers seemed impressed that I had read it. If you can suck up to the osteopathic profession and your burning desire to become a physician then I think you can write a strong PS and secondary application. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice ERK123. I'm of course going to be worried about the MCAT because its so new and I basically just started studying this week (May 22 test). Of course I want to do as well as possible but I'm just unsure about new format/section and my study time is very small because of my full time job. I will attempt to sneak in some DO shadowing in between and will definitely read The DO's prior to interview cycles. I should be able to get new/reupdated letters from my letter writers, a clinical letter from my program, and one the dept head at the hospital I work for. I'll deal with narrowing down my selections later.

As far as the PS goes, does anyone know of any good professional services that will be beneficial?