Decent scores/Bad ECs, Ambitious. Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToStrikeInfinit

Microarray Swordmaster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10571

Pretty much says it all. Patient contact/volunteering/pubs should all be coming this summer before interviews happen. Is that soon enough? Is there anything else I should do before interviews happen? Weaknesses I should cover?

Members don't see this ad.

lol @ decent scores

Do they even need to interview you with those scores? I don't think you'll have any problems...

Members don't see this ad :)
WHOAH MAN...those are amazing scores!

Just do what you can to volunteer/ get some touching stories about why you want to do medicine.

You are either fishing or lying. If you are smart enough to get a 43 on the mCAT and have a near perfect GPA and 3 years of genetic research at the age of 20, you should know you are golden. Even with no patient care I would have trouble seeing you not get in one decent research school. Maybe your research involved nothing more than data entry, but given the fact that you mentioned publications I think you're okay.

Not fishing, friend, but its funny that you think so. I just keep hearing horror stories about people not getting into anywhere that they apply and what-have-you, and its kind of a persistent doubt.

Not fishing, friend, but its funny that you think so. I just keep hearing horror stories about people not getting into anywhere that they apply and what-have-you, and its kind of a persistent doubt.

What I've seen about those stories is that people with good numbers get the interview invitations, blow the interview because they're super cocky, and then wonder exactly what went wrong.

Either that, or they apply only to the top 5 med schools in the nation, and bad luck weeds them out with the rest.

I do believe your scores and research mean you're solid for interviews at many places. So long as you can solidly answer the question, "Why do you want to be a doctor?", and so long as you don't bone the interview... I'd say you're going to be a doctor.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10571

Pretty much says it all. Patient contact/volunteering/pubs should all be coming this summer before interviews happen. Is that soon enough? Is there anything else I should do before interviews happen? Weaknesses I should cover?

Honestly if you have dreams of the top schools it almost pays to spend a year to get the ECs in order for a longer time. It would be a shame to squander outstanding scores by applying before you have the whole package. You are currently potentially going to be seen as too one dimensional. An uber smart research type without much else. This is something you can fix if you aren't in too much of a rush. If you don't fix it, you might not get into all the places you ought to. You'll probably get interviews, don't get me wrong, and then it will be up to you to get in someplace. But I'm guessing with a more rounded app you would do even better.

Honestly if you have dreams of the top schools it almost pays to spend a year to get the ECs in order for a longer time. It would be a shame to squander outstanding scores by applying before you have the whole package.

I considered that, and am still seriously considering it. But I plan on continuing the ECs until I actually matriculate, and I've put a bunch of damage control into it this summer. Like a volunteer job with lots of patient contact and a good deal of shadowing is lined up. Also, isn't there a tradeoff with med schools expecting more out of you with that extra year?

Also thanks to NYB for his advice - I'll be sure to keep a lid on the arrogance during interviews :)

Speaking of which, what's the best way to let schools about ongoing developments after the AMCAS itself is submitted? I feel like if I can do that in a good way, I'll be a lot better off.

You are currently potentially going to be seen as too one dimensional. An uber smart research type without much else. This is something you can fix if you aren't in too much of a rush. If you don't fix it, you might not get into all the places you ought to. You'll probably get interviews, don't get me wrong, and then it will be up to you to get in someplace. But I'm guessing with a more rounded app you would do even better.

Unfortunately I'm a pretty one-D as a person; I'd probably fail a Turing test on a really bad day. I'm hoping to flesh it out with the tutoring and previous experience in hospitals. And the fact that I want to go MD/PhD I think will slightly help my chances.

In general, it seems like you're suggesting that past the secondary, admissions basically hinges on the interview. Is that really true? If so, I think I'll do fine - I have a feeling I can get some good practice interviews done, and the committee said my interviewing skills were good.

On a pedantic note, I'm not sure being one-dimensional in the way that you suggest is really a bad thing; I realize my app makes it seem that I'm One-D, and in some ways I am. But people that actually talk to me refer to me as focused, but with a variety of interests that don't necessarily manifest on an application. Is a slew of ECs really the way to prove whether a person is three-dimensional? Or does it just show lack of focus?

The 43 is a novelty. I'm sure you'll have success with interviews... ECs seem fine though.

There was a similar case a while ago (a guy with a 45 and a 3.9 GPA). He got several interviews but several waitlists and 1 acceptance (at a mid tier school... Boston U). It may have been b/c of his extracurriculars? But that applies to anyone with a lack of ECs.

Honestly if you have dreams of the top schools it almost pays to spend a year to get the ECs in order for a longer time. It would be a shame to squander outstanding scores by applying before you have the whole package. You are currently potentially going to be seen as too one dimensional. An uber smart research type without much else. This is something you can fix if you aren't in too much of a rush. If you don't fix it, you might not get into all the places you ought to. You'll probably get interviews, don't get me wrong, and then it will be up to you to get in someplace. But I'm guessing with a more rounded app you would do even better.
Requirements are different for MD/PhD programs. They care a lot more about your research ECs and less about the normal premed ECs than MD-only programs do.

OP, it's still a good idea to get in some additional shadowing and volunteering experience like you're planning though. A lot of schools will consider you for their MD program if you're not accepted to the MD/PhD program. And no, it's not necessary to save children in Ghana. But the advice to not be cocky is good--I applied with a 43 MCAT too, and you'd be amazed how many interviewers and admissions directors out-and-out bragged to me about the high-stat folks they had rejected in the past. As if that was really what I wanted to hear on my interview day. :p

Best of luck to you. :) Oh, and leave the play station playing off your AMCAS. ;)

Quite frankly, I don't see how any medical school could refuse to at least grant you an interview with your grades, scores, and research. And if you don't come off as a machine in your interview, you are in. Stop worrying.

if those are decent scores, i am so doomed.

Stop it people... we all are not doomed.

If Dr. Dre could get his medical degree, we all can. Now... we just need to know where he went for medical school...