Decent board scores, but nothing else - am I still competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skgn2121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS-3 with no research or significant volunteer/EC's to speak of.
COMLEX-1: scored in the 650-660 range
USMLE-1: scored in the 235-240 range
Considering: Rads, Anes, Ophtho, or possibly an IM fellowship.

I am concerned that my application is lacking beyond scores, and wonder if there are specialties where a lack of research/etc. won't be a red flag. Am I competitive for any of the aforementioned AOA residencies, or should I strongly consider taking USMLE-2, applying ACGME as well, and looking at less competitive tracks?

Members don't see this ad.

I am concerned that my application is lacking beyond scores, and wonder if there are specialties where a lack of research/etc. won't be a red flag. Am I competitive for any of the aforementioned AOA residencies, or should I strongly consider taking USMLE-2, applying ACGME as well, and looking at less competitive tracks?
From my anecdotal research I'm pretty sure at this moment your only reach is optho. Of course, you're early in 3rd year and have time to shore up your application for optho as well.

You should get involved in some research asap, especially if you want ophtho. While you can probably match somewhere for the others, you should get some research under your belt so you can match somewhere good. I'd also definitely shoot for the ACGME residencies. Very few of the AOA residencies can compare to the quality you will get at a mid tier ACGME residency. Take Step 2 as well.

Only do the research if you're actually interested in the research. A month or two of research here and there won't amount to much anyway. Check-box style did-this-done-that approach long gone.

No doubt about Step 2 though. Take it. COMLEX is a crap shoot.