Debt and Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srwilson1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much debt do you guys plan on coming out of professional school with? Further, how is everyone deciding on which schools to attend based on cost and loans?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say about half of my class is going to come out with ~$200,000 in loans :(
Another 25% probably around ~$100,000 and the last 25% less than $75,000 with a few lucky souls getting a full ride either through their savings, their parents or military.

Honestly, tuition has gone up ~750% in the past 30 years while inflation only went up ~160% so go to the CHEAPEST school. Its the same degree. An OD is an OD and as you can see from the competitiveness, the cheaper schools have people with higher GPAs and higher OATs getting in for the most part.

Another 25% probably around ~$100,000 and the last 25% less than $75,000 with a few lucky souls getting a full ride either through their savings, their parents or military.

Honestly, tuition has gone up ~750% in the past 30 years while inflation only went up ~160% so go to the CHEAPEST school. Its the same degree. An OD is an OD and as you can see from the competitiveness, the cheaper schools have people with higher GPAs and higher OATs getting in for the most part.

Which schools are the cheapest?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree here. It's not worth taking out extra money. All of the schools have their strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day they offer the same degree. They have to have good academics to get you to pass your board exams. The clinical experience might differ somewhat in the patient population, but you also have your externships in order to diversify your experience.

I am going on a full military scholarship, so I plan on having 0 debt at graduation. Some of my monthly funds will be paying down debt from my post-bacc pre-req work though...but that's around $20k and I plan to chip away at it as much as possible! Will likely have a wee bit of that still lingering at graduation.

I am going on a full military scholarship, so I plan on having 0 debt at graduation. Some of my monthly funds will be paying down debt from my post-bacc pre-req work though...but that's around $20k and I plan to chip away at it as much as possible! Will likely have a wee bit of that still lingering at graduation.

Good for you, military is the way to go. I'm probably going to join after I graduate though since my debt load is going to be low. They give a sign-on bonus. Like $50k or something like that. But still not as good as a full scholarship.

Good for you, military is the way to go. I'm probably going to join after I graduate though since my debt load is going to be low. They give a sign-on bonus. Like $50k or something like that. But still not as good as a full scholarship.

Yep - and *sometimes* they say they will help with loan repayment. But check your paperwork for that and get it in writing. I knew someone who signed on after school and they told her they would help with loan repayment, then that wasn't on the paperwork the day she signed on the dotted line and it never happened. Regardless, she is still happy with her decision and is thinking about signing up for another tour. Good luck!

Nowadays, without any scholarships, with tuition + living fees, it's easily over >$200k in loans. For Salus & ICO, they estimated around 240k in loans at the end of 4 years. If finances are a concern and you like the city, SUNY has a good program and some of the cheapest tuition around.

Nowadays, without any scholarships, with tuition + living fees, it's easily over >$200k in loans. For Salus & ICO, they estimated around 240k in loans at the end of 4 years. If finances are a concern and you like the city, SUNY has a good program and some of the cheapest tuition around.

SUNY makes their tuition low because they know living in NY is expensive. At the end with housing and tuition it costs the same to other schools.

SUNY makes their tuition low because they know living in NY is expensive. At the end with housing and tuition it costs the same to other schools.

No, the tuition is low because it is subsidized by taxpayers. It is a public university. Also if you commute in using the metro north (45 minute commute) you can live outside of the city and pay normal rent prices like everyone else in the country.

No, the tuition is low because it is subsidized by taxpayers. It is a public university. Also if you commute in using the metro north (45 minute commute) you can live outside of the city and pay normal rent prices like everyone else in the country.

No. I used to live in NY. I know how expensive it is.

Yea, you lived in Yonkers, Westchester, Eastchester ?

"Originally Posted by OATAcer
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you guys lending your opinions at me. Let's think realistic in my situation here, how can I bring a 2.35overall GPA into a 3.0?"

Sorry but I won't give out personal information. Thanks.
Lol, just stop posting here. Make a new username or something because your reputation is tainted, you love contradicting yourself (2.35 GPA no surprise here) and nobody cares that you use tapatalk on your Galaxy Nexus.

"Originally Posted by OATAcer
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you guys lending your opinions at me. Let's think realistic in my situation here, how can I bring a 2.35overall GPA into a 3.0?"

Lol, just stop posting here. Make a new username or something because your reputation is tainted, you love contradicting yourself (2.35 GPA no surprise here) and nobody cares that you use tapatalk on your Galaxy Nexus.

Like I mentioned before to you, my gpa is not a 2.3 anymore. I have boosted it in the past 3 years now. Btw grades are not personal to me. I am not one of those people that hides or considers grades personal. Also, I don't use GPA to judge people unlike others. That was not personal information. Living in an area is personal. I will keep same user name, I have good people on here that do help me. Thanks to those people.

Automatically it says my phones name. Have a nice day.

Whatever, back to the point. If you live in the suburbs of NYC and you commute in by train you can save a lot on cost of living.

Rather drive and enjoy my car.

Just out of curiosity, is there a $11.00 toll like when you come from New Jersey through the mid town tunnel? (I have been to NYC once so I am a NYC newbie).

Just out of curiosity, is there a $11.00 toll like when you come from New Jersey through the mid town tunnel? (I have been to NYC once so I am a NYC newbie).

Ya, I'd believe so. There is a $12 toll on the George Washington Bridge to come into Manhattan and a $13 for the Verrazano Bridge between Brooklyn and Staten Island. You save a lot of money in NYC by not having a car here. You can go anywhere in the city for $2.25 using the subway.