Decent GPA…lower tier MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KDoc2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior Pre-Med and AZ resident and getting ready for all the joy that apps bring. Although I know I would be a great clinician, I feel as though my MCAT score may hold me back in the eyes of ADCOMs. My GPA at the moment is a 3.734 and the sGPA is about the same but I have 3 more semesters to get it up. ECs include:
1. 200+ hours volunteering at a local church
2. a semester mentoring "at risk" youth equating to about 70hrs

3. 90-100 shadowing hours( all MD)

4. research since my freshman year(I may have one publication by the end of it)
5. Global medical brigades Medical mission to Panama
6. An upcoming honours thesis
7. Multiple preceptorships including the establishment of a new OCHEM session I lovingly refer to as "synthesis workshop" after my school did away with discussion sections
8. One semester as a tutor

The kicker is that my MCAT score is only a 26 10verbal/8bio/8physical. I worked pretty hard to study for the exam and honestly don't think I could do better on this exam. What are my chances? Also I am a URM…African immigrant to the states only got citizenship in 2012. I'm also fluent in 6 languages including Spanish which is a big plus on the U.S. Any help or guidance anyone can give me would be amazing

Members don't see this ad.

@jonnythan, I was thinking about doing DO and I've looked into schools but I don't have shadowing experience with DOs. Would this hurt my app? Also I will probably be conducting some research over the summer which will culminate in a poster so that may help as well as volunteering in a local clinic in my college town during the semester

Members don't see this ad :)
With 3 more semesters... there's a lot you can do. I would personally include some serious work on re-taking the MCAT -- a few more points could make a big difference. It's great that you were able to get a 10 on verbal, as that's generally considered the hardest part to improve upon. You should be able to kick up the PS and BS with some tutoring or a structured class.

As @jonnythan said, also consider DO. AZCOM is a great school if you're interested in staying near home. There are a lot of DOs in AZ, and you have plenty of time to find one to shadow before June. Most schools require a DO letter (note: this may be a bit out of date), so yes, that's something you should do if applying DO.

Last edited:
Thanks @johnamo I think I will try and work at finding a DO to work with. As far as the MCAT goes, I took the summer to do it and I was relatively undisturbed except for a few hours a day a few days a week when I was coaching youth soccer so I'm not sure if I can pick it up but if the summer research doesn't pan out, I will take a run at the new MCAT

I'm sure you guys all went to bed already but what do you think about maybe applying to "historically black" MD schools such are Howard, Morehouse, etc and what I can expect from these institutions as far as recognition and residency placement

I think you still have a shot at low tier MD schools as well as historically black MD schools since you are URM

@jonnythan I'm black but I'm also a first generation American as my parents and I immigrated from Kenya

Look at MCAT Table 25. Your changes of an MD acceptance arw upwards of 75%. You sound like you have a great unique background so I think your chances are great. Apply broadly and definitely to HBCUs.

I've been doing some thinking and I think I may have a plan. I was thinking I could take a year off before applying to any type of medical school. An added benefit would be the chance to have my GPA as high as possible as well as get more EC hours in which would possibly include 2-4 semesters as an undergrad TA, more shadowing (including DO), more volunteer work and clinical experience possibly in the form of getting a CNA cert and working that way.

Also I would have a year to work at and polish my essays and establish possibly a larger pool of quality letters to choose from. Additionally I was thinking I'd sit down and without school distractions take 2months and grind out some serious MCAT time and test by June 2017 making me an overall stronger candidate. My thought process is that I would optimally prefer to apply only once and I'd like to be the best possible applicant that I can be. Thoughts?

Concur. 26 is lethal for MD schools. AZCOM's minimum is a 29. Skip the NY and CA Touros, CCOM and Western.

I didn't notice that you are a URM...that changes the equation and you chances are better than I had thought for MD and DO. I think it's worth talking a crack at an app cycle to see how things shake out. And yes, definitely try the HBCs.

So you think I should give it a go before trying out plan B? Also forgot to note that this semester is be doing 8hrs a week as a unit secretary and monitor tech if that counts in any way towards clinical experiences

I didn't notice that you are a URM...that changes the equation and you chances are better than I had thought for MD and DO. I think it's worth talking a crack at an app cycle to see how things shake out. And yes, definitely try the HBCs.

Never posted back but the advice from you all helped a lot. Ended up retaking the MCAT unfortunately had to take the new one but all went well and I got a 517...amazing what some self belief can do. Ended up publishing a cool paper and getting multiple acceptances to choose from for next year. @Goro you're the man(or woman idk which)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks you guys made me realise I needed to get it in gear. Could have applied with the 26 but I sat down and studied and along with more classes really was able to step it up! Also had a good friend as a study buddy. Plus figured that a new score would show I at least tried to improve if the equivalent only got to like 29ish

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users